Why should Obama or the DNC pay for Hillary's campaign debt?

Oct 30, 2004
Could someone please explain why Obama or the DNC should pick up Hillary's campaign debt? For that matter, why does a politician who can't manage a campaign budget be elected to manage the federal budget in the first place?

I don't feel sorry for Hillary and her campaign debt; the voters were sending a message when they voted with their pocketbooks and she ignored it. In essence, by overspending she ignored the will of the voters who chose to donate to Obama and not her. Why should she be bailed out of that? How is it Obama's fault if she overextended herself by tens of millions of dollars and why should he have to foot her bill? Let Hillary and her creditors and her supporters pay for it.

Perhaps Hillary and Bill should have to pay for it out of their own pockets and learn to live like the little people.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I am disgusted that we'd even allow politicians to mismanage their funds so horribly, dip into *PERSONAL* money and then reimburse them for *PERSONAL* money.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
because they need her and her people to raise even more money for Obama?

Why not just keep the $21 million or whatever it is and spend that on Obama instead of using it to pay off Hillary's debt? As for Hillary's supporters, if they're going to be such sore, traitorous losers, then let them have their Republican president.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
That bitch and all of her dumbass supporters combined couldn't balance a checkbook, much less the federal budget. They're too stupid to be Democrats. They should all go vote for McCain.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Psssh. I'm not working for Obama.

How about blackmail? You (Obama) give me and Hillary's other supporters what we won't and we won't hold your candidacy hostage.

Go ahead. THINK I'M BLUFFING?! I hope she tears the party apart if you don't give us what we want.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Psssh. I'm not working for Obama.

How about blackmail? You (Obama) give me and Hillary's other supporters what we won't and we won't hold your candidacy hostage.

Go ahead. THINK I'M BLUFFING?! I hope she tears the party apart if you don't give us what we want.

You don't make sense.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Of the three candidates who hung on the longest in the 08 primary season, only Obama ended up with a surplus. Both Hillary and McCain ran in the red and its going to be especially interesting with McCain. Because during the dark days of the McCain campaign, he took public funding, which may now limit what he can spend in the general election.

But in terms of Hillary getting bail outs from the dems, it may be a nickel of one and a dime of another. There are arguments on both sides of the question. But between Obama aand Hillary, more primary votes went to the dems than at anytime for either party in US history.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Why not just keep the $21 million or whatever it is and spend that on Obama instead of using it to pay off Hillary's debt? As for Hillary's supporters, if they're going to be such sore, traitorous losers, then let them have their Republican president.

it's not her supporters as much as it is the people who have been fund raising for her. she capped out early with her big donors, but they're all sitting there with their checkbooks waiting for the general election to donate not only to Obama, but the 527's that will be backing him up.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
If anyone is familiar with campaign financing:

If Obama refuses public funds (~80-90 m$), then he doesn't have to give up public contributions? My casual understanding is that once you take the 85m funbucks from uncle Sucker, you can't receive legal public contributions?

Given that Hillary pissed on the nice, well preserved general election carpet, Barack might as well take on the goverment candidate funding. No one can make up for that amount of cash with public contributions in the short amount of time left.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Hillary's supporters are dumb enough to pay down that debt for her.

Why do you think she didn't concede last night? Her legions of rabid zombies logged onto Hillary Clinton Dot Com and opened their wallets, still delusional about some grand scheme to take this to Denver.

She probably banked several million last night after her SD win, and will get a few million more before she concedes Saturday.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I believe legally Obama can't pay for Clinton's debts out of funds donated to him. Some of his large donors, who haven't donated to Clinton, will pony up directly to her campaign, but the money won't come from people who donated to Obama.

As for McCain, the RNC is going to try and raise $120 million for their puppet, so I'm sure they let him do whatever he wants.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Obama shouldn't, if his donaters knew that some of the money they gave him would end up going to her they wouldn't have sent it.

She loaned her campaign all those millions because she was sure that people would contribute later. Any other candidate like Edwards, Dodd, or Richardson who ran out of money would have ended their campaign. But since she had Bill's money to fall back on, it artificially prolonged her stay in the race. It was a gamble on future donations. That money didn't show up and she should eat the loss. It's obscene that she should expect her supporters or Obama's supporters to pay for her gambling.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Could someone please explain why Obama or the DNC should pick up Hillary's campaign debt?

Why should Hillary go out campaigning or fundraising for Obama? Answer that one, please.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Could someone please explain why Obama or the DNC should pick up Hillary's campaign debt?

Why should Hillary go out campaigning or fundraising for Obama? Answer that one, please.

That's a 2-way street. Last I heard, all of Hillary's supporters are vowing to vote for McCain. If she doesn't change that, and I doubt she can given the dirty negativity of her campaign, then she can go bankrupt (unlikely) or get investigated (likely) for all I care.

And BTW, are you familiar with the differences between how Hillary and Obama fundraise? Obama doesn't rely on the closed-to-the-public fundraisers like your elitist old money hero(ine).

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove
Blackmail.

Blackmale:p Pres has it right.. as a gesture for endorsements it's customary to pay off your competitors debts... if you don't well that's never happened.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: M0RPH

Because Hillary wants a future in the party?

If you were a Democrat, would you want to start off on the wrong foot with the future Democratic President of the United States?

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
It is actually customary as a sign of "no ill will" to help out with the loser in the primaries. He doesnt have to pay ALL the debt, but to be "the great uniter" he thinks he is, he has to help out some.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
i can see obama pushing the clinton's aside or maybe even out of the power picture of the dem party if he does as well as his apparent potential indicates.

the clinton's want to remain as the patriarch/matriarch of the dem party with all the power that comes with it. they can't remain there without obama's cooperation.

fading into the background of the dem political power structure would be a nightmare scenario that the clinton's want to avoid at all costs and something that obama will use to good measure what with the power sharing negotiations among the dem players currently being in high gear.

seems to me obama holds a better hand at the moment and is in a much better position to demand favorable terms from the clinton's.