Why "white pride" not [place of origin] pride?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
So based on history you should never be proud of your present?

I mean, in that regard, no race or nation should be proud if we can just dig up prejudice and cherry pick things?
Be proud of your heritage. Just don't be a dick about it. This applies to all race.

Whoever said you should be ashamed of being white? That's a load of BS.

Reactions: Mike64

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ok, so I know my white people questions have a tendency to be offensive, and I've been trying very hard to empathize instead of painting broad strokes. The more I think about people from my wife's midwestern hometown (and relatives I clashed with), I'm learning to I understand how it could seem unfair with asians, hispanics, and others are allowed to shout their pride from rooftops, white people aren't allowed to share in that ethnic pride without coming off as racists.. it must be frustrating, but i'm wondering why a sense of "AMERICAN white pride" needs to exist, instead of being proud of being irish, german, etc.? I get how it must suck not being able to express yourself, but why gather under a WHITE PRIDE banner when all of them have mixed and interesting lineage. Like my wife - french, german, english, scottish and who knows what else - i feel zero issues teaching my kids to be proud of each of those traditions adding indian, middle eastern, and new york native from my side (man, is the food banging and how we express our ethnic pride delicious), but as a brown person wouldn't be all that into helping with their WHITE PRIDE. so what's with that? it's not like you don't have very interesting stories in your backgrounds to be proud of (i never stop great grand dad from telling stories about their journey from europe, it's kinda badass pioneer stuff).. Most of the brown people I know aren't proud of being black/brown, but are proud jamaicans, proud african-americans, proud indians, etc. while "black pride" surely exists, most of the people have more specific banners.. i myself am apathetic 1st gen born in the us, so whatever to me. but i get it.. So why the angst and "white pride" when you guys have a lot of amazing culture and accomplishments to celebrate?

paragraphs save lives

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ya think?

1ik0lo3gl8vz.jpg

If something like this screams "racism" to you - then you have a serious mental issue.

It screams naivete to me and was probably posted by a 10 year old. Only such a person is this ignorant of the world. Racism? Maybe not...ignorant child brain? absolutely.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
If you move to a majority other race country, India, China, Parts of Africa, etc. and after you attempt to assimilate. I guess you can have a block party and express yourself.

Otherwise don't be a dick about it.

Reactions: Mike64

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I am proud of my rich Hylian heritage descended from a noble line of heroes.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Ya think?

1ik0lo3gl8vz.jpg

If something like this screams "racism" to you - then you have a serious mental issue.

I have no idea if this was posted with racist intent behind it. I would have to know the person and their agenda to say for sure, and perhaps the person calling it "Nazi propaganda" does. But I will say that most prudent, semi-intelligent folks would understand the HUGE potential for such an ambiguous statement to be taken as such.

I'd much rather have the Rodney King quote "Can't we all just get along?" plastered to the bumper of my car than "It's okay to be white." One is a very clear statement, while the other is open to multiple interpretations.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Be proud of your heritage. Just don't be a dick about it. This applies to all race.

Whoever said you should be ashamed of being white? That's a load of BS.
I'm sure there are some radical extremists who think you should be ashamed of it, he probably heard about them and wants to act like they're notable.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I'm still working on ancestry.com but I think I have a good bit of Irish in me so I'm going to start promoting "Irish power". I do drink a lot of Irish whiskey. If it turns out I'm mostly Scottish then I'll promote "Scotch power".

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
And this, boys and girls, is why it is impossible to have a rational discussion anymore about pretty much any topic that is slightly emotionally charged. I'll readily admit that there are plenty of idiots on the right, but this cliche lib response is why many of us who would otherwise attempt to have measured conversation on subjects like this are tuning out.

How else are violently xenophobic racists from European backgrounds whose agenda really consists solely of antagonism towards anyone they don't consider to be "just like them" supposed to express their solidarity with others of their kind? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean, knowwhatImean?*)

-------------------------------
* With apologies to John Cleese and the rest of Monty Python, none of whom, afaik, is or was ever a violently racist xenophobe...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I am descended from Tejanos and English/Scottish immigrants from before the revolution. I have not been able to trace one single fracking person that actually came here from another country outside of Mexico and they were just kind of in the area when Texas became a thing so not really immigrants. I am not going to celebrate some European heritage that no one in my family has been in for at least 300 years. But since I am a verifiable 5th generation Texan and my family has been here since it was part of Mexico I will identify as Texan first. Granted that is kinda normal for Texans most don't have that much history here.

I don't give two shits about celebrating being white but I do find it weird that if I were to run around celebrating that I am Hispanic I could but if I did the same saying I was white it probably wouldn't turn out well.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
And this, boys and girls, is why it is impossible to have a rational discussion anymore about pretty much any topic that is slightly emotionally charged. I'll readily admit that there are plenty of idiots on the right, but this cliche lib response is why many of us who would otherwise attempt to have measured conversation on subjects like this are tuning out.
Spare me. Show me one public proponent of "white pride" in the history of any country where "white pride" has ever been a "slogan" who wasn't in fact a racist xenophobe (and usually anti-religions-other-than-their-own, anti-gay - even if when they're just as lily white as the proud proclaimers of the color of their skin and from the same national/cultural background) or in a nutshell, who was isn't basically anti-<everyone who isn't just like them and who agrees with their social and political view>, and I might agree.

