Why should Gov Workers not feel pain too?

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
It amazes me that the MSM can report on real income dropping for working Americans in the private sector but get upset when government employees, including municipal workers, teachers, fire fighters, and law enforcement have the same impact. The people who pay these salaries are hurting with less pay. Government tells them to deal with it, but don't cut our pay.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Because those people are public servants. It's not like they get better pay, benefits, and retirement than everyone else...

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
There are way too many govt employees and they get paid way too much. They get paid 50% more on average than private sector employees get paid and that's ridiculous.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Only COLA, not step pay increases and promotions. The people don't get COLA, so it should end for federal employees permanently.

Untrue for the local school districts. My wife is a 5th year teacher at step 0 making the same as a 1st year teacher. They're hopeful to be able to give step increases next year, but I doubt it will happen. This basically means she'll make less for the rest of her career and in retirement, assuming the pension system is still around. She still loves her job and she's thankful to have it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'd like a source for that claim.

He pulled it out of his ass...like most of his claims.

Public employees, at least the "working stiffs" who build and maintain our roads, bridges, irrigation systems, etc., get paid far less than they would doing similar work for the private sector...but they often have better pension plans and medical plans than the private sector.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I have read that 107,000 federal workers are going to get laid off due to the sequestration. Is that enough pain to fit your needs?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Military got a 1% pay raise in 2013, will get a 1% pay raise in 2014. Doesn't seem right now does it? Tuition assistance just got yanked as well.

Apr 27, 2012
These government workers many of whom are against Capitalism get paid way too much and many aren't even necessary. A lot of them are just useless and should be fired.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
These government workers many of whom are against Capitalism get paid way too much and many aren't even necessary. A lot of them are just useless and should be fired.

Care to provide a list of whom you're referring to? Or, at the very least, a department by department breakdown, listing the number of unnecessary employees, why they're unnecessary, and which positions they currently occupy?

Or is this just another senseless diatribe, by someone who knows NOTHING about which they spew forth venomous blather?? :rolleyes:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It amazes me that the MSM can report on real income dropping for working Americans in the private sector but get upset when government employees, including municipal workers, teachers, fire fighters, and law enforcement have the same impact.
Instead of constantly spewing nebulous garbage, it would be really useful if you actually started citing example illustrating your claims. Show when and how the MSM has reported on real income dropping without portraying it as a bad thing (i.e., getting 'upset" in your words).

The people who pay these salaries are hurting with less pay.
Careful, you're mixing conflicting talking points. The right wing loves to claim it's the wealthy who are paying most of the taxes ... yet the wealthy are NOT getting by with less at all. They're doing great.

Government tells them to deal with it, but don't cut our pay.
Again, cite an example. Don't just wave your hands and claim 'x' did/said 'y'. Give an example so there's something specific to discuss. Otherwise, the only response you warrant is "Nuh-uh". This claim seems especially suspect given that it's not the government who determines private sector real income. It is, curiously enough, the private sector that does that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Once upon a time there were two farmers.

The first had everything going for him. It never rained too much or too little. Whatever he planted grew and produced more and better than anyone else in the land. He was wealthy, he was healthy and very happy. His prized possession was his cow who gave the best and sweetest milk anyone could ever remember.

His neighbor, although he was right next to the lucky farmer had flood or drought. His animals were sickly, his crops withered and died. He was miserable through no fault of his own.

God saw this and took pity on the poor farmer and sent an angel to grant him one wish. He appeared and told the fellow what God had sent him to do. He was amazed and happy that God looked on him this way and with just a moments thought exclaimed with laughter "Kill my neighbors cow!"

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Gov workers don't enjoy bonuses that are paid out to private sector employees when the economy is thriving. They don't enjoy pay raises that go above and beyond the outlined step pay increases.

Essentially, they've reduced their risks of fluctuations for a steadier flow of income because they lose out when the economy is doing great. A promotion isn't just handed to you by kissing higher ups' butts. There are processes and procedures that have to be followed to ensure fairness.

Apr 27, 2012
Its time government workers feel the pain too. The private sector is the one who pays the wages for many of these useless ingrates and these guys need to take a hit as well.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
It amazes me that the MSM can report on real income dropping for working Americans in the private sector but get upset when government employees, including municipal workers, teachers, fire fighters, and law enforcement have the same impact. The people who pay these salaries are hurting with less pay. Government tells them to deal with it, but don't cut our pay.

