Why Trump is the best thing that ever happened for Dems

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
None of those. The group of people that now identify as Deplorables were falsely accused of being all those things by Hillary. They represent a tremendous swathe of Americans of all different backgrounds. A lot of liberal/progressives evidently don't understand them and don't want to listen.

Listening to and understanding people that disagree with you is not something that is easy. Given human nature, its understandable since its much easier to be intellectually lazy and just throw people into convenient mental punching bags that you can then come up with moral justifications to wreck at any opportunity.

Its truly unfortunate.

Anyways, 1 more day to results :)
None of those. The group of people that now identify as Deplorables were falsely accused of being all those things by Hillary. They represent a tremendous swathe of Americans of all different backgrounds. A lot of liberal/progressives evidently don't understand them and don't want to listen.

Listening to and understanding people that disagree with you is not something that is easy. Given human nature, its understandable since its much easier to be intellectually lazy and just throw people into convenient mental punching bags that you can then come up with moral justifications to wreck at any opportunity.

Its truly unfortunate.

That makes no sense... Hillary did what now? When?

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
hi Jhhnn,

People like me who don't have a racist bone in them get rather sick of the media and intellectually lazy people falsely accusing us (that would be conservatives that support Trump) of being racist, as well as the other things that Hillary mentioned just because we happen to hold differing positions, or even the same positions but via a different method or route.

On the other hand, when Hillary falsely called us this... many of us knew it was over for her. She had blown it. She had demonstrated that she didn't understand huge swathes of the electorate. We knew we were none of those things and haven't ever been... yet here is this candidate who was aspiring to be President of all Americans spouting that we were so. So in a round about way... it was a way of acknowledging her imminent defeat. A badge of honor to belong to a group that was falsely accused... yet group that helped defeat her nonsense :)

As an American i don't think Dems are disgusting or Deplorable. Most of my Dem friends are just normal folk like me... they have a different model of how the world works in their head and that is okay. i don't despise them or call them racist etc.

i don't believe in force or coercion. if i cannot persuade them, then i leave them alone and treat them with respect.

What other kind of deplorables are there, anyway? And why would anybody identify as deplorable if they're none of those things?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Its truly unfortunate.

Sorry to burst your self-righteous bubble, but what you wrote is absolute and total BS, and is the type f restructuring of reality that is far too common among Trumpites. Hillary Clinton, when talking about the deplorables, was specifically referring to Trump's failure to reject the support of David Duke which was in the news then. Trump fanboys took it out of context and decided she was smearing all of them.

Hillary was correct in what she said then, as time as shown all of us (except those that deny the truth).

Reactions: alien42

rvborgh

Apr 16, 2014
That is totally possible. There is a tendency to take what a political figure you desperately want to lose/dislike says and see it through a lens of political extremes. So i don't discount what you say. The D's also do this with Trump (i'm talking about his statement about "Their rapists", where he was not talking about Mexicans in general but the coyotes, human traffickers that rape a lot of the women coming across the border). i picked up on that properly right from the get go, but most of my Dem friends saw only the most extreme interpretation (a lot fed by the media).

Anyways... this mid term is going to one for the record books.

Sorry to burst your self-righteous bubble, but what you wrote is absolute and total BS, and is the type f restructuring of reality that is far too common among Trumpites. Hillary Clinton, when talking about the deplorables, was specifically referring to Trump's failure to reject the support of David Duke which was in the news then. Trump fanboys took it out of context and decided she was smearing all of them.

Hillary was correct in what she said then, as time as shown all of us (except those that deny the truth).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The D's also do this with Trump (i'm talking about his statement about "Their rapists", where he was not talking about Mexicans in general but the coyotes, human traffickers that rape a lot of the women coming across the border).

Yes, that's why he finished the quote with "and some, I assume, are good people"! Makes total sense to me. /s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_an...iminals-rapists-what-trump-thinks-of-mexicans

Full transcript:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ial-bid/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.09da37ccca92

Trump said:
When do we beat Mexico at the border? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they're killing us economically.

The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems.

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you. It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

Notice the complete absence of any extra context such as the ones you invented. Take the time to notice the actual context that Trump is communicating: Not only is Mexico sending* the US its most problematic people, but they're doing it intentionally to try and ruin America, and chances are that every Mexican that any American meets in the street is most likely a rapist, a drug dealer or some other kind of criminal, and that's a fact. Trump then assumes that some Mexicans in America might actually be good people.

* - Trump is fond of conspiracy theories.