Nov 8, 2012
Spare me. Show me one public proponent of "white pride" in the history of any country where "white pride" has ever been a "slogan" who wasn't in fact a racist xenophobe (and usually anti-religions-other-than-their-own, anti-gay - even if when they're just as lily white as the proud proclaimers of the color of their skin and from the same national/cultural background) or in a nutshell, who was isn't basically anti-<everyone who isn't just like them and who agrees with their social and political view>, and I might agree.

I have no shame in being white. Does that mean I'm about white pride and am xenophobic even though I'm married to a Latin and have already therefore disproved that bullshit narrative?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
There’s a lot less than this than people think, and the pride generally comes back to their lineage to the old country and what their ancestors accomplished or supposedly did etc. White pride as manybthink of it is merely a backlash against what they see as racism towards whites. But like I said it’s not very prevelant (and I live in the deep frickin south at that). Certainly exists but most around here are classist way way more so than they are racist.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Einstein said: "Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind."

I happen to be white through no action or fault of my own. It is something for which I have no pride and no shame.

Reactions: brianmanahan
Aug 11, 2008
Personally, I find all the "Pride" groups offensive. White Pride, gay pride, black pride, whatever. Let the person be proud of what they have done, not what particular group they belong to based on something they did nothing to obtain. The same with the hype about ancestry DNA. I dont really care where my ancestors came from, whether one of them was a famous person, or even if some were terrible people.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I kinda agree and disagree, it adds culture to the world which is good. People embracing different ancestral cultures is a cool thing. But the forcing it upon everyone else I disagree with.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I believe you are confusing race with country of origin. I was actually thinking about this albeit a little differently this morning after reading the local paper about Desantis selecting a female Cuban-American for a state judge position. The slightly left leaning paper IMO, Tampa Bay Times, couldn’t stop saying Cuban-American and providing details on her ancestry. I’m ok with that. I started thinking about some of the newly elected politians using their county of origin, Somali-American, African-American, Mexican-American, etc. and how the MSM was really pushing that aspect. Contrast that with politicians of Irish, English, Scottish, German , French, etc. descent where the MSM or the people never mention it. I guess the folks using their country of origin are promoting what could be considered their minority non-white racial roots versus majority white racial roots.

Youve never heard an American banging on about thow they are actually Irish/Scottish/German/etc? Because I've never met an American that doesnt go on about their grannies third cousin 5 times removed that came from Galway and thats why they drink so much and like a fight.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Be proud of where you are and what you do not what you were and what you left.

Unless its sports then shout for whoever you want then beers involved!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm 75% Scottish so I'm basically best friends with Gordon Ramsey and Patrick Stewart.

I'm not sure I trust those DNA tests anyway - several people in my family have been getting them and we all get pretty different results.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Youve never heard an American banging on about thow they are actually Irish/Scottish/German/etc? Because I've never met an American that doesnt go on about their grannies third cousin 5 times removed that came from Galway and thats why they drink so much and like a fight.

I’m guessing you’re hearing it because you’re in Great Britain and Americans you are talking to are trying to relate to you? The only time I hear people here in the US talk about country of origin is when they’re talking about ancestry.com.

But I was actually referring to the way the US MSM focuses on certain countries of origin and not others pertaining to political candidates and politicians.

Mar 15, 2003
Personally, I find all the "Pride" groups offensive. White Pride, gay pride, black pride, whatever. Let the person be proud of what they have done, not what particular group they belong to based on something they did nothing to obtain. The same with the hype about ancestry DNA. I dont really care where my ancestors came from, whether one of them was a famous person, or even if some were terrible people.

I agree with you, be judged on your accomplishments, not how you were born. but then we'd lose ethnic food, and ethnic food is awesome, so i'm conflicted. and I get gay pride, a certain generation had to have hutzpah and grit to break the closet cycle, but some trust fund baby who's sexuality's only helped his career in the arts can suck it, in my opinion. like 60 year old lesbians tell the dopest stories of bravery and overcoming fear, props.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Sigh. You totally missed my point. Not even remotely surprising. You need to get out of the safe space of liberal cliches and see that there's a bigger picture that you perpetually miss. This is why I very seldom ever engage in discussion like this anymore. Not saying that I know everything or anything arrogant like that. It's just that you're far to narrow-minded to genuinely engage. Have a nice life in your safe little cocoon of pigeon-holing everyone that disagrees with you.

A final thought. I'm not referring to the people that you're identifying in your reply to my post. I have NO time for those people either.

Peace out, little brother.