Why those little sh1ts!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been noticing this trend lately, with some fast food restaurants and convenience stores, or maybe I never paid as close of attention, but on several occasions lately, I've gotten double charged, when using my CC for fast food, or convenience store purchases.

Get my statement, and sure enough, same day, Wendy's charged me $8.18 twice. A Seven-Eleven charged me $12.65 twice, and a Burger King charged me $6.48 twice.

What a pain in the arse. I have my receipts, but now I have to go thru a dispute process on 3 petty charges. :|

Are these little sh!ts randomely double charging customers, then taking cash out of the til? New class of embezlement? :shocked:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Sounds to me like it's a personal problem, nothing anyone is doing intentionally.

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Malak
Sounds to me like it's a personal problem, nothing anyone is doing intentionally.

How so? You realize you don't sign at a lot of these places, whats to keep them from double swiping?

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
I've been noticing this trend lately, with some fast food restaurants and convenience stores, or maybe I never paid as close of attention, but on several occasions lately, I've gotten double charged, when using my CC for fast food, or convenience store purchases.

Get my statement, and sure enough, same day, Wendy's charged me $8.18 twice. A Seven-Eleven charged me $12.65 twice, and a Burger King charged me $6.48 twice.

What a pain in the arse. I have my receipts, but now I have to go thru a dispute process on 3 petty charges. :|

Are these little sh!ts randomely double charging customers, then taking cash out of the til? New class of embezlement? :shocked:

I've only ever had that happen when I go to commuter restaurants off the highway... they've added a few bucks on a few different occasions (tip). I now pay with cash.

~~edit

More importantly, how do you spend $8 at Wendy's? Are you huge?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

nope, cant take it out of the till. electronic payment != cash

it was probably accidental, but 3 in a day? dont know brother...

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

How so? You realize you don't sign at a lot of these places, whats to keep them from double swiping?

3 occurrences of the exact same problem, but at different locations. Odds are it is a malfunction at the CC server. Just contact them and everything should be fine.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
3 in a day sounds a bit odd... I also highly doubt those places are doing it on purpose, it can lead to a good bit of trouble - at the very least, a fee for the dispute if they lose it.

While it's unlikely, make sure that one isn't an "authorization" and the other is the actual charge, I highly doubt it, but possible. Call up your CC provider and ask about this.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004

Yeah I've read where skimming (double swiping) is becoming a pretty common form of theft at some of the fast food joints just because you don't have to sign.

Yeah if you think so you might want to read this.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
I had a McDonalds overcharge me last November. I used a game piece for medium fries along with my order at the drive thru and used my Discover Card. The cashier put the receipt in the bag so I did not notice that they charged me the $1.29 for the fries. I called Discover the next week to have the $1.29 reversed and they took off the entire charge. Discover FTW!

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

Does not apply for reasons already stated several times.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Oh please - cash its own issues, hand them a $20 and they can say you handed them a $10, what do you do? No real third party, is there?

With a credit card, you're always protected and there is an intermediary to enforce the proper laws.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004

Hmm...I haven't seen sh*t stated as to why it couldn't happen. OP said he was charged twice on his CC for a single purchase. If you would have read the article you would have seen:

[/quote]A city woman became suspicious when the employee took her credit card into the booth. She called her bank and found an extra $25 charged to her account.[/quote]

Wow, sounds like this woman was charged twice on her CC doesn't it?

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
A lot of credit card places are pretty quick with disputes like that. I've had a few and they were taken care of quickly with very little hassle.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

Hmm...I haven't seen sh*t stated as to why it couldn't happen. OP said he was charged twice on his CC for a single purchase. If you would have read the article you would have seen:
A city woman became suspicious when the employee took her credit card into the booth. She called her bank and found an extra $25 charged to her account.[/quote]

Wow, sounds like this woman was charged twice on her CC doesn't it?[/quote]

Except he was charged twice for 3 purchases at 3 different locations which makes your theory lacking plausibility. Like I said before, your story does not apply for reasons already stated.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Yeah I've read where skimming (double swiping) is becoming a pretty common form of theft at some of the fast food joints just because you don't have to sign.

how can he pocket the $? there's no option for $20 extra cash to add to an order.

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Let me clarify, this did not happen all in the same day. It was 3 occurances, over 2 weeks.

I sometimes run for food for co-workers, as well, so no I don't order $8 worth of food at Wendy's.

This is just so odd, since in all the years I've been using credit cards, it's not happened up until now, and now 3 times in one month. <shrugs>

The Seven Eleven guy does open the til, besides, what's to keep a guy from just waiting until the next cash transaction to take the overpay? The receipts will match the sales, until they eventually get caught.

Anyway, the amounts are relatively petty, in the grand scheme of things. It's more an irritant than anything.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no personal knowledge, but I would think stores would count cash receipts and charge receipts separately, so unless a manager was doing the skimming, how would a peon benefit by doing this ?

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tom
I have no personal knowledge, but I would think stores would count cash receipts and charge receipts separately, so unless a manager was doing the skimming, how would a peon benefit by doing this ?

I will add, that the Seven Eleven is within 3 blocks of where I live. When I first started going there, I got to be on friendly terms with the one clerk. Suddenly he wasn't there anymore, and I asked the guy who owns it, what happened to him. Turns out, it was his cousin, and he had been caught stealing from him.

Most thieves are stupid, and if they were smart enough about how money is accounted for, they'd probably not try this scam, but since their stupid, I'll bet they think they can get away with it.