Why should I keep playing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
sze you have a 7970 and game 1-2 hours a week? Damn..that's a lot of money spent for little in return.

I have a 7950. I use it probably 1 hour a week maximum. When I do though, the experience is enjoyable. I wouldn't have settled for less. I do wish I had gotten crossfire 7870s though. Titan performance for around 400 dollars is very appealing.

Foreign and old school parents don't understand games, think it's a waste of time. I can see how they can be right because my younger brother will always do his homework last and play games or sit on the pc all day. It's all about discipline.

I hear you on that. My parents are foreign, hate every single one of my hobbies. If I'm not eating/sleeping, I'm supposed to be studying or doing math apparently (I'm not asian....). Even lifting to stay in good shape isn't a good enough hobby for them. Find Hobbies you like, ignore what people say. Always going to be a hater.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Something must be wrong with him. I have a gf and get sex regularly and I'll still leave the most intense multiplayer match to get laid.

But it's tough when you get pulled away from the pc and have to leave the game running lol. I'm always worrying about it messing up my hardware.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
If you have to ask yourself that question, it's time to quit. I wouldn't PC game if I didn't enjoy it, if that enjoyment ever ends i'm done.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
In all seriousness, it sounds like the OP should talk to a therapist.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I hear you on that. My parents are foreign, hate every single one of my hobbies. If I'm not eating/sleeping, I'm supposed to be studying or doing math apparently (I'm not asian....). Even lifting to stay in good shape isn't a good enough hobby for them. Find Hobbies you like, ignore what people say. Always going to be a hater.

sounds like you should be listening to your parents until you are old enough to go to rated R movies by yourself or move out of the house.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
its the same with anything.

if you are addicted to something to the point where it interferes/stops you from doing other things you want/need to do, then it is a problem.

for example, if you call in sick to work, or skip school in order to just stay at home and play a game, then that is a problem.

if you just play games in your free time, that's not a problem. i think its stupid when people assume video games are a "childs thing." these people are obviously thinking about games like Super Mario Brothers etc. when they say that. Video games have come a long way and are equally valid for adults to enjoy them. In fact many games are only meant to be enjoyed by adults.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I think the thing that baffles me is that you get upset after playing and delete the games... Why do you get upset? Because "society" thinks gaming is bad?

You should do whatever you want with your life, and if gaming is what you have fun doing, then do it
If youre not having fun, then dont

It really is that simple
Stop caring about what people think and do what you enjoy

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
sounds like you should be listening to your parents until you are old enough to go to rated R movies by yourself or move out of the house.

Sounds like you should understand where other people are coming from before opening your mouth.

Feb 25, 2011
You're allowed to have more than one hobby. If I am just too pissed with the timewasting to enjoy a game, I'll usually go build something.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Hello all,

I need some help. I've been a PC gamer for the last 10 years. I love video games but I have gotten to the point that I view gaming as a waste of time. Also, I'm very concerned about video game addiction.

I go through cycles:

First, I will start craving a game, like Skyrim.
Next, I will download the game and all it's mods.
Then, I will play the hell of the game. I've played Skyrim for 12 hours straight at a time. But this is the exception and not the rule.
Finally, I get upset with myself and I delete the game and the other games in my Steam account.

Just in the last 2 weeks I've deleted and re-installed a few of my games from Steam at least 5 times. I've also returned 3 game controllers in the last 2 months because I was playing NBA 2K13 too much. I crave a game, install, play, get upset and delete. Then it starts all over again. It's a very bad cycle.

*I keep telling myself to just limit my game play to 1-2 hours per day.
*I've noticed that I will spend more time on Facebook and You Tube if I am not gaming.
*I'm going to be 40 in a few years.
*I don't watch television.

Part of me loves gaming. I get a kick out of playing video games. Also, I've seen videos and I've read articles on the pro's and con's of video games. I've done my research. On the other side of the coin, I feel like I haven't accomplished enough in life, and video games are holding me back.

Finally, I think my mother has something to do with my negative thoughts on video gaming. She didn't understand why I played. She would constantly tell me that I was wasting my time, and that video games are a waste of time. She would say "do you want to be a loser like your uncle?" Also, "what are you doing with yourself? You would rather play video games then become a success!"

Thanks. :)

You do have some problems to deal with, but video games are not the source, and the determination with which you seek to attribute your problems to video games is probably highly counterproductive. I strongly suggest you do not take your advice from a gaming forum and instead seek some professional help, go set up a couple sessions with a therapist.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Most of us are part of the generation that grew up gaming. There is a negative stigma attached to it by the generation prior to us that did not grow up playing them and that is why parents and other older people talk about games being a waste of time. These same people don't bat an eye at watched 30 hours of TV every week. As time goes on perceptions about gaming will change.