Why "white pride" not [place of origin] pride?

Mar 15, 2003
Ok, so I know my white people questions have a tendency to be offensive, and I've been trying very hard to empathize instead of painting broad strokes. The more I think about people from my wife's midwestern hometown (and relatives I clashed with), I'm learning to I understand how it could seem unfair with asians, hispanics, and others are allowed to shout their pride from rooftops, white people aren't allowed to share in that ethnic pride without coming off as racists.. it must be frustrating, but i'm wondering why a sense of "AMERICAN white pride" needs to exist, instead of being proud of being irish, german, etc.? I get how it must suck not being able to express yourself, but why gather under a WHITE PRIDE banner when all of them have mixed and interesting lineage. Like my wife - french, german, english, scottish and who knows what else - i feel zero issues teaching my kids to be proud of each of those traditions adding indian, middle eastern, and new york native from my side (man, is the food banging and how we express our ethnic pride delicious), but as a brown person wouldn't be all that into helping with their WHITE PRIDE. so what's with that? it's not like you don't have very interesting stories in your backgrounds to be proud of (i never stop great grand dad from telling stories about their journey from europe, it's kinda badass pioneer stuff).. Most of the brown people I know aren't proud of being black/brown, but are proud jamaicans, proud african-americans, proud indians, etc. while "black pride" surely exists, most of the people have more specific banners.. i myself am apathetic 1st gen born in the us, so whatever to me. but i get it.. So why the angst and "white pride" when you guys have a lot of amazing culture and accomplishments to celebrate?

Last edited:

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
i'm wondering why a sense of "AMERICAN white pride" needs to exist
How else are violently xenophobic racists from European backgrounds whose agenda really consists solely of antagonism towards anyone they don't consider to be "just like them" supposed to express their solidarity with others of their kind? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean, knowwhatImean?*)

-------------------------------
* With apologies to John Cleese and the rest of Monty Python, none of whom, afaik, is or was ever a violently racist xenophobe...

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Typical proponents of "white pride" (which, as I read his post, do not include the OP, if that's where you were going with your question) typically have a strong tendency toward expressing their "pride" through rather violent language and behavior, or hadn't you noticed that particular characteristic of the, er, cohort...?

Last edited:

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
What do you suppose would happen if a white person entered this thread extolling the virtues of being white? Really, what do you think would happen?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What do you suppose would happen if a white person entered this thread extolling the virtues of being white? Really, what do you think would happen?
I get to drink milk* and make my own vitamin D, mofos!

* Actually, I've developed a lactose intolerance as an adult. :(

Reactions: DietDrThunder

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
What is this "white pride" of which you speak? It's American pride.

Any angst over patriotism is uniquely for liberals. Totally ignorant and misguided. There's is nothing to "get." Celebrate your Americanism unabashed.

The whole point of this country is to unify around a common standard here, not segregate ourselves into little communities defined by ancestral origin (granted Chinatown is a thing). Ex-Indians, Ex-Jamaicans, Ex-Mexicans are all welcome to join in the America love fest.

Sure recent arrivals may have a lingering fondness of foreign customs or styles, no problem. But as they say ... "when in Rome ..."

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, this is a discussion that is destined for transfer to P&N.

Personally, I do find it interesting when people decide to focus their attention on one aspect of themselves and promote it as the most important. And that is especially true when it is something that IMHO says little about a person, such as height, skin color, hair or ancestry. It makes more sense to me to look at (and take pride in) aspects of a person that he/she can (at least partially) control, such as fitness, education, competence, and morals.

It seems to me that feeling any sort of personal worth based on one's ancestral origins is essentially claiming some credit for the things that they accomplished. IMHO this is just the flip side of the "sins of the father" idea. I think it is better for each person to focus on what he/she actually does.

My two cents...

Reactions: Mike64
Nov 8, 2012
Obligatory

hqdefault.jpg

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i'm proud of the german side of my family for leaving germany right before the world wars, because otherwise that would have been awkward...

like chaotic said, i'm personally bigger on personal accomplishment than group accomplishment. but i'm cool with people celebrating group achievement and uniqueness too. some people get upset way too much about the things other people celebrate.

everyone's free to celebrate what they want and i see no reason to poop on their parade.

Reactions: ctbaars

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'm a proud Lübecker too but the family left after being shot and raped.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I believe you are confusing race with country of origin. I was actually thinking about this albeit a little differently this morning after reading the local paper about Desantis selecting a female Cuban-American for a state judge position. The slightly left leaning paper IMO, Tampa Bay Times, couldn’t stop saying Cuban-American and providing details on her ancestry. I’m ok with that. I started thinking about some of the newly elected politians using their county of origin, Somali-American, African-American, Mexican-American, etc. and how the MSM was really pushing that aspect. Contrast that with politicians of Irish, English, Scottish, German , French, etc. descent where the MSM or the people never mention it. I guess the folks using their country of origin are promoting what could be considered their minority non-white racial roots versus majority white racial roots.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I think it's great to take pride in, preserve and celebrate your culture and share it with others. The problems start when someone uses pride in their own race to justify their hate of others. Like anything else, American pride can be a very good or very bad thing depending on the person expressing it. There is no reason to stop celebrating America or any other culture because some racist assholes have hijacked patriotism to mask their hate. Celebrate your Americanism by showing love for others in defiance of these assholes.

Reactions: Mike64 and Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It's too late to give write out a nice thought like Paladin3 did.

In short, it's kind of in a bad form to flaunt 'white power' when you're already at the top of the socioeconomic rung, given the colonizing history and continued stuff going on today.

That's all there's to it.

Nov 8, 2012

In short, it's kind of in a bad form to flaunt 'white power' when you're already at the top of the socioeconomic rung, given the colonizing history and continued stuff going on today.

So based on history you should never be proud of your present?

I mean, in that regard, no race or nation should be proud if we can just dig up prejudice and cherry pick things?

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

Flaunting "white power" as it's currently defined in America is pretty much always a negative. But just because some white power racist idiots advocate hatred of non-whites does not mean anyone has to be ashamed of being white. That's judging all folks of one race to be guilty of the bad actions of a small minority of the demographic. And that's wrong to do for any race, even whitey.

Reactions: Zeze
Nov 8, 2012
Flaunting "white power" as it's currently defined in America is pretty much always a negative. But just because some white power racist idiots advocate hatred of non-whites does not mean anyone has to be ashamed of being white. That's judging all folks of one race to be guilty of the bad actions of a small minority of the demographic. And that's wrong to do for any race, even whitey.

Ya think?

1ik0lo3gl8vz.jpg

If something like this screams "racism" to you - then you have a serious mental issue.

Last edited: