Why multiple SATA controllers?

plancklength

Dec 6, 2008
I've just read the X58 motherboard roundup and I'm curious as to why some motherboards have more than one type of SATA controller.

For instance, the GA-EX58-UD5 has 6 SATA ports via the ICH10R and another 4 SATA ports via the JMB363. Both types of controllers give you RAID, so why have two different options? I realise that the JMB363 give driver-free RAID, but other than that and possibly running out of the 6 ICH10R ports, why the need for an extra controller? Are there any other advantages?

It seems the ICH10R ports are faster according to the benchmarks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes. If you want to run the ICHxR ports as RAID, but want to have the OS boot drive not on a RAID, then you can set up the Jmicron SATA controller in IDE mode, and the ICHxR controller in RAID mode, and then install XP on the OS drive without having to use the F6 driver install (with a floppy drive), and then you can install the ICHxR RAID drivers inside Windows. It's just a lot easier that way. I was very upset when Gigabyte included their "Gigabyte SATA2" controller chip (Really, just a relabled JMB363 controller chip), and did NOT include the extra 2 SATA ports on their X38 DS4 and X48 DS4 motherboards. It didn't help either than the DS5 variety, WITH the extra 2 SATA ports and dual LAN ports, was virtually unavailable in North America.

Thankfully, Gigabyte seems to have realized the error of their ways, because their EP45-UD3R and UD3P both have the extra 2 SATA ports on the Jmicron. So I've decided not to boycott Gigabyte anymore.

plancklength

Dec 6, 2008
Yes. If you want to run the ICHxR ports as RAID, but want to have the OS boot drive not on a RAID, then you can set up the Jmicron SATA controller in IDE mode, and the ICHxR controller in RAID mode, and then install XP on the OS drive without having to use the F6 driver install (with a floppy drive), and then you can install the ICHxR RAID drivers inside Windows.

Thanks for your response.

I'd like to install my OS (probably Vista & Linux and maybe XP as well) on RAID 1 (or RAID 1+0) so I guess I'll have to use the F6 method (on XP at least) and won't need to use the JMB363 ports.

The Keeper

Mar 27, 2007
Don't forget that the extra SATA controller usually if not always also includes 1-2 IDE ports. Without it you can't plug in any IDE devices unless you get some sort of adapter.

Nov 26, 2005
Why don't more boards have this! I have to revert to a add in card making choosing a mobo very difficult. My situation is almost exactly what VLarry described. I have a single boot drive and a single storage drive. The storage drive is then Mirrored or RAID-1 to 2 drives on an add in SATA RAID card in RAID-0. Eventually I'd like to take all 3 of those storage drives which are the exact same drive and put them in a RAID-0 config and have that mirrored to by a single 1.5Tb drive or vice versa... Multiple onboard raid controllers would be fantastic if they were more abundant. As it stands, the Asus P5Q Premium is the only Asus board I know that has this. Then, after all of that and if that is my only option for a board, the slot layout is equally important to my mobo purchase decision. I must have atleast 2 PCI slots open for a NIC card & Sound Card. Don't ask y I am using a add in NIC card, believe me, its a necessity. And as of now, I have a add in PCI 4 port Rosewill RC 209 SATA RAID card that takes up a 3rd slot. Yes, I am in the middle of an upgrade & trying to make through this confusion of which path is most cost effective (minimalizing) for my storage & other needs.