Right after that quote, if Trump was interested in reassuring the electorate that he doesn't think that Mexicans are mostly rapists and drug dealers, he might then talk about the importance of improving the US's existing immigration / border control systems to ensure that Mexicans don't get a bad rep caused by their rotten apples, but no, in the spirit of whipping his base up into a frenzy, he moved on to... Islamic terrorism.

Interesting other tidbits from that speech:

Trump said:
That's right. A lot of people up there can't get jobs. They can't get jobs, because there are no jobs, because China has our jobs and Mexico has our jobs. They all have jobs.

So they all have jobs, but they get sent to America because...? Oh right, right, the raping and drug dealing.

The Mexicans struck again apparently:

Trump said:
So Mexico takes a company, a car company that was going to build in Tennessee, rips it out. Everybody thought the deal was dead. Reported it in the Wall Street Journal recently. Everybody thought it was a done deal. It's going in and that's going to be it, going into Tennessee. Great state, great people.

TRUMP: All of a sudden, at the last moment, this big car manufacturer, foreign, announces they're not going to Tennessee. They're gonna spend their $1 billion in Mexico instead. Not good.

Trump said:
And guess what? No problem. They're going to build in Mexico. They're going to take away thousands of jobs. It's very bad for us.

Not only do they all have jobs, but they're stealing thousands more jobs from Americans! They're stockpiling those jobs for their fully employed citizens for a rainy day! And to top it all off they're sending you their rapists and drug dealers!

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
hi Jhhnn,

People like me who don't have a racist bone in them get rather sick of the media and intellectually lazy people falsely accusing us (that would be conservatives that support Trump) of being racist, as well as the other things that Hillary mentioned just because we happen to hold differing positions, or even the same positions but via a different method or route.

On the other hand, when Hillary falsely called us this... many of us knew it was over for her. She had blown it. She had demonstrated that she didn't understand huge swathes of the electorate. We knew we were none of those things and haven't ever been... yet here is this candidate who was aspiring to be President of all Americans spouting that we were so. So in a round about way... it was a way of acknowledging her imminent defeat. A badge of honor to belong to a group that was falsely accused... yet group that helped defeat her nonsense :)

As an American i don't think Dems are disgusting or Deplorable. Most of my Dem friends are just normal folk like me... they have a different model of how the world works in their head and that is okay. i don't despise them or call them racist etc.

i don't believe in force or coercion. if i cannot persuade them, then i leave them alone and treat them with respect.
Guess what? If you aren't racist, sexist, etc, then you're part of the other half she was talking about... which means she wasn't talking about you, and did not call you those things. Someone here doesn't understand, and I just quoted them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That is totally possible. There is a tendency to take what a political figure you desperately want to lose/dislike says and see it through a lens of political extremes. So i don't discount what you say. The D's also do this with Trump (i'm talking about his statement about "Their rapists", where he was not talking about Mexicans in general but the coyotes, human traffickers that rape a lot of the women coming across the border). i picked up on that properly right from the get go, but most of my Dem friends saw only the most extreme interpretation (a lot fed by the media).

Anyways... this mid term is going to one for the record books.

You may not be a racist but if you voted for Trump you voted for an unabashed racist and there’s no arguing that. If you did that because you think Hillary Clinton said something mean to you I would simply ask why you allowed yourself to be so easily manipulated.

In your heart I suspect even then you knew how duplicitous Trump is, how corrupt he is, and how he would attempt to abuse his powers of office for personal gain. If you didn’t know it then though, you certainly know it now. I hope if you voted for Trump in 2016 that today you’re committed to doing what you can to right that wrong. Your country needs your help.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Unlike the feds, the states HAVE to balance their budgets, at least on paper. In CT we have a two year budget, we can run a deficit for the first year but have to make it up the second year.

I say "on paper" because politicians of both parties are notorious for burying stuff/making bogus projections in order to "balance" the budget. A prime example, both here in CT and nearly every other state, is how state pensions are treated. Future obligations are left unfunded in reality-perfectly legal so long as this years pension payment obligations are met.

Electing Stefanowski would lead CT down the same dumb path Wisconsin, Kansas and so many other states have elected-a path promoted by the recent federal income tax changes.
Stefanowski just admitted he will not cut taxes for at least two years. Cutting taxes was his entire platform.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Trump is the resulting backlash against the left and their political correctness letting their batshit crazy people out. As long as the left continues to let their stupid bastard children out to say shit like all illegal immigrants should freely be able to come over anytime the more Trump equivalents will show up.

Learn your lessons and come to the table with sensible core liberal foundations instead of stupid shit like "bathroom rights" and "hate speech"

And there's the rub: The left doesn't do that. Not at all.

