Question Why won't laptop recognize new wireless network?

sl68

Jul 25, 2004
My household is switching over from **&* "high speed" internet to *** cable high speed internet.I bought my own modem and wireless router.My modem is working fine.I thought I was having a problem setting up the router.Turns out,it's the laptop I was using that can't connect.I've already set up a desktop wirelessly with no problem,same for **** sattelite.This laptop though can't see the new router's ssid though it's broadcasting.It sees the old network and various neighbor's networks.I can't figure this out.Granted,it is an older laptop,but the drivers are up to date.It's running windows 7 btw.

Last edited:

sl68

Jul 25, 2004
The router is the Asus RT-AX58U.The laptop is a HP Pavilion g7-1237 dx,and the network adapter is a Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter.It has the most up to date drivers available.I can connect to the router by way of the built-in ethernet port on the laptop,otherwise,nothing.

Edit:I'm wondering if maybe I need to update the wifi card on this laptop,since it is so old.It's probably about 10 years old I'd guess.

Last edited:

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Do you have separate SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands? 'Smart connect' enabled--which lets the router manage connections?

Try separate SSID names (e.g., sl68_24 and sl68_5) and different password for the two bands. Some older hardware works better on the stand-alone 2.4 GHz band.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If that doesn't work, another option is to boot up a Linux live distro via CD or USB, and see if it works in Linux. If it does, then it's probably a Windows problem/ driver. If it doesn't, mostly like time for an upgrade

sl68

Jul 25, 2004
I tried running seperate bands,but it didn't matter.I suspect the laptop needs an updated nic.The laptop belongs to a family member who won't give up their old laptop.Guess it's time to figure out which nic will fit it.Thanks for all the suggestions.

sl68

Jul 25, 2004
I already figured things out,thanks.I had an old usb wireless n adapter in the closet that I tried,and the new network was instantly recognized.It's a little slow,so I ordered a dual range 802.11ac adapter to do the job.

Edit:I don't know why I didn't think about usb sooner.Guess I forgot I had the thing in storage.