Why McCain Will Win the General Election

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
First off I want to point out that as an outsider looking in, even though I carry libertarian ideals at heart; I think the best thing for the US right now is Democratic leadership to repair some of the failed policies of the current administration. (namely fiscal and foreign policy issues)

Even though I will be cheering on and supporting the Democratic nominee, I think John McCain will win the general election in the fall unless something significantly changes before that time. If you listen to what the Democrats are talking about and you hear the tone they have, and compare that to the tone and reputation the Republicans have you will see that a win will not be as easy as Democrats think.

1) Iraq War. Even though McCain and Bush have the same stance on the Iraq war, when it comes to campaign time; McCain will focus on his history as a respected military man and how he is better able to "fix" Iraq. He will have evidence of pushing for the "surge" well before Bush pushed for it and he will focus on the initial mismanagement rather than the decision to go in or not. The tone will be positive and hopeful rather than the Democrats pessimism who claim that the war is not winnable and will take a defeatist position. While I don't support the war and think an exit strategy is needed for financial reasons, this hope and rally of patriotism will lure a lot of Americans to give McCain a chance to "win" the war. After the amount of money spent there and the fear mongering of a potential chaotic terrorist state; this will really help McCain given the situation.

2) Fiscal Policy. Americans understand the financial situation of the US government and with Democrats pushing for more spending and universal healthcare, I don't think the average middle class independent will support additional spending with an already huge deficit. McCain will flaunt his past initiatives where he has cut government fat and use this to show that he will bring spending restraint to Washington and distance himself from the habits of other Republicans. McCain will run on spending cuts (whether he does it or not is yet to be seen and highly doubtful) and this will look far more attractive than spending increases and increased taxation from the Democrats. Right or wrong politically McCain is on the right side of this issue and more people will be attracted to that message than what the Democrats are offering.

3) Economy. While the Republicans have been poor on spending restraint and may have cut taxes too deeply and perhaps disproportionately; they still have the reputation of being the party best able to handle economic issues. I don't agree with this mindset at all but you will have people like Romney and other business type Republicans on the campaign trail talking in a way that will make people think the Republicans have the best solutions for the American economy. Most voters aren't in tune with macroeconomics or domestic economic policy, but I think they will flock to those who are perceived to understand the issues and I think this favors the Republican brand rather than the Democratic.

4) Bush. Bush is a hugely unpopular president and I think McCain will have enough evidence in the past where he has had significant differences of opinion with Bush; even though in reality these two have very similar positions on almost all issues. McCain is playing his cards right by not pandering to the evangelicals publicly. I think when it comes to election time, social conservatives will look at the Democratic positions on hot button issues and would not vote for them. McCain by not publicly pandering to this group will gain more middle ground (independents) who he already appeals to and he can quietly advertise his true positions on social issues and promise social conservatives judges to invigorate the social conservative voters.

All in all the message carried from McCain will look very attractive, positive and patriotic after it goes through the spin machine and I think the Democratic message will be a stark contrast being negative, defeatist, and less responsible. The Democrats thought they had 2004 in the bag, they were so anxious to get united against Bush, they nominated the guy who won the first primary instead of considering Edwards or Clark (both of whom would have done much better). Also most long and drawn out presidential nominating processes tend to favor the other party. The Democrats are overly confident with their prospects in the fall and really need to change their message, because from what I see...McCain will win.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Please! With #2 & #3, you're showing that you're livin' in the past. Repubs have been pissin' down America's leg, telling them that it's raining for way, way too long. Given the chance to deliver on their promises, they squandered their reputation in an orgy of militarism, fatcat taxcuts, borrowing, and greed. Only the mesmerized are gonna buy it this time around...

It's often not a question of voters wanting the Dems in, but of righteously wanting the Repubs OUT.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Please! With #2 & #3, you're showing that you're livin' in the past. Repubs have been pissin' down America's leg, telling them that it's raining for way, way too long. Given the chance to deliver on their promises, they squandered their reputation in an orgy of militarism, fatcat taxcuts, borrowing, and greed. Only the mesmerized are gonna buy it this time around...

It's often not a question of voters wanting the Dems in, but of righteously wanting the Repubs OUT.
I think you over estimate the intelligence of the average American :laugh:

AnnonUSA

Nov 18, 2007
The Sheeple of America will succumb to their own stupidity and fear in the next election, like those in the past.

I believe there will be a Terrorist Strike on America or on American Interests before the Election. I also believe the price of Gasoline will come down to about $3.00 a gallon before the elections. The republicans will take credit for the drop in Gas Prices, while reinforcing the need for the War on Terror because of the attack. Then by promising a minor Tax credit or Cut to everyone, they will get the sheeple to vote Republican.

People have proven before they are sheep, and can be easily influenced, and this election will be no exception.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Strange.

The Iraq War, Fiscal Policy, Economy, and Bush are the four exact reasons I know McCain and the GOP will lose big in November.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Hispanics will be Obama's bane. Latino culture is more racist than it would like to admit. They simply will not vote for him. In El Centro where a lot of my family is from they tolerate whites but can't stand blacks. In voting booth we've already seen this in primaries. My prediction is asians and latinos, who will vote Republican gets McCain in white house. All that issue stuff could just as easily hurt him as someone already said.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hope springs eternal, eh, Zebo?

Let's say Obama picks Richardson as his running mate... a distinct possibility. What then?

Dari's almost right, except that the confusion lies between repub propaganda and practice- what modern middle class "conservatives" have been sold is just another magic snakeoil elixir... the people pushing it know exactly what's in it...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I went to his website, and he has the rightwing judge thing where he is praising Alito and Roberts are featured very prominently.
It is certainly not helping with independents like myself who want to support him but are taken aback by his current pandering to the right.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Stunt

I think you over estimate the intelligence of the average American :laugh:

AND I THINK YOU GREATLY OVERESTIMATE THEIR CONTINUING STUPIDITY. The election of 11/2006
showed those times had ended. And the republican nomination of McCain in 2008 confirmed it. McCain was merely
the best of a very bad lot of candidates as the GOP ELECTORATE, showed they had not lost touch with reality, While the GOP LEADERSHIP, proved they were totally out of touch with reality. If McCain will not totally break with GWB and very soon, the GWB record will drag McCain down. Had the repubs gone with someone like Chuck Hagel, they would have stood a chance, but McCain will be lame.

Right now McCain gets a pass while the dems fight it out, but when the dems get a nominee, all dem guns will instantly swivel to McCain and he is going to look very much like a deer in the headlights.

A day late, trillions of dollars short, and too old to change.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
McCain might be able to put together a decent sales pitch for the Iraq War, but wars shouldn't need sales pitches. He will lose his credibility by spinning the war, just as Bush did, because when you do that you're toeing a thin line that is very easy to overstep from believable to laughable and eventually the American people stop listening.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We should revist this in November and either laugh at how it was wrong it slash all our wrists if it was right.

Thank God the deck is stacked severel against McCain. He is a republican and they have contributed substantially to fvcking the US' future from an economic standpoint (love those record bugets, Bushie) and also killed its world image and committed it to a war that McCain, in a fortuous moment fit for a 30 second ad, said he's perfectly ok with being part of for 100 years. Backdrop that against his meaningful man-hug with Bush and hopefully there won't be toooo many people who are tricked by simple political spin.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp
I went to his website, and he has the rightwing judge thing where he is praising Alito and