Why the heck aren't people more careful around trains?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Link to story

It's in the middle. I wrote it on Saturday. Why would someone just not pay attention like that? Especially someone with a family.

Be careful out there. :(

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Lots of people don't pay attention. It's sad. Cell phones especially contribute to this. I once saw a woman take her hands off the wheel to scratch her head so she didn't have to put her phone down.

:(

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
This guy was listening to the radio really loudly. The drug/alcohol tests are still pending, but I didn't want to say that on the air.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
What an idiot. I stop and look at EVERY rail crossing. It REALLY pisses people behind me off, but hey, that's what I'm alive for, right?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
What an idiot. I stop and look at EVERY rail crossing. It REALLY pisses people behind me off, but hey, that's what I'm alive for, right?
This guy was 59. He should have known better. How loud could the radio be for him to not hear the train? It was cloudy, but there's no reason he couldn't see it.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Kids in town will drive their cars with the music so loud it rattles windows blocks away. However, this guy was not a kid. Just goes to show that keeping the music down to an acceptable level isn't just done out of courtesy, it's a safety thing too.

mikebb

May 21, 2001
There is a RR crossing right by where I work, and about 100 ft past it a traffic light. You'd be amazed how many people sit on the tracks when the light is red, when they could just wait 10 ft back and not be risking their lives. In fact, the cops often sit handing out tickets and warnings to all the morons who sit on the crossing.

A couple of months ago, some old guy was sitting with the a$$ end of his Caddy on the tracks at this crossing, waiting for the light to change so he could return the car to the dealer for end-of-lease.....wham! Train took off the whole back end of his car. Funny part about the whole thing was that the guy was so senile that he didn't even realize what happened, and tried to keep driving!