Why should Homosexuals be allowed to be married?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Ask the question right. You are trying to redefine marriage. Marriage has ALWAYS been between a man and a woman - PERIOD. So it would be a "special" right. If your relationship doesn't qualify to be considered for marriage(ie man and woman) then that is your choice. What you are asking is to redefine what marriage is and always has been. You call it ridiculous - I call it morallity. EVERYONE has the same RIGHT to marry a person of the opposite sex if they choose - so they have just as many rights as I do in the marriage department.

CkG

Face it Cad, you're discriminating against a segment of the population based on your moralistic and religious views. Discrimination under the law is unconstitutional. It's only a matter of time until all persons have equal rights and protections under the law. If we only did things the same way we've always done them, we'd never grow and prosper as a society. It's exactly this kind of closed-minded thinking that prevented women from voting and blacks from having equal rights. I suppose you'd like to knock society back a good 50 or so years? Gimme a break.

Bah - I had a long detailed rebuttle but lost it trying to post it - dasm fangled technology.:p

Anyway I'm sick of trying to debate this issue with people who won't tolerate morality and religious views. Have fun in life - I have no wish to discuss this further because until you understand Christianity and the teachings of God you will continue to bash those who do.
Again, I seriously hope that someone with more patience than I will someday show each of you the way.:)

CkG

Feb 3, 2001
You mean the Evil way of Christianity (as created by Paul...excuse me, Saul...) ? Been down that road, no point doing it again. The dogma of maintaining the Status Quo for all eternity is tired, old and IMMORAL.

Jason

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Wow, you'd think CkG would want to have the last word on this thread. No? ;)
But he will settle for the most absurd one. He's like a blind boxer that punches anything that comes near. He has the ultimate bigot's defense, "you don't know what it's like to be bigoted so you're unqualified to judge what I post".

The opposition to gay marriage is the result of personal inability to get beyond ones personal bias against homosexuality. It is irrational and generally but not always religiously inspired. A person is free to believe what they want, but let's not loose sight of the fact of the bigotry. You have a right to be bigoted, but you are bigoted if you bring your religion to bare on this issue.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
CAD

Anyway I'm sick of trying to debate this issue with people who won't tolerate morality and religious views. Have fun in life - I have no wish to discuss this further because until you understand Christianity and the teachings of God you will continue to bash those who do.

The entire point of this discussion is that Christian teachings have no basis for law in this country. I may think religion is crap, but I honestly hope your beliefs serve you well in your life and advocate defending to the death your right to hold and practice those beliefs. Most of my friends consider themselves Christians and I never broach the subject of religion myself. I can discuss religion, but I never look to convert anyone to my way of thinking. It does not matter to me what anyone's personal beliefs are until they try to force them on me either as an individual missionary project or by making religion based laws.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s being taught that "queers" were discusting perverts. I came to realize as I grew older that they were many kinds of poeple in the world who were different from me and that alone did not make them bad. Though we tend to catagorize ourselves as part of groups (Catholics, Americans, Hoosiers, Democrats, etc.) the great idea of this country is that we should tolerate other groups and that the government not judge or grade the worth of groups, so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. If you leave religion out of the picture, there is no rational basis for excluding homosexual marriage.