Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
saw the movie last night and thought it was alright, but didn't get the title

did i miss it?

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
The film was titled Cloverfield from the beginning, but the title changed throughout production before it was finalized as the original title. Matt Reeves explained that the title was changed frequently due to the hype caused by the teaser trailer, "That excitement spread to such a degree that we suddenly couldn't use the name anymore. So we started using all these names like Slusho and Cheese.[15] And people always found out what we were doing!" The director said that "Cloverfield" was the government's case designate for the monster, comparing the titling to that of the Manhattan Project. "And it's not a project per se. It's the way that this case has been designated. That's why that is on the trailer, and it becomes clearer in the film. It's how they refer to this phenomenon [or] this case," said the director.[16] The film's final title, Cloverfield, is the name of the exit Abrams takes to his Santa Monica office.[17][15]

From Wikipedia

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Because that "Lost" guy is a douche. He jacked the Godzilla concept and then gave it a stupid backstory by jacking the Slurm episode of Futurama.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Because they knew how badly it was going to suck, so they figured they might as well give it a shitty title at the same time.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I thought it was great. *shrug*

I walked into the theater having an idea of what to expect though and my expectations were exceeded. That helped a lot.

Just to be clear, my original expectations were not low. I just didn't go in there expecting traditional Hollywood or a traditional monster movie. I expected something different with a shakey camera effect.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
This is a movie I had 0 expectations for, but wound up enjoying it. It wasn't revolutionary or anything, but it was an enjoyable watch.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
It was named after a street in Los Angeles. If you are from the area, I am sure you have seen it.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Slick5150
This is a movie I had 0 expectations for, but wound up enjoying it. It wasn't revolutionary or anything, but it was an enjoyable watch.

i feel the same way

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I liked it. The first person cam makes you feel like you're part of the group of people experiencing it with them. I hated the Blair Witch Project though, so go figure.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
I liked it. The first person cam makes you feel like you're part of the group of people experiencing it with them.

Same here. I have heard a sequel is already in the works. I think a neat idea would be to keep the handheld camera POV, but show it from a totally different character's viewpoint. Maybe a military cam or something?

EDIT: one reason why I really like movies like this, including the BWP, is that you don't know anything more than the characters do, which forces you to use your imagination to fill in the details. The imagination is a powerful tool, IMO. It worked particularly well in BWP because anything I would have imagined would have been far scarier to me than any lame creature/kid with black hair/serial killer that is used in every other horror movie.

Most horror movies show way too much, way too soon. I think Cloverfield would have been better without that near-perfect shot of the monster in the park at the end of the movie.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
A military perspective sequel would rule. I really enjoyed this movie. Never saw it in the theaters but grabbed the DVD rental a week ago. It gave my new subwoofer a serious work over :D

I enjoyed it so much I'll be grabbing the Blu Ray version for pure DTS-MA home wrecking bass levels.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
I liked it. The first person cam makes you feel like you're part of the group of people experiencing it with them.

Same here. I have heard a sequel is already in the works. I think I neat idea would be to keep the handheld camera POV, but show it from a totally different character's viewpoint. Maybe a military cam or something?

That's the current plan anyways is to have it be about the same events but from a different person(s) perspective. Which could definitely work, since another group obviously could have stayed in the area longer to see what the ultimate conclusion to the battle was, whether that be the military, someone in the media, or whoever.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I really liked Cloverfield. I'm actually surprised that there's several people chiming in here that didn't... oh wait, no... I'm not surprised. This is Anandtech: Home to the Anti-Pops.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434
I thought it was great. *shrug*

I walked into the theater having an idea of what to expect though and my expectations were exceeded. That helped a lot.

Just to be clear, my original expectations were not low. I just didn't go in there expecting traditional Hollywood or a traditional monster movie. I expected something different with a shakey camera effect.

That was my thoughts exatly. If you're expecting a monster action movie then you would be severely disappointed. I thought it was a good original rommantic movie depicting everyday people.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Modeps
I really liked Cloverfield. I'm actually surprised that there's several people chiming in here that didn't... oh wait, no... I'm not surprised. This is Anandtech: Home to the Anti-Pops.

Try going to the IMDB forums. Every single movie has a multi-page thread titled "WORST MOVIE EVARRRRR!!!!!!!111oneoneoneone"

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: vi edit
A military perspective sequel would rule. I really enjoyed this movie. Never saw it in the theaters but grabbed the DVD rental a week ago. It gave my new subwoofer a serious work over :D

I enjoyed it so much I'll be grabbing the Blu Ray version for pure DTS-MA home wrecking bass levels.

I know right, the monster roar's awesome in this movie.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I just watched a few scenes of this movie again simply because the bass is reference quality. The scene at the beginning when they flee to the store as the monster moves through the street, and the whole section where the army makes a fire volley and they flee for the subway are just insane LFE tracks.

One question I had about the movie was - what was the deal with the "bite" victims? They wheeled the one soldier in on the cart with his chest exploded and then you see Marlena burst behind the curtain.

Has anyone heard any explanation/speculation on that?

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003

Try going to the IMDB forums. Every single movie has a multi-page thread titled "WORST MOVIE EVARRRRR!!!!!!!111oneoneoneone"

imdb forums make me wish the internet didn't exist.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: legoman666

imdb forums make me wish the internet didn't exist.

Haha, I also hate the forum software they use. It doesn't show you all of the messages by default, there are hardly any formatting options, and they only show maybe 10 posts per page or so.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
For a more realistic reason why it's named Cloverfield...

Clovers are generally the first plant to grow in former nuclear test zones after everything is wiped clean.