But you seem to believe they do, and no engagement with the facts on the ground will probably change your belief against those facts. And so that's really the problem: The enemy that you need has been created for you. And it makes you happy that you think they exist.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump isn't good for any American. I think this is a blip in our liberal progression that was due but accelerated by *gasp* a black POTUS. That we have the orangeclownpig as the face of our brand of alt-nationalism rising world-wide is unfortunate to me. This backlash against liberal progression was going to be lead by some corporate owned bigot, we just got a narcissistic carnival barker as a bonus.
TBH, I like Obama. He's the antithesis of this bloated narcissist amoeba blowhard. Don't know where we're going but I so hope the pendulum swings the other way right now and more in the 2020 election.
- -
And anyone who thinks the Dems favor unlimited migration should realize that Obama deported a whole lot of undocumented people.

Nov 8, 2012

But you seem to believe they do, and no engagement with the facts on the ground will probably change your belief against those facts. And so that's really the problem: The enemy that you need has been created for you. And it makes you happy that you think they exist.
You're pretty much the only one worthy of a reply since you actually give competent replies.

The left does do this. I never said in my post that it comes from the left candidates or politicians. I said it came from the morons that go on immigrant based protests hence "bastard children" that you guys need to learn to keep in the basement. Just google "lefties call for open borders" it's not difficult.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You're pretty much the only one worthy of a reply since you actually give competent replies.

The left does do this. I never said in my post that it comes from the left candidates or politicians. I said it came from the morons that go on immigrant based protests hence "bastard children" that you guys need to learn to keep in the basement. Just google "lefties call for open borders" it's not difficult.

The only way it relates to the topic is as poo flinging at the Dems.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Its truly unfortunate.

Out of curiosity, why does the obligation to "listen" seem to only go in one direction? Conservatives are in their own information bubble. Last I checked, they're listening to the other side a lot less than liberals these days. Where is this special entitlement for them to be listened to but have no obligation to listen themselves?

Reactions: Muse

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

So, their first amendment rights should be suppressed in order to improve the DNC's chance of winning?
You've already said they're the "bastard children", not any candidates or politicians, so there's no actual policy decision being made/driven by them... so what exactly is the problem here? You just... don't like it, and are therefore forced to vote Republican out of spite?

Reactions: dank69

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Out of curiosity, why does the obligation to "listen" seem to only go in one direction? Conservatives are in their own information bubble. Last I checked, they're listening to the other side a lot less than liberals these days. Where is this special entitlement for them to be listened to but have no obligation to listen themselves?

Was there some part of "fuck your feelings" that you didn't understand?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So, their first amendment rights should be suppressed in order to improve the DNC's chance of winning?
You've already said they're the "bastard children", not any candidates or politicians, so there's no actual policy decision being made/driven by them... so what exactly is the problem here? You just... don't like it, and are therefore forced to vote Republican out of spite?
Exactly. He doesn't want to vote for filthy liberals and there is no end to the number of videos he can find on Youtube to help prevent him from letting go of that irrational hatred. He does not care what the liberal/progressive/Democrat policies and platforms actually are. If one wacko says something stupid and he can watch it on the internet then the whole party is shit.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Some do.

Like in this post.

Nov 8, 2012
Where did I say they should be silenced?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

How many % is that? Cause there will always be freaks and nutjobs around, cant judge 1000+ ppl by the idiot ramblings of one.

And the right spawned Breitbart, should Bannon be taken seriously? I am not including Alex Jones as I dont see his counterpart on the left..
Your perception of antifa thugs does not define the left. - well it might to you and thats the problem.
Id like to say that Charlottesville nazi good people dont define the right either.. there is just that little snag of Trumps endorsement of said fine people that blurs the line.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Why is it when you people talk left or right, you only reference the beliefs of the vocal extreme minority? Leftists overwhelmingly DO NOT think this. Just like as someone said not all republicans are racists. What the majority believe in is humanity over greed. People can try to spin it positive however they want but Trump drummed up the racist sentiment in this country by all the wall talk and all the bashing of Mexico, when in reality it is the corporations that are at fault. Yes, that is right, the 1%. THEY are the ones sending jobs. THEY are the ones hiring the illegals. Trump is as guilty of it as anyone. Most leftists believe in legal immigration, and helping people into America legally (which let's face it, simply means they pay their taxes). Very few believe in completely open borders. The whole 'drug dealers, murderers' rhetoric is FUD. Guess what, the country has their share of white and black of all of the above.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Looks like I was wrong about my prediction for the CT governor race. Very pleased I was wrong-let Florida elect the mindless Trump worshipers, we don't need them..