Why no discussion on distributed.net?

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I've been randomly trying out several projects, and now I've got both my workstations doing distributed.net's key search. I did not like boinc.

However, there does not seem to be alot of discussion here for it like dpad and seti.

Why?

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Speaking for myself only I prefer to focus on medical projects at this time. Find A Drug is what I'm currently crunching as a member of the Rebel Alliance mini team. I'm sure others have their own reasons for not doing distributed.net

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
dnet isn't exactly the most beloved organization around here after they tried to hang David McOwen out to dry a couple of years ago.

McNugget in particular is pretty much universally considered a slimy turd.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Sheesh, and I liked this project :p

Ok, so what non boinc project is there I should try?

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: episodic
Sheesh, and I liked this project :p

Ok, so what non boinc project is there I should try?

Find A Drug is non boinc.

JeffCos

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2003
I do Folding at home. We've recently had a big surge in our production and we're scheduled to pass 10 teams. However, that still only puts us in 14th place. We could really use your two workstations to boost production even further. The client is simple to set up and runs well on dual proc and HT machines. Go to the Folding at home stats thread if you want to talk to some other guys who run it

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Hey JeffCos, our big surge is only temporary. Some guys are testing and burning in some servers that will go into production soon. Without more help we will be back to not passing any teams :(

JeffCos

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2003
Originally posted by: GLeeM
Hey JeffCos, our big surge is only temporary. Some guys are testing and burning in some servers that will go into production soon. Without more help we will be back to not passing any teams :(

:brokenheart:

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Oh... and btw -

There is no "official" boycott of dnet projects by TA. Obviously I don't speak for the TeAm, nor would anyone hold a grudge against anyone else for running them.

Obviously I have personal "issues" with them, as do a number of our members, but
perhaps I could have couched my comments in a slightly less concrete manner, so
please don't be necessarily put off by anything that happened years ago.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: DanC
dnet isn't exactly the most beloved organization around here after they tried to hang David McOwen out to dry a couple of years ago.

Yep, what DanC said is pretty much what I would say too. But I'd add in "two-faced scum-sucking pathetic" before "slimy" ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: networkman

Yep, what DanC said is pretty much what I would say too. But I'd add in "two-faced scum-sucking pathetic" before "slimy" ;)

:thumbsup:

Two Ironic things I notice about the old Jobstead too. Their Ads scrolling across the top and I recently got asked by a Recruiter if I wanted a Switch job there. Of course I occasionally run into the old Bosses at the HQ's (I still work in Telecom, just not there). I'm not sure how they would react to me coming back onboard there.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
I don't necessarily want to open any "old wounds," but I can't help but be curious about what ultimately happened to all the "players" in that scenario.

We know governor what's-his-face is toast.
We know Thurbie is still masquerading as AG.
Cassie seems to have vanished. (probably managing a mobile home park now)
Obviously David is still in our fold... and still computing, and STILL CRUNCHING! (go Dave!) :beer: Obviously it was no picnic for him. They pretty-much fscked up his whole life. Only a man of David's caliber would stand tall after what they did. Kudos to you Hoss. :thumbsup:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I don't necessarily want to open any "old wounds," but I can't help but be curious about what ultimately happened to all the "players" in that scenario.

We know governor what's-his-face is toast.
We know Thurbie is still masquerading as AG.
Cassie seems to have vanished. (probably managing a mobile home park now)
Obviously David is still in our fold... and still computing, and STILL CRUNCHING! (go Dave!) :beer: Obviously it was no picnic for him. They pretty-much fscked up his whole life. Only a man of David's caliber would stand tall after what they did. Kudos to you Hoss. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan and guys, I can't say it's not hard though, I lost my Donna :brokenheart: , she's a Canadian's Donna now.

Also Senator Cleland was toast.
No sign of the GBI Agent Putnam that took 18 months in "investigating" ever again (never did meet him face to face)

Sorry I never finished the book guys. I've tried to find someone that can write and offered that they can have all proceeds from the book. I don't want any money, it is just something that should've been done an in the many languages of those that participated around the world. At least I am maintaining the website.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Dave, there's an old adage...

"Out of every adversity, comes equal or greater benefit."

It's ALWAYS difficult to see when you're in the midst of it. It's only hindsight that is 20/20. You have, and will do significant things. You will find someone that will cause
you to forget about the hurt. It WILL happen, and you will be happy again, and quite
possibly more happy than you ever thought possible.

I did btw apologize to episodic via PM for pissing on, and hijacking his thread. It certainly wasn't my intention... but ended up that way. In any event, I guess he got the answer he was looking for, and has selected his project. :)

All's well that ends well.