Why no SMT in Ryzen 3 cpus/apu?

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
Is there any technical reason why SMT is absent in Ryzen 3 cpus/apu like cpu defect or is this just product differentiation?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Is there any technical reason why SMT is absent in Ryzen 3 cpus/apu like cpu defect or is this just product differentiation?
4/8 is Ryzen 5 already.

Not going to go 2/4 at this point.

Don't know about technical limits, but there doesn't seem to be a spot for a 4/8 Ryzen 3 chip.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
AMD uses produce segmentation for defective die recovery (though, I suspect, they are having to actually disable functional sections now to meet their product spread market volume numbers due to a maturing process tech). Given that, I suspect that AMD just isn't having that many die that have more than a couple of defective cores that are still otherwise functional to recover. Actually, it looks like R3 segmentation is likely based on failed L3 Cache cells. It looks like their 4 core parts (non-apu) all have half their L3 cache disabled. Given the reduction in L3 cache, it would likely heavily impact the ability of the processor to keep 8 threads fed enough to justify having SMT active. So, disable SMT, keep more real cores, and sell a competitive product.

Reactions: prtskg

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Not going to go 2/4 at this point.

The 2C/4T Athlon 200GE has been spotted in the wild. With Vega3 graphics, it would make a decent bottom-end choice. Also features a 35W TDP, so passive cooling is an option.

As to whether it will make it to retail is another matter...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I would have thought AMD would not have made dual cores for the desktop these days.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I would have thought AMD would not have made dual cores for the desktop these days.
Seems more like a NUC like CPU and not aimed actual Desktops. But RR suffers from only having 4 cores to start with. If they didn't offer a 2c solution they wouldn't have anywhere to go with any dies with a bad core.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I could see some $300-400 laptops sporting 220GE APUs. Could be a nice budget option, should AMD pursue that avenue. Then again, they risk OEMs ONLY carrying the 2C/4T options for AMD.

Reactions: Drazick

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I could see some $300-400 laptops sporting 220GE APUs. Could be a nice budget option, should AMD pursue that avenue. Then again, they risk OEMs ONLY carrying the 2C/4T options for AMD.
I'm thinking that for my next notebook, if I buy one, it will have at least a 4c/4t processor.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
I bought laptop with 2c/4t CPU, 6GB RAM and 500GB HDD in (partially) aluminum case (HP ProBook) 6 years ago for $400. I would expect at least 4c/4t, 8GB od RAM and 256GB SSD today for the same price.

Reactions: whm1974

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought laptop with 2c/4t CPU, 6GB RAM and 500GB HDD in (partially) aluminum case (HP ProBook) 6 years ago for $400. I would expect at least 4c/4t, 8GB od RAM and 256GB SSD today for the same price.
Sadly, your expectations for the laptop market are a bit too high. 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD, NEW, starts at around $750.

Reactions: Drazick

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
There are 4c/8t, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD laptops for €500 (inc. 19% VAT). I suppose those (or similar) could be found in US for $500.
https://geizhals.eu/acer-aspire-3-a....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk
https://geizhals.eu/hp-15-bs114ng-b....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

The cheapest one with 4c/4t is only €50 cheaper, with HDD and uselsess dGPU (Radeon 535) I say useless, cause it's just a bit faster than IGP, but it certainly increased SUC (and price) of this laptop
https://geizhals.eu/hp-pavilion-15-....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

Unfortunately, most of the cheaper models (around €400) come with R3-2200U, which is 2c/4t, instead od R3 2300U (4c/4t). It isalso bad decision in my opinion to use same name (R3) for these processors. Though it is still much better than 2c/4t i7 intel used up until 8th gen
https://geizhals.eu/hp-14-cm0200ng-....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Sadly, your expectations for the laptop market are a bit too high. 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD, NEW, starts at around $750.
That sounds about right. I brought a refurbished Thinkpad T430 for $170 last year and when I get around to upgrading it with another 4GB of RAM and an SSD, the total will be somewhere around ~$300.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
It's product segmentation. The chances of a defect hitting a core in such a way that the structures required for SMT are non functional but keeping the core otherwise intact are basically slim to none.

at the end of the day yes...
but I heard that they save time by not validating HT/SMT on these CPUs, so who knows...

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
Seems more like a NUC like CPU and not aimed actual Desktops. But RR suffers from only having 4 cores to start with. If they didn't offer a 2c solution they wouldn't have anywhere to go with any dies with a bad core.

Well- if there were many chips with defects in cores- they could always salvage them as 3-cores with 6 threads. Such SKU would be as capable as 4c/4t. However- they chose to release R3 2300U, which requires all cores to be healthy, and dual core 2200U. It hints at segmentation, not the need to salvage dies.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Not every product with reduced core count is one with salvaged dies. But you need a product that you can use salvaged dies for the ones that you need.

Not sure a 3 core CPU really has a place any more. Just not enough separation in pricing to make something that doesn't seem fit well in the product family. 2-4-6-8-12-16-24-32 cores. 3 core doesn't make sense.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Not every product with reduced core count is one with salvaged dies. But you need a product that you can use salvaged dies for the ones that you need.

Not sure a 3 core CPU really has a place any more. Just not enough separation in pricing to make something that doesn't seem fit well in the product family. 2-4-6-8-12-16-24-32 cores. 3 core doesn't make sense.

You only real "NEED" this if your yields are quite bad. But I don't believe yield drives core disabling to any significant extent. But instead it is just a segmentation strategy first and foremost.

For instance, Intel doesn't ever seem to use core disabled dies on mainstream sockets or laptops. It is usually only when they get to their 10+ core dies that Intel uses less than all the cores on a die.

OTOH AMD seems to almost always do this.

I don't think this indicates that AMD has bad yields, but instead, being smaller than Intel, it has always been a cost saving measure to have fewer designs taped out and in production, saving those costs. This is the driver, not bad cores.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
at the end of the day yes...
but I heard that they save time by not validating HT/SMT on these CPUs, so who knows...
There's not much validation to do on what is basically a downcored chip that you're already using everywhere else.

You only real "NEED" this if your yields are quite bad. But I don't believe yield drives core disabling to any significant extent. But instead it is just a segmentation strategy first and foremost.

For instance, Intel doesn't ever seem to use core disabled dies on mainstream sockets or laptops. It is usually only when they get to their 10+ core dies that Intel uses less than all the cores on a die.

OTOH AMD seems to almost always do this.

I don't think this indicates that AMD has bad yields, but instead, being smaller than Intel, it has always been a cost saving measure to have fewer designs taped out and in production, saving those costs. This is the driver, not bad cores.
Intel has very high yield standards before shipping a product. I don't believe it's realistic to compare them to other fabs in that regard.

IMO downcoring does significantly help with yields. The cores are such big and dense structures that a defect is fairly likely to hit them.

Last edited:

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017

You misunderstood. 4c/4t and 3c/6t capability is the same, but one needs fully functioning CCX, and the other- can have a defect in one of the cores. AMD chose to release 2300U as 4c/4t, not 3c/6t, that would make sense if they were having bad yields.