Why Romney Never Saw It Coming

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Perknose, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Perknose

Perknose Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
    Forum Director

Like the article says, he's a numbers guy but his numbers were all wrong. It's a pretty good synopsis of his campaign's mistakes and delusions.

2. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

Psst Perknose come over here...The whole God damn Republican party is delusional which is perpetuated by Fox noise. :)

3. Jaskalas

Jaskalas Lifer

Last time Republicans granted Amnesty, Hispanic support dropped from 37% to 30%. So your OP article, Perknose, is plagued by talking points and at least one of them doesn't pass muster.

This one raised a red flag immediately.

4. Anarchist420

Anarchist420 Diamond Member

I thought Romney was going to win because the International Democrat union has won everywhere else, because I thought the Republicans could rig the ballots since they controlled every battleground State, and because no Presidential candidate not favored by Wall Street has ever won up until now.

The fact that Obama only won the popular vote by about 2 percentage points helps illustrate what pisspoor condition everything is in.

5. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

Find me a candidate that didn't think they were going to win.

6. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

The problem isn't with the candidate believing in himself, it's that his professional campaign staff bought into the BS too. Their whole job is to understand what's going on.

Looks like Obama out managed the expert manager, huh.

7. techs

techs Lifer

The "community organizer" outmanaged the "corporate CEO"

I am beginning to understand what is wrong with corporate America.

8. redgtxdi

redgtxdi Diamond Member

Don't kid yourself. Had Obama lost (sans Sandy or whatever other reason), his staff would have been scratching their heads just the same.

Nevertheless, I can't knock either side for optimism in the eve of the election. Both staffers talked a confident game but truly smart folks knew that nobody would know until the ballots we counted.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

9. finglobes

finglobes Senior member

THE main problem for Romney was that he didn't get his own base out. All the stories about Obama's vaunted ground game and that black voters jumped 4% are cute but don't explain Romney's loss better than the fact GOP leadership cadre is weak weak weak. They wanted independents sooo bad - yet they put a stick in the eye of tea party people and Ron Paul supporters (and I wasn't one). The 2010 election was about the debt - and as a soon as it was over weepy John Boehner and crew raised the debt limit out of fear of media defamtion (Reagan shut down gov 3 times).

Mitt ran a horrible campaign where he thought being soft and whispering sweet nothings would allow him to be invisible and coast across the finish line just because people would turn on Obama's job record. They assumed America voters were rational and thats deadly. To the Dems credit they understand just how dumb Americans have become.

Mitt came on strong one time after convention and that was first debate. Then Mitt went back to being Mr Peepers.

Romney camp and conservative media allowed themselves to get way over-focused on polls and not people.

#9 finglobes, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  10. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

While it's true that people tend to concentrate on mistakes after a loss and I'm sure Obama's campaign made their fair share of mistakes, this is still pretty bad.

It wasn't just that they were wrong, it was that publicly available polling told them that they were wrong and they ignored it. We actually DID know with a high degree of probability that Obama was going to win before the ballots were counted. That's how so many people were able to correctly call basically all the states, including the swing states.

Romney would have been better off reading Pollster.com than listening to his campaign staff it seems.

11. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

Reagan's government shutdowns had nothing to do with the debt. (you realize that if the national debt is your issue you should hate Ronald Reagan, right?)

You realize that Mitt was viewed as 'coming on strong' precisely because he moderated his positions, right? His previous campaign was so far to the ultra right that he was turning people off. When he shifted to the 'still the most right wing campaign in US history but a little less so' he was credited with making up ground.

I'm not sure if I actually believe that narrative, but the idea that Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough is a fantasy. To be clear though it's a fantasy that I highly encourage the right to continue believing in as it will make piling up more victories even easier.

12. IGBT

IGBT Lifer

Romney lost because the US now has a critical mass of moochers and parasites. We are now the United Moochers of America.

13. finglobes

finglobes Senior member

"Reagan's government shutdowns had nothing to do with the debt. "

Reasons don't matter. For the MSM it always comes down to showing GOP throwing old people and children over the cliffs no matter what the specifics of the issue are.

14. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

Ohh, you're one of the believers in the fairy tale of media bias. I see! Keep on believing the conservative media, look what a good job they did with this election!

15. Farang

Farang Lifer

These articles pushing the idea that this surprised the Romney campaign are bull. It's an attempt for them to sidestep blame of their donors and say, 'Nobody expected THIS turnout--we were helpless!'

It's also an attempt to absolve themselves of blame for failing to attract certain demographics of voters that everyone recognized were important this cycle.

16. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

That is far from the truth...thats the way die hard republicans think even when the fact do not bear them out.

Romney lost because he did not embrace the hispanics.....
    He lost because he did not embrace womens rights --ie...abortion.....
    He lost because he took a firm stand against gay marriage and he essentially lost because nobody trusted him....

17. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. abaez

abaez Diamond Member

I kind of agree.

Saturday polls:
    [​IMG]

Oct 26
    [​IMG]

The writing was on the wall on MANY polls, but they decided to ignore them making up some BS excuses about the polls showing an Obama lead. Just look at the Romney is leading the polls thread here to see the ignorance. To say that they were surprised is a lame duck excuse when the large majority of polls had Obama in the lead.

19. Thump553

Thump553 Diamond Member

Having been involved at it at a bottom level, my impression was the Obama ground game was heads and shoulders above Romneys. Even a substantial improvement over Obama's 2008 ground game which is pretty legendary for its effectiveness.

The article left out the effect of dingbat undercard GOP. I think they scared a lot of potential voters off and motivated a LOT of Obama's base. Much as the average knuckle-dragger GOP voter despises Obama, Dems, independents and a lot of GOP despise the GOP Congress even more. We had a Senate race here that was supposed to be close (2-3 percent either way)-the Dem won by 12%.

Romney's main problem was that, although he looked presidential, he frequently acted like a buffoon and more importantly absolutely no one trusted him at all on anything.

But the article had the main point right-the GOP echo chamber greatly overestimated the hatred of Obama. Fact is the majority of Americans like him and he has frequently proved himself to most voters, at a minimum, as a very competent President. Sandy certainly didn't hurt in that regard.

20. infoiltrator

infoiltrator Senior member

Obama has shown concern and respect for the entire country, as it is.

Romney has shown by word and action, he has no clue, no concern for the country as it is. He harkens to King George III, not Washington or Jefferson.

21. peonyu

peonyu Golden Member

Living in South Florida, my phone rang about once every 2 minutes with either a recorded message from Bill Clinton on it or Eva longoria. At one point I had to unplug the phone as I worked a gy shift and was being woken up by the same damn recording over and over again, if the Democrats proved one thing its that they have little respect for people other than your vote.

22. finglobes

finglobes Senior member

"Having been involved at it at a bottom level, my impression was the Obama ground game was heads and shoulders above Romneys"

That's not saying much. 75% of GOP base would have told you Romney's campaign sucked all summer. They were tigers vs other GOP in primaries and then became squishy weenies when confronted with Obama's MSM (Media Shield for Melanin)

23. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

Two different Americas went to the polls, the real Americans and the folk who claimed that only they were the real Americans. The real America won.

24. Athena

Athena Golden Member

I was stunned when I read that the Romney campaign operatives were cooking the books in some sort of fantasy project to "correct" the polls. They were making decisions about a half-billion dollar budget based on their own skewed view of reality! Was that supposed to be an illustration of Romney's vaunted business expertise?

You really have to wonder about the innumeracy of these folks. I now understand why we never did get to see actual numbers for the Romney/Ryan budget. They didn't like the polls so they changed the data. They didn't like a CRS report that indicated tax cuts had no effect on jobs or growth so they tried to make it unavailable to the public.

I'm sorry folks but mathematics is not a belief system; you don't "believe" in math, you understand it. It's possible to understand math and believe in God at the same time -- honest.

25. mshan

mshan Diamond Member

Project Narwahl:

Strategic Vision
    :

#25 mshan, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012