Why was the title of this forum changed???

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
You know we hate change. Just alter the layout, colors, spacing, etc. and folks go bonkers complaining. So why was this renamed OT Discussion Club?

Reactions: highland145

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Looks like maybe they merged a couple of forums. Wasn't there a 'discussion club' forum or something like that before? I'm not sure I ever visited it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Yep, a few forums were merged and a few new ones created.
And a couple more were renamed. Mostly in tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep, a few forums were merged and a few new ones created.
And a couple more were renamed. Mostly in tech.
So frikken confusing, like a new version of Windows, where they moved all of your settings.

Well, OK, not really, but you get the picture.

Hopefully, the changes help and don't hurt the forum. Though, if I were in charge, I would have left "Off Topic", simply still be titled "Off Topic". It's been a tradition, ATOT and all.

(Maybe keep the forum name "Off Topic", but change the description text to "and discussion club"?)

Edit: Not that I have any pull over the say of this place, but just trying to make a suggestion.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I can't imagine there will be any difference in ATOT. Just means that they killed discussion club and dumped all the old threads into this forum.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So frikken confusing, like a new version of Windows, where they moved all of your settings.

Well, OK, not really, but you get the picture.

Hopefully, the changes help and don't hurt the forum. Though, if I were in charge, I would have left "Off Topic", simply still be titled "Off Topic". It's been a tradition, ATOT and all.

(Maybe keep the forum name "Off Topic", but change the description text to "and discussion club"?)

Edit: Not that I have any pull over the say of this place, but just trying to make a suggestion.
TBF the names in the software section make a lot more sense now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's some dumb shit. Discussion club should have been quietly dumped into OT or P&N, and nothing said of it again. A sticky advising reporting trolling threads?! Might as well just lock the door. That's all OT is...

Reactions: highland145

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I hardly ever look at any of the tech forums, except occasionally when I see something pop up in 'New Posts'. But why are there still 'Mice' and 'Keyboards' forums, of all things? Each has maybet 10 active threads since the start of the year.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But why are there still 'Mice' and 'Keyboards' forums, of all things? Each has maybet 10 active threads since the start of the year.
I just remember the Peripherals sub-forum, I don't remember any specific "Mice" or "Keyboards" sub-sub-forums, before this re-org.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
They still show EagleKeeper as a Mod of the discussion forms. Was that never edited or is he back? What about Chucky, is he still around?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I don't like OT being merged with DC. It is going to get confusing and civility in DC will be dead.

Reactions: KeithP

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL did they fracture the forums even MORE?

The A/V forum is now the Audio forum and a TV forum? The A/V forum had like 1 new post a day as it already is. It looks like there are more forums too such as "Ask an IT professional" or whatever it is.

Jesus and I thought the people who did this forum fracturing like 10 years ago were idiots, when this place had 10000x more users than it does now. And now they fracture the community even more?

PmhD1km.gif

A bunch of idiots are running this place now. This place was so much better when OT was OT and there weren't 500 different OT forums.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Change in forums is bad generally remember when it changed software, lost a lot of people then.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
That's some dumb shit. Discussion club should have been quietly dumped into OT or P&N, and nothing said of it again. A sticky advising reporting trolling threads?! Might as well just lock the door. That's all OT is...
Outside of OT, though... I'm getting tired of the "I'm too stupid to breathe" parody threads that people start in the help forums.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Luminaries?

a person who inspires or influences others, especially one prominent in a particular sphere.

Bwahahahahaaaa.

haha.
us lifers are dumb af
Outside of OT, though... I'm getting tired of the "I'm too stupid to breathe" parody threads that people start in the help forums.
So I was looking through SpyFu, just to learn more about it and try it out, you'd be surprised the queries that get people to land on the forums of AT.

(here's a link to the analysis: https://www.spyfu.com/overview/domain?query=anandtech.com)

Organic keywords
80550aeed9.png

Renters insuance ->> forums.anandtech.com/threads/who-do-you-have-your-renters-insuance-with-and-how-much.308074

student loan conslidation->> https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/student-loan-conslidation-advice.2162924/

These two are our most valuable organic keywords and they aren't even spelled right (which probably is the reason why they're our most valuable since no one competes in them