Why the Towers Fell - Tuesday night on Nova

ABErickson

Oct 9, 1999
"A team of forensic engineers investigates the World Trade Center's collapse. "

Thought some may be interested.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Wasn't it because of those big plane thingies? There, I've freed up an hour for you Tuesday night.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
No, IIRC it was the fires that weakened the structure.

yeah, thats what it was. they were saying if there weren't so much jet fuel that kept the fires burning... the flames would've burned themselves out and the towers would still be up. the huge amount of jet fuel kept the fires going, which melted the steel structures... then just pancaked down. :(

thedan

Aug 5, 2001
Hey, I haven't seen anything on that, but what temp does jet fuel burn at? And what temp does huge skyscraper steel supports melt at?

Also, why did it collapse *straight* down.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: thedan
Hey, I haven't seen anything on that, but what temp does jet fuel burn at? And what temp does huge skyscraper steel supports melt at?

Because the structural supports ran straight down the middle of the building.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
I saw this a while back, it was pretty interesting. I can't believe at one time (maybe still are) there was a group that wanted to sue the architects/engineers who designed the WTC for not making them resilient enough to an airplane hit. What was interesting about this show was that they DID design them to withstand a hit from the biggest commercial jetliner of the time. The problem was, this was 25+ years ago, and planes are larger today, so there's no way they could have known.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
If I recall correctly from when this originally aired it was not so much the burning temperatures as it was the amount of area burning combined with secondary ignition sources (desks, papers, PC's etc) that eventually caused the collapse. When the planes hit the fire retardant was blown off of the supporting structures which also contributed to the ultimate collapse. They likened the jet fuel to the starter fluid you spray to light some charcoal. It rather quickly burns off but causes the other burnable material to ignite. The program was quite interesting and a good view for anyone interested in knowing more.

Draco

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I believe the fires burned at around 1800 degrees. I believe steel starts to lose it's strength at 1500? In any case it was hot enough to bring it all down.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
burning temp for jet fuel is pretty high... you can put out a match with it... but that high? other things must have started burning too.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
1. No sprinklers
2. Double layers of sheetrock used but were blownoff from the exploding planes leaving the steel exposed.
3. the way the building was designed with the skeleton on the outside.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: vetteguy
I saw this a while back, it was pretty interesting. I can't believe at one time (maybe still are) there was a group that wanted to sue the architects/engineers who designed the WTC for not making them resilient enough to an airplane hit. What was interesting about this show was that they DID design them to withstand a hit from the biggest commercial jetliner of the time. The problem was, this was 25+ years ago, and planes are larger today, so there's no way they could have known.

Umm.. the Boein 747 was intro'ed in the 70s. It is still the biggest passenger liner to date. The planes that crashed into them were smaller, 757/767 class jets. In any event, they survived the initial crash as expected.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: thedan

That is because it was designed to fall straight down in the event it ever came to that. Could you imagine how much more damage would have been done if the fell on their side?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dexvx
Originally posted by: vetteguy

Umm.. the Boein 747 was intro'ed in the 70s. It is still the biggest passenger liner to date. The planes that crashed into them were smaller, 757/767 class jets. In any event, they survived the initial crash as expected.

It first flew in '69, and the first orders for it were placed in '66.