Your whole post reeks of sour grapes. "I felt economic hardship - so should they!!!"

Keep in mind that the recession we just we through didn't force all Americans to take a pay cut. There are large parts of our populace that felt no difference in their professional lives.

The problem with the sequestration is that it does not cut in areas where the military can afford to actually make cuts. It's indiscriminate nature means we are facing cuts across the board, even in areas that are already undermanned. My installation has been through 3-4 RIFs (Reductions in Force) in the past few years already.

Take for instance the contracting squadron I work at: we provide all of the procurement services to our base (IE - we buy everything, we write the contracts for all services and construction). Having gone through many of these RIFs and the current hiring freeze, our Contracting Officers are already doing the work of many people. I am the network administrator for our contracting system and network in our building - a position that used to include multiple people in the past, but due to RIFs and hiring freezes, it has been whittled down to one (me). There are many days in the pay period where we all work 10+ hour days - without paid overtime (we get comp hours). Since we're undermanned, most of us never get to use those hours. I can tell you personally that I have hundreds of hours that I will not be able to ever use.

In our case, we're taking cuts from people who are already stretched thin as it is. We're not just losing one day a week in work - we're losing all of the overtime they're also working. Someone working a 50 hour work week will be federally mandated to work no more than 32 hours.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You're a fucking moron.
Doubtful. I suspect he's a twelve year old virgin, typing from the safety of his mommy's house. He's probably steamed that she won't raise his allowance.

Oh, and by the way, your post is offensive to morons.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So government workers shouldn't face any cuts?

"Any cuts" is too broad. There needs to be reform of the bureaucracy and if that means some have to seek employment elsewhere that's one thing. Cutting just to cut is like surgery with a broadaxe. Not very smart.

Consider this- anyone who is working and gets canned will go on unemployment and collect money for doing nothing. The economy isn't being addressed except in ineffective and unoriginal ways so it's not like there are jobs for these. Sure you can kill their cows, and you can pay them for not working and put them in competition for your job, but maybe it's better to make sure everyone can get a good paying job to start with.

Apr 27, 2012
"Any cuts" is too broad. There needs to be reform of the bureaucracy and if that means some have to seek employment elsewhere that's one thing. Cutting just to cut is like surgery with a broadaxe. Not very smart.

Consider this- anyone who is working and gets canned will go on unemployment and collect money for doing nothing. The economy isn't being addressed except in ineffective and unoriginal ways so it's not like there are jobs for these. Sure you can kill their cows, and you can pay them for not working and put them in competition for your job, but maybe it's better to make sure everyone can get a good paying job to start with.

If we dont cut the spending then the problems will get even worse.

But we have to take a hard look at the bureaucrats. Start with abolishing the department of education which would save around $100billion/year and education is a STATE responsibility not a federal one.

Abolish the TSA which hasn't even been able to stop terrorists they were able to pass the TSA and it was the passengers/Free Individuals that stopped them not the government. Private security would be much more efficient, cheaper due to competition and faster.

As well the salaries/benefits of these government workers are way out of line and need to be brought down to match the private sector.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Only COLA, not step pay increases and promotions. The people don't get COLA, so it should end for federal employees permanently.

The people (by that I assume you mean non-governmental employees) do not get direct COLA pay, but they get it indirectly. People who work in high cost areas are paid more than people doing the same job in low cost areas.

The government uses COLA since their pay is the same regardless of where you live - COLA allows people to actually survive in the high cost areas.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
The people who pay these salaries are hurting with less pay. Government tells them to deal with it, but don't cut our pay.

Living Large in the Obama White House

Obama won! You can't expect him to take cuts like the little people can you?

If you were from Chicago, you would know that, for Obama, the sequester is just another form of political patronage.

Every Chicago politician has to pay off the people that supported him.

Did the military deliver the vote for Obama? Can't expect the same education benefits can you?

Did the school children that got their White House tours cancelled deliver the vote for Obama? No tours for them!

Just because you are a US citizen, or a member of the military, you can't possibly expect the same consideration from Obama as the people that voted for him can you?

Uno