why specific java site loads slower with IE than Firefox

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm not the developer and this has been a problem since day 1 and nobody really understands why. It's an internal Websphere-written java web app (.do extensions) with cookie-login and if you ever go idle (say 10 minutes) on any of the pages, IE11 takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds before the next page will load. If you are actively going from page to page it acts normal.

But with Firefox, response is always immediate regardless of idle time. Re-login doesn't seem to be a necessity judging from other sites which work fine in IE - I believe it's something like 6 hours anyway. Must be something with the way it's written? What causes this?

We never want to use FF because only IE is officially supported and keeping FF open for this 1 site is a PITA.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
because IE f'ing sucks.

i see similar performance comparing chrome to firefox. everything about chrome is faster than firefox. and the dev tools in chrome are not even worth comparing to the crap that is firebug.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ believe me I'm a chrome user all the way but not for work... can't do it. There's got to be some programming issue with this site and IE. It's only for this 1 site - there are many other internal sites that are not websphere/java and don't behave like this on IE. If it's going to load slow, why doesn't it load slow while we're active on it?

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i don't know the specific reasons, and this is all just guesswork, but i would not think the backend being java would have anything at all to do with it. i'd think it would have more to do with the front end and maybe how the garbage cleanup works on IE vs. firefox. or maybe the renderer in IE just sucks and it is a memory issue with that.

either way i think this issue is a front end issue and the backend has nothing to do with it, and that it's just coincidental.

i'm not familiar with front end java web-apps, so if the front end is also java being rendered in the browser, i'd chalk it up to the renderer in IE sucking.

oh, and tell your company to get with the times :)

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Whats the site that loads slow? (I wanna try it with IE and see how it loads for me)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
it's an internal site... and we are supporting the account, not our own company's policies on browsers. ;)

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It probably closed some port and has to reopen it. Firefox is probably keeping it open, or is faster at determining that it needs to be reopened.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I have no idea if this is the case, but here is a possibility. Older browsers limited the number of connections (could be something like 2 connections per domain). Say your website downloads 10 JS files, 10 CSS files, and 10 images. The browser has 30 requests to make to render the site, which will require the time of 15 round trips since you only get to make 2 connections at once. New browsers have raised this limit.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Ya can ya believe IE6 is set to 2 by default??

I have mine set to 48 but I think the max ON ANY SERVER is 20 per IP,Im not sure though....