why my pc stutters brand new pc with 3080

nihjola

Dec 18, 2022
almost every new game i try and download either it wont run or lags and stutters constantly. games like fortnite, overwatch2, rumbleverse, sackboy big adventure. and many many more.
ive tried everything under the sun to fix it mind you this rig is only a month and a half old custom built it from microcenter. (which they basically said nothings wrong with pc cause they all have no clue what they doing over as far as troubleshooting) ive tried so many things xmp enabled, nothings in power saving mode, disabled all overlay things like gamebar and geforce, tried a fresh DDU, all drivers up to date. some games do work (not many but some) which is why this is very strange and literally no one has been able to figure it out. ive also tried different monitors and resolutions still nothing. frames will like drop to 59 and stutter hard in alot of games

what stutter looks like

my pc specs:
i7-12700k alder lake 3,6ghz
z690 plus tuf gaming motherboard
vengeance rgb pro sl 32gb (2 sticks) ram
rtx 3080 10gb
lian li galahad 360mm rgb water cooler
samsung pro ssd 2tb m.2 drive
corsair 1000 watt 80 plug gold atx

these are my temps from what i am told by a pc friend of mine temp 5 is a broken sensor because it literally jumps from 0c to 115c to 20c literally every few seconds plus nothing feels hot/warm in the computer
these are my temps
gyazo .com/e7ccfbc88fe0c77362810169345839e2

ubm results:
UserBenchmarks: Game 247%, Desk 117%, Work 271%CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K - 117.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 - 214.7%
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 481.1%
RAM: Corsair CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB - 107.3%
MBD: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
What stutter? You were getting 170- 200 fps throughout the video. I didn't notice stuttering or lag.

Anyway, do you have an antivirus running in the background? You had stated that you disabled everything on your system. In my case, I had Malewarebytes running and my games would crash to desktop. Had no idea why? Untiil I disabled Malewwarebytes and that solved my issue. I currently use a program called GameFire. Maybe this can help? It disables background programs/apps when you enable GameFire. And, it will put the disabled program and apps back on when you end Game Fire. You have to manually pick what apps and programs you want disabled while gaming. They have a free version. The more advanced version is about $17 a year. Check it out. Maybe it can help. Or, just use Razor's free program for disabling programs/apps. A lot of people think that these programs are gimmicky and don't work. I disagree and have found them useful.

nihjola

Dec 18, 2022
What stutter? You were getting 170- 200 fps throughout the video. I didn't notice stuttering or lag.

Anyway, do you have an antivirus running in the background? You had stated that you disabled everything on your system. In my case, I had Malewarebytes running and my games would crash to desktop. Had no idea why? Untiil I disabled Malewwarebytes and that solved my issue. I currently use a program called GameFire. Maybe this can help? It disables background programs/apps when you enable GameFire. And, it will put the disabled program and apps back on when you end Game Fire. You have to manually pick what apps and programs you want disabled while gaming. They have a free version. The more advanced version is about $17 a year. Check it out. Maybe it can help. Or, just use Razor's free program for disabling programs/apps. A lot of people think that these programs are gimmicky and don't work. I disagree and have found them useful.

sorry the capture didnt get the stutter good here is a better video of what happens

nihjola

Dec 18, 2022

my frames are dropping to 20 fps this is making me sick i have literally have no idea what the cause is

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Ok, I see it now.

This happens in single player games as well? I believe you said so. Because, I'd check your internet connection. I'm sure that you did this. Like I said earlier, did you check your antivirus. Are you running antivirus? Malewarebytes was a bug issue for me. I have to disable it before I do any type of gaming, or else it crashes my system. Have you tried 3d Mark? What is your score? Steam has a free version. I'd see what kind of score you are getting. Besides that. I'm at a loss. If this is a prebuilt system, have you tried customer support? You siad you called Microcenter. I'd call them back and ask again. You have a very good system. I have a gaming laptop with a gtx 3080 and I get very good frame rates. Good cooling as well. You have adequate ram. Dual Channel I presume. Wow, your FPS drops quickly. Have you tried to lower thee resolution? I play everything in 1080p, with settings on high. I don't care about 3k or ultra settings. I like to give my gaming system more headspace, and don't care to have everything cranked on ultra. Also, gaming laptops get insanely hot when they are pushed too far. I wish I could give you more advice. Maybe someone else can chime in.

nihjola

Dec 18, 2022
Ok, I see it now.

This happens in single player games as well? I believe you said so. Because, I'd check your internet connection. I'm sure that you did this. Like I said earlier, did you check your antivirus. Are you running antivirus? Malewarebytes was a bug issue for me. I have to disable it before I do any type of gaming, or else it crashes my system. Have you tried 3d Mark? What is your score? Steam has a free version. I'd see what kind of score you are getting. Besides that. I'm at a loss. If this is a prebuilt system, have you tried customer support? You said you called Microcenter. I'd call them back and ask again. You have a very good system. I have a gaming laptop with a gtx 3080 and I get very good frame rates. Good cooling as well. You have adequate ram. Dual Channel I presume. Wow, your FPS drops quickly. Have you tried to lower thee resolution? I play everything in 1080p, with settings on high. I don't care about 3k or ultra settings. I like to give my gaming system more headspace, and don't care to have everything cranked on ultra. Also, gaming laptops get insanely hot when they are pushed too far. I wish I could give you more advice. Maybe someone else can chime in.
yes it happens online and offline mostly online though for sure. ive tried running wired and wireless my connection is always showing that its strong and my download speeds are very fast on this pc. i dont have any anti virus on it i literally only have fortinite basically installed since i reinstalled windows a few days ago but this happened across many other games.

this is my cinebench results https://gyazo. com/2c19980e30a675bbaf516573b6fdb7cb

it was custom built by micro center on the 3rd last month they helped me pick all the parts ive brought the system to them twice since i got it both times they told me the system is fine and that issue is software not hardware but all they did was plug in a usb that had a program called pc doctor that looked super outdated but that was showing the pc was performing correctly to them ive tried playing on multiple resolutions and different monitors still lags and frame drops the same

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Did you get it fixed? BTW, have you updated your drivers?

Also, what OS are you on? Win10 or 11? I'm on Win11 and haven't had any issues.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Run MSI Afterburner overlay and check the CPU/GPU clocks when the stuttering occurs, also the temps just incase.

I've had an issue in the past where an extreme fluctuation of the CPU clock speed caused stuttering, it would go really low, then back to maximum which was because of a conflict with the windows power plan and CPU bios settings.

You could try resetting the bios to default and change to high performance power plan in windows.

In the NVIDIA control panel, check the power management mode options, "adaptive", optimal power", and "prefer max performance". I've had no issues with "optimal power".

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
im gonna ask a dumb question...
Because my Niece did this mistake...

Did you plug in your montior directly to the videocard or are you plugged into the rear of the motherboard?
If you don't understand...

Not here:
no.JPG

But plug in your monitor to something that looks like this:
yes.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
im gonna ask a dumb question...
Because my Niece did this mistake...

Did you plug in your montior directly to the videocard or are you plugged into the rear of the motherboard?
If you don't understand...

Not here:
View attachment 73706

But plug in your monitor to something that looks like this:
View attachment 73707
I'm not following. If OP plugged the monitor into the mobo, then he's using the much inferior integrated graphics. How could he still get those high FPS?

I think the issue is probably game itself or drivers. I'd do a clean purge / reinstall of the latest drivers + uninstall/reinstall the game.

OP, is this happening in other 3D / FPS games?