why no mass Covid outbreak in mask-hating southern States?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
We're vacationing in Gatlinburg, TN this week. It's a touristy destination with tens of thousands of people congregating in close-quarters, at least on the weekends.
Better question: why are you taking a vacation and traveling during the most serious health crisis of our lifetime? We're past 9/11 deaths daily now.
You strike me as someone who still doesn't understand what we're dealing with here, or worse, you're selfish enough to not GAF.
People tend to conflate "want" with "need".
You know, stuff like this is total crap. Cancer and Heart Disease are still killing far more people every day than Covid is, but nobody is treating those like it's a national tragedy.
Hey. Dumbass. Cancer and heart disease aren't contagious.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You know, stuff like this is total crap. Cancer and Heart Disease are still killing far more people every day than Covid is, but nobody is treating those like it's a national tragedy.

No, but I will assume you are one dumb motherfucker if you are honestly comparing cancer and heart disease to A HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS INFECTION THAT CAN KILL IN DAYS.

Any other ridiculous shit we can help you with? The tragedy is there are still people thinking like you, after almost 290,000 Americans have died from it. Pretty damn unbelievable really.

Reactions: feralkid and Pohemi

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
No, but I will assume you are one dumb motherfucker if you are honestly comparing cancer and heart disease to A HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS INFECTION THAT CAN KILL IN DAYS.

Any other ridiculous shit we can help you with? The tragedy is there are still people thinking like you, after almost 290,000 Americans have died from it. Pretty damn unbelievable really.

You're missing the point. In a country of over 300 million people, 3,000 people dying in a day is like a rounding error.

Everybody dies someday... not everyone really lives. Some people around here need to stop hiding in their bunkers and get outside once in awhile.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You're missing the point. In a country of over 300 million people, 3,000 people dying in a day is like a rounding error.

Everybody dies someday... not everyone really lives. Some people around here need to stop hiding in their bunkers and get outside once in awhile.
3K dead a day is no big deal, is what you're saying. Got it. Especially when they may very well have been avoided or preventable.

And then you go on to project some mud for shits n giggles.

Shut the fuck up, clown.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
3K dead a day is no big deal, is what you're saying. Got it. Especially when they may very well have been avoided or preventable.

And then you go on to project some mud for shits n giggles.

Shut the fuck up, clown.
He's not the only assclown that said as much in this thread alone. It's incredibly insulting to all the families that have been affected by Covid-19, whether from a disease or economic perspective. The quip that everybody dies eventually is so ignorant; yeah old (and all) people will pass away at some point but for many it wasn't supposed to be 2020. Anyway, no sense in convincing the stupid. They're lost beyond hope already.

Reactions: feralkid and Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Someone here posted this link some time ago - it's pretty striking if you select 'sort by state partisanship'. Though "Republican" isn't synonymous with "Southern", and if anything it acts more like a sorting algorithm for the politics than geography. Red states consistently make their way to the top of the chart. It's like watching some kind of sorting-algorithm being demonstrated. Interesting to watch Wisconsin making it's late mad dash to become the only non-Republican state in the top 10 (what's going on there?). By the end the top spots are all Republican-states-that-aren't-Southern. I presume the climate has a lot to do with it?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Interesting to watch Wisconsin making it's late mad dash to become the only non-Republican state in the top 10 (what's going on there?).
WI is purple as fuck. Biden took WI by ~20k votes total. Almost ALL votes for democratic candidates come from Milwaukee and Dane counties (Madison), and perhaps a few from Brown county (Green Bay).
Most of the state is rural areas or small towns with less than 30k people, lots of farmers, and all the rednecks you could shake a stick at.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Hey. Dumbass. Cancer and heart disease aren't contagious.
1 and 2
He's not the only assclown that said as much in this thread alone. It's incredibly insulting to all the families that have been affected by Covid-19, whether from a disease or economic perspective. The quip that everybody dies eventually is so ignorant; yeah old (and all) people will pass away at some point but for many it wasn't supposed to be 2020. Anyway, no sense in convincing the stupid. They're lost beyond hope already.
Or the obese, drinking smokers that are the worst risk. Personal choices be damned, I say.

But, hey, nursing homes were good enough for Cuomo. AMIRITE?

Amen, Brother.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
1 and 2

Or the obese, drinking smokers that are the worst risk. Personal choices be damned, I say.

But, hey, nursing homes were good enough for Cuomo. AMIRITE?

Amen, Brother.

Believe it or not, it's possible to call Cuomo's move there a complete fuckup and still do the same to anti-maskers dwelling in their own selfish alt reality. I really don't like the guy, but at least Cuomo fessed up to it, educated himself and got serious about the pandemic and is trying to be part of the solution now - unlike so many republican dumbfucks still deep in denial, damn near helping the disease.

Most republicans are more concerned with getting rich and loading courts in the confusion and stress of the pandemic, rather than helping fight it. Don't fucking kid yourself about which side is the loser on this front as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

No, you're missing the point. We invaded two countries over less than 3000 dead. This is a pandemic, 290k dead and climbing fast. You people call yourselves 'the party of life,' and 'pro-lifers,' so enough with the 'it's nothing but a number' blather. Talk about disgusting. You worship money and your own convenience, still haven't figured out that it's not just about YOU with something this (again) CONTAGIOUS. Seriously bob, go fuck yourself with being this dumb. Wasn't for you idiots we'd have snuffed this thing out months ago, the economy would be in better shape and I'd have a lot more trips to Maine/Quebec under my belt.

But your dipshit Dear Leader has to play golf, attempt to destroy elections. You know, 'other priorities.'

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Better question: why are you taking a vacation and traveling during the most serious health crisis of our lifetime? We're past 9/11 deaths daily now.

You strike me as someone who still doesn't understand what we're dealing with here, or worse, you're selfish enough to not GAF.

YeiQi9I.jpg

Yesterday would be #3 on that list. Then Tuesday would be #4. 9/11 #5. Today #6. Pretty confident the daily death toll will crush Antietam pretty soundly after Christmas.

Reactions: Pohemi

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yesterday would be #3 on that list. Then Tuesday would be #4. 9/11 #5. Today #6. Pretty confident the daily death toll will crush Antietam pretty soundly after Christmas.

It's true, that meme is days old. I think it still makes a point.

Let's keep in mind Trump and others said Obama failed at his job when 3 Americans died of ebola. Given some of the intended audience here, I don't think having precise totals to work with matters much to them.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
OP said he would try to protect himself and his family in this hazardous environment by wearing a mask, even when so many others are not. You have lost sight of WHICH mask!! The very first discussions of masks emphasized highly effective type N95 masks which CAN prevent you from inhaling miniscule airborne particles contaminated with the COVID virus. Trying to provide everyone with those AND enough to replace them every few days is impossible. THEN health officials realized that much less complex masks (and easy to get and maintain by washing) cannot prevent you from inhaling the virus in the air, but it CAN prevent you from EXHALING large droplets or moisture that contain the virus. So if EVERYONE wears those simple masks all the time, then there is almost NO virus in the air to breathe. Then you don't need the fancy N95 mask. The problem is: the simple cheap masks and process requires that EVERYONE gets on board so that everyone protects everyone. People who refuse to wear mask are not risking their lives. They are saying "F... YOU! I don't care about you!".

• Love
Reactions: skyking and Pohemi

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If you are outdoors, the wind/breeze is very helpful at dissipating COVID and helping to reduce risk of spreading it.

This. Wind and rain are your friends with airborne pathogens. I do my shopping at night, especially when it sucks outside. It factors into not having to deal with many people at all once inside too. Props to the places that have performed negative air pressure upgrades for customer and student safety.

Reactions: Captante

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
We tried the "hide until it goes away" thing back in April... it didn't work. It sure wrecked the economy in the process, though.

The thing is no, we didn't. Bullshit and exemptions everywhere. We took a half-ass swing at it and plenty of people were as unconcerned then as they are now. Didn't give 1/2 a rat's ass and instead harassed journalists and health care workers over 'the hoax.' China hid. New Zealand hid. Australia hid.

This partisan cognitive dissonance is kind of the reason we lead the world in Covid19 infections. Are you tired of winning yet?

• Love
Reactions: Captante and Pohemi
Nov 20, 2009
The only places I'm not seeing people wearing masks in strength are actual restaurants. Fast food lobbies are closed, but in restaurants very few are wearing them at their tables, which in my neck of the woods have table edged no closer than six feet from one another. I do see most people put a mask back on when going to use the bathroom, but that's another story I refuse to partake in. Thankfully I've got the bladder of a camel and a cast iron stomach.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The Battle of Antietam probably lasted several hours, and war fatalities are uniquely horrible. Also take in national population into account, and something like Antietam really has no parallels in the modern age of news reporting. That meme has problems on several levels, but it's important to take away that there are many victims of COVID-19 on a daily basis, the shit hasn't even fully hit the fan yet, and it's preposterous for nutters to say shit like 300k deaths in 10 months is insignificant or that 3k a day is a rounding error.

I hate to promote anti-vaxxers but I challenge those who believe COVID-19 is a nothingburger to skip the vaccine. Everybody dies anyway and why get vaccinated for such a minor inconvenience? Let others who have succumbed to the media-induced fear be the guinea pigs instead.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
No, you're missing the point. We invaded two countries over less than 3000 dead. This is a pandemic, 290k dead and climbing fast. You people call yourselves 'the party of life,' and 'pro-lifers,' so enough with the 'it's nothing but a number' blather. Talk about disgusting. You worship money and your own convenience, still haven't figured out that it's not just about YOU with something this (again) CONTAGIOUS. Seriously bob, go fuck yourself with being this dumb. Wasn't for you idiots we'd have snuffed this thing out months ago, the economy would be in better shape and I'd have a lot more trips to Maine/Quebec under my belt.

But your dipshit Dear Leader has to play golf, attempt to destroy elections. You know, 'other priorities.'
The federal government is not the first line of defense for COVID. The states and especially the municipalities were. Assuming the Democratic Party is the better manager of the virus, it would entail that states and municipalities with Democratic leadership would stymie the virus, but that is not the case and New York's resposne was beyond embarassingly bad, and NYC's mayor encouraged them to "live normally".

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
We tried the "hide until it goes away" thing back in April... it didn't work. It sure wrecked the economy in the process, though.

Actually, it was working rather well and has worked in other places that actually do the masking, social distancing, lockdown thing correctly. Ask NZ how many cases they've had the last month. Ask Singapore how many cases they've had this month. Ask Australia how bad their current outbreak is this month (hint: it's zero.) Damn, even fuckin' Haiti is keeping the infection rate down, vastly better than practically anywhere in the U.S.

Reactions: KMFJD and Pohemi