Why the fascination with Harry Potter

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Well by saying you don't know anyone that hasn't read through the 1st 4 books, that's like saying, I don't know anyone that hasn't been to 400 Yankee games that isn't a fan.

My GF reads the HP books, and wanted me to read it. I can't read something with the ludicrous childish names that are plastered all through it. I think I read 2 pages and gave up. Plus I'm not real big on the whole "chosen one" syndrome. I like my heroes to be someone that is just doing their thing and get caught in a bad spot. Kinda like John McClaine in the Die Hard movies.

How about someone saying he hates the Yankees without ever seeing them play?

To clarify, there is only 1 person I know that didn't like the book that much after reading 1 and 2. Then a year later, he decided to keep reading just for fun, and now loves it.

You can double that count. I read all the previous books multiple times. I still don't see the fascination.

Jun 4, 2005

To clarify, there is only 1 person I know that didn't like the book that much after reading 1 and 2. Then a year later, he decided to keep reading just for fun, and now loves it.
I was forced by my school to read the first book. I thought it was going to be stupid (wiizards, owls, wtf's). Once I got through the first couple chapters...well...I had it finished by the next day.

That was 7 years and I'm not about to stop reading them simply due to age.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: StartingLine
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: Imp
I haven't read it before, and am pretty confident that it's good/well written. Little boy wizards not my idea of fun. However, I still think there's way too much hype for the book/movies. At least it helps sales...

it's the opposite, actually. it's well written enough so that people don't have to guess what's going on...but so is Stephen King :p There is certianly nothing clever, or original about the writing.

it's a simple, predictable story that is understandably appealing to children. I can only fathom that adults find it appealing because so many of them also found DaVinci Code appealing (engaging story, but simple, hackneyed writing more cliche'd than a Mel Brooks joke...no offense to Mel Brooks)...

I think you can find Harry Potter in grocery stores, no? that explains a lot....

stating jk rowling is at the level of stephen king is pretty insulting. I cant really think of any Stephen King novel that is at the 4th grade level or lord help you what Stephen King books do you want your 4th grader to read lol.

i've read all the HP books so far. While reading them, there were thigns that happened or were mentioned that I thought were kind of more on the "adult" side than the "children's" side.

My favorite author is probably Terry Pratchett. He writes books for young adults/children as well as adults. I've read all of his young adult/children's books. is it because i'm dumb, immature, or can't read? No, it's because I like his style and he knows how to tell a great story.

The only Stephen King book I've read is The Green Mile. I've read stuff about Stephen King's writing that isn't very flattering. Its not like his writing is really deep or insightful.

I'd really like to see the "library" that some of you HP haters have. I'd bet it would be very telling.

I don't think HP is all that good for anyone over 12. But there was already a discussion on this a while back so I won't repeat all that.
I think I got flamed for saying it's for under 12.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I didn't like HP--J.K. Rowling ripped off Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' work, and then called C.S. Lewis a sexist. I don't like that beautiful being one bit, and I find her stories catering to juveniles and people with nothing in their heads. She just threw these wild ideas and flushed them into a toilet bowl like concoction and sold millions, because that's all people seem to understand these days.
Seriously, she didn't borrow anything deep, I don't even know how Voldermort can be seen as a threat, I'd urinate in his hair if I saw him if existed. He just goes around looking gory, or being described as some miserabely bloody hungry SOB who gets spanked by some 12 year old, and so on and so forth.

And yes, I have read book 1, 2, and 3. Biggest wastes of my life. You want adult, worthwhile fiction/fantasy, you'd read the LotR, Silmarillion, CoN etc.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac
And yes, I have read book 1, 2, and 3. Biggest wastes of my life. You want adult, worthwhile fiction/fantasy, you'd read the LotR, Silmarillion, CoN etc.

I read the LOTR series, Silmarillion, the Hobbit, a couple other Tolkien books, 1984, Dan Brown books (while they're mostly 'choose your adventure'), etc. I read Harry Potter books because I enjoy them, and despite how much I enjoyed Tolkien's work, I would take a Harry Potter book over them any day.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I like it because it requires no effort to read. It's not like Melville, Hawthorne, or Dickens where they spend forever describing a door knob that you later find out has some symbolic link to a minor character.

Warranted, that stuff is important, but it's nice to read something once in awhile that doesn't require a dictionary and a degree in literature to comprehend.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I didn't like HP--J.K. Rowling ripped off Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' work, and then called C.S. Lewis a sexist. I don't like that beautiful being one bit, and I find her stories catering to juveniles and people with nothing in their heads. She just threw these wild ideas and flushed them into a toilet bowl like concoction and sold millions, because that's all people seem to understand these days.
Seriously, she didn't borrow anything deep, I don't even know how Voldermort can be seen as a threat, I'd urinate in his hair if I saw him if existed. He just goes around looking gory, or being described as some miserabely bloody hungry SOB who gets spanked by some 12 year old, and so on and so forth.

is this guy serious?

anyways, I have read them all now and I just find it to be an enjoyable experience. There is something about the fantasy of being a kid with magical powers that awakens the child in all of us. The character interaction and sheer storytelling make this series one of my favorite of all times.

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com
Originally posted by: msi1337

is this guy serious?

anyways, I have read them all now and I just find it to be an enjoyable experience. There is something about the fantasy of being a kid with magical powers that awakens the child in all of us. The character interaction and sheer storytelling make this series one of my favorite of all times.

:thumbsup:

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
1) It's a good story, well written, so you come to identify with and care about the main characters.
2) It's a cliff hanger, so you've got to find out how it ends. Kind of like all those people that wanted to know who shot JR - but on a much bigger scale!

BTW, this is really a very stupid question - kind of like asking, why do some people like red wine, or the color red. It's a matter of personal preference - no right or wrong, just is.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: sdifox
Well by saying you don't know anyone that hasn't read through the 1st 4 books, that's like saying, I don't know anyone that hasn't been to 400 Yankee games that isn't a fan.

My GF reads the HP books, and wanted me to read it. I can't read something with the ludicrous childish names that are plastered all through it. I think I read 2 pages and gave up. Plus I'm not real big on the whole "chosen one" syndrome. I like my heroes to be someone that is just doing their thing and get caught in a bad spot. Kinda like John McClaine in the Die Hard movies.

You can double that count. I read all the previous books multiple times. I still don't see the fascination.

lol...why read them multiple times if you don't like them? its not like you'll magically begin to like them if you don't. i don't like watching football but millions of other people do. i don't see the fascination. i'm not going to sit there and continually torture myself by watching games all the time, hoping that maybe something will spark my interest.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Finished my Lovecraft book today. going to start Harry Potter in a few minutes.

Also just won "The Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe". Another book to read...
I think it's a curse I have or something, because when I find an author I like, I end up reading stuff about them and what authors influenced them, so I have to go out and buy books by those authors. The cycle just keeps repeating...:frown:

I don't mind getting new books, in fact, I love it, but it just hurts the wallet after awhile.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

lol...why read them multiple times if you don't like them? its not like you'll magically begin to like them if you don't. i don't like watching football but millions of other people do. i don't see the fascination. i'm not going to sit there and continually torture myself by watching games all the time, hoping that maybe something will spark my interest.

I reread books... too cheap to buy new ones I guess :)
I think maybe I should be in the publishing business. I can re-read the same crap many times :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I think maybe I should be in the publishing business. I can re-read the same crap many times :)

i don't see a problem with re-reading a book, but why would you re-read books that you hate?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

honestly, I can't imagine LoTR being considered adult either. I read them ~2 eyars ago, and they're utter tripe. I rememebr thinking that I should have read these when I was 11, when it would be more appropriate

I do like the Silmarillion though--it's a bit more complex. and since Tolkein seemed to imagine himself as creating the new Beowulf, that seems like the closest he ever got.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Do you consider any fantasy or sci-fi adult? because it seems like you just classify it all as childish just because it's in the fantasy genre.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

i don't see a problem with re-reading a book, but why would you re-read books that you hate?

I don't know... masochist? I can actually read books that I hate. Only way I got through school...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I don't know... masochist? I can actually read books that I hate. Only way I got through school...

yeah, but thats different than re-reading a book that you didn't like.
at least with the school book, you HAVE to read it once unless you want to get a bad grade.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Do you consider any fantasy or sci-fi adult? because it seems like you just classify it all as childish just because it's in the fantasy genre.

Philip K Dick is quite good. I just don't read a lot of sci fi ro fantasy, but that has nothing to do with what I consider good. I think it just so happens that you don't see as many talented writers in those genres as you do in others (not they aren't there).

I read a lot of Fantasy when I was younger. And while I couldn't stomach reading Piers Anthony right now, I don't see how it can be any less adult, mature, and enjoyable than a Harry Potter book.

My rule of thumb: if you can buy it in a grocery store, it ain't worth glancing at ;)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

yeah, but thats different than re-reading a book that you didn't like.
at least with the school book, you HAVE to read it once unless you want to get a bad grade.

I wouldn't call the HP books bad, just aimed at 12 year olds... I wouldn't call them good either.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: zinfamous

Philip K Dick is quite good. I just don't read a lot of sci fi ro fantasy, but that has nothing to do with what I consider good. I think it just so happens that you don't see as many talented writers in those genres as you do in others (not they aren't there).

I read a lot of Fantasy when I was younger. And while I couldn't stomach reading Piers Anthony right now, I don't see how it can be any less adult, mature, and enjoyable than a Harry Potter book.

My rule of thumb: if you can buy it in a grocery store, it ain't worth glancing at ;)

I like Philip K Dick a lot. Same with Heinlein and Herbert. Piers Anthony was a hoot (xanth books) when I was younger. I really like Starship Troopers.

Working on reading all of Asimov.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: LoKe
I wouldn't call the HP books bad, just aimed at 12 year olds...

Ignorance at its finest.

i'm not far into the the Deathly Hallows yet (maybe around 180 pages or so) but it definitely seems more adult than the other books in the series. i've already noticed a lot more adult themes and language used in the book.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Why did people like Star Wars? Everyone knew the rebels were going to win :Disgust; /sarcasm

People like the story, if you don't then just move on. Why do you care if a lot of people like something anyway?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
Why did people like Star Wars? Everyone knew the rebels were going to win :Disgust; /sarcasm

People like the story, if you don't then just move on. Why do you care if a lot of people like something anyway?

when someone asks why you like something, the only response should be to ask that person the same exact question, only replace your hobby with one of theirs.