Why was Gov. Gray Davis bad?

MaDHaVoK

Mar 7, 2001
I'm not from California... can someone explain what he did that pissed Californians off soo much?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
he was naughty, he didn't play nice

or something

i guess since he isn't a politician anymore , this isn't a "Politics and News" thread

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Not so much what he did...more what he didn't do. He was governer during the worst financial crisis in Cali history, and he couldn't fix it. Also, the man has NO charisma. I don't how he got elected to begin with.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I'd be pissed if my Drivers License wasn't taken as a valid ID in other states

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
He accepted "donations" to his campaign from companies he passed bills to support...

That's the short of it.

He also allowed the Cali energy crisis to happen and signed some really bad contracts with the energy companies.

I still don't think a recall was the right thing to do, but it's happened now, and I certainly wouldn't vote for him.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
So... Half the people that bitched to take out Davis likely didn't vote in the Recall. Poetic justice, recalled a experienced politician, for an action hero actor. That should solve all their problems.

Nothing against Arnold, but I doubt he could work the system any better then Davis.

What a crock of sheit.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I thought Jay Leno's comments about Arnold were hilarious: "His critics said he's not a politician, but an actor... So the critics are finally calling him an actor!"

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs
So... Half the people that bitched to take out Davis likely didn't vote in the Recall. Poetic justice, recalled a experienced politician, for an action hero actor. That should solve all their problems.

Nothing against Arnold, but I doubt he could work the system any better then Davis.

What a crock of sheit.

the "experience" of gray davis brought out state to a mess.

california has been really anti-business... and they're wondering why people and companies are moving out. i hope arnold can at least fix the business environment that the dems destroyed. california dems are too left.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
I voted for McClintock. Davis didn't recognize that a bubble existed and kept spending $

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Regs

What a crock of sheit.

You're on the other side of the country. Shut up.

First, Grey dropped the ball COMPLETELY on the energy crisis. Second, he's not doing ANYTHING about the immigrant problem. Not only have excessive funds been allocated to HELPING them leech off the system, now they can DRIVE LEGALLY. THAT IS SO FANTASTIC. I AM GLAD THAT THERE WILL BE MORE UNINSURED CARS ON THE ROAD.

Third, he's a democrat, and California is already leaning WAY TOO MUCH toward the left. Arnold has a very middle-of-the-road social agenda which is great for the state, and hopefully he can wrangle things toward the right and help out all the businesses that hate being in CA because of the taxes.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I would be pissed about:

*Taxes were increased rather than spending cut when the recession hit. In fact, spending outpaced inflation AND population increases by a huge margin.

*Drivers licenses to illegals.

*Benefits to illegals.

There are many more issues, but those alone would make me vote to recall him.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Not so much what he did...more what he didn't do. He was governer during the worst financial crisis in Cali history, and he couldn't fix it. Also, the man has NO charisma. I don't how he got elected to begin with.

I was under the impression that he casued the financial crisis the first time he was elected.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
What the hell? Davis might of done a lousy job, but why the hell elect some one who doesn't even bother to show up for political debates?

Who the hell gave you the right to tell anybody to shut up? For god sakes, read through a post before replying back with such subjection. My point was, how do you think Arnold would better Grey Davis?

Just because I live on the other side of the United states, does not mean it does not involve me too. And come on, you enjoy a good argument, helps get your point accross. If you left out the rest of the United States you would be awfuly board in the Politics and News forum ;)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: spanky
Originally posted by: LAUST
I'd be pissed if my Drivers License wasn't taken as a valid ID in other states

how is this gray davis' fault?

:confused:

yup, while davis is ussually moderate, he flubbed by voting for that illegal immigrant driver license thing. dug his grave.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Davis took bad situations and made them worse isntead of better or even maintaining a status quo. His pandering the the Hispanic Community in an effort to save his job through measures enacted by him in favor of Illegals was just the frosting on the cake.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
During the crappy econmy that we've been having lately, especially in California where a few years ago the tech sector was so strong, Davis has done pretty much nothing to help at all.
He fudged the whole energy crisis thing so that we were paying a lot more for electricity than the rest of the country.
He passed the law that raised many people's car registration fees to over $1000/year.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
davis waited until energy prices were at their highest to sign huge, long term contracts with out of state energy companies against the recommendations of even his own aides and consultants. the funny thing is that people blame that on deregulation when it really has to do with stupidity.

he also signed numerous contracts with all kinds of unions that give them higher pay every year and more days off no matter the situation of the budget.

he has also signed tons of bills these last few weeks in office. he was trying to make as many people as possible happy but he has also created an even bigger headache for the state as soon as he leaves--pretty sleazy stuff.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I think tripling the car registration fees was the last straw.
And he misled the public about the financial situation during the last campaign. It came out later that he had deceived the public to keep them from realizing how bad things were.
Just like in Oregon, he raised taxes instead of cutting spending when the economy was down.
People don't like to have more of their money taken away when they are already struggling with lower wages and reduced benefits due to the recession. All while the government continues to increase spending on programs that many people see as wasteful.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Hmm, where to start.

Tripling of the the car tax (annual auto registration fees-mine is going to go from aroun $170 to $510 PER YEAR for a 2003 Nissan Maxima!!!)
Drivers Licenses for Illegal Immigrants (this is why many states have now decided not to accept a California drivers license as a valid form of ID).
Energy debacle
Spending out of control - $38 billion dollar deficit

Davis is a proven money whore also. It is well documented that he has taken millions in campaign contributions in return for favors. He claims to be pro-environment but then for a nice fat campaign contribution he passes a law that doubles the amount of dioxins that a company in the San Francisco bay area can dump into the bay!

I signed the petition for recalling Davis, I voted yes on the recall and I voted for Arnold. The "Experienced Polititian" arguement holds no water with me. Davis is the worst governor this state has EVER had!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: kaizersose
davis waited until energy prices were at their highest to sign huge, long term contracts with out of state energy companies against the recommendations of even his own aides and consultants. the funny thing is that people blame that on deregulation when it really has to do with stupidity.

he also signed numerous contracts with all kinds of unions that give them higher pay every year and more days off no matter the situation of the budget.

he has also signed tons of bills these last few weeks in office. he was trying to make as many people as possible happy but he has also created an even bigger headache for the state as soon as he leaves--pretty sleazy stuff.

you have to give bush atleast half the blame for holding back ferc during the energy crisis. bush f*cked california.