Why racial humor works and can help heal wounds

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I put this here with all the strife going on in the world, this will give you a laugh. And yes, racial humor totally works when in the hands of someone like Dave Chapelle.

From 2004 so you will have to think back to some of the references. Can you identify a young Bill Burr?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Dave Chapelle is one of the most brilliant voices in comedy. He’s genuine and relevant, but also unapologetic. Even when offensive, there is depth and layers to how he approaches and deconstructs social issues.

He stems from a small crop of politically independent and unique comedic talents and voices. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and John Stewart, draw their material from similar wells. Probably not a coincidence that all originated on Comedy Central in the late 90s and early 00s.

Reactions: TheVrolok
Mar 11, 2004
Er, didn't Dave himself say the racial jokes were actually why he abandoned the show, because the white people he worked with were getting a very different thing from it and he realized it was basically enabling their shitty attitude where it helped them marginalize racism, and that they were pushing for him to do more of that?

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont think most of The Left has a problem with humor for the sake of humor. They're just trying to eliminate racism from the real world, or at least kill the negative effect it has on society.
Only the most extreme SJW actually thinks racial humor should be eliminated, and those nuts never accomplish anything practical so they should be ignored.

Reactions: delilah22

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Er, didn't Dave himself say the racial jokes were actually why he abandoned the show, because the white people he worked with were getting a very different thing from it and he realized it was basically enabling their shitty attitude where it helped them marginalize racism, and that they were pushing for him to do more of that?
Time magazine did a good article on his decision. It was a combination of factors, but creative control, a fear that money would change him and a worry that in making stereotypes a dimension of his comedy, that he was also perpetuating them, and the power of his voice reflected back at him from his audience.

He seems like an honorable guy that didn’t want fame and fortune to corrupt his core values.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
The woke mob had decided it can never be funny. If you think it's funny you are racist. /end conversation

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Always liked his show. One of my all time favorites. In case you've somehow never seen it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The message in this topic is the polar opposite of what we've been hearing from Democrats for well over a decade. Excuse me while I wait for the dust to settle over mixed messages, as I've a feeling its the other side in the debate that'll win the day.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I wouldn’t call it “racial humor”, but making fun of people as generalizations is at the core of what comedy is. I mean, didn’t Russell Peters build his entire career on “racial” humor? I think there’s a subtlety involved in what’s fair play vs. what’s crossing the line. Two rules:

1) It’s generally better if the person making fun of People X is also a member of People X.

2) The jokes about People X work best when People X themselves pay to hear them in growing numbers (I.e. they are in the audience and are generally the first to sample any new material from that comedian.)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The message in this topic is the polar opposite of what we've been hearing from Democrats for well over a decade. Excuse me while I wait for the dust to settle over mixed messages, as I've a feeling its the other side in the debate that'll win the day.
When have Democrats said racial humor is bad? I've heard both black and white comedians make black jokes and they were hilarious. One of the more funny bits was a white comedian using the n-word and it was very funny.

Are you confusing humor with racism?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You haven’t been listening very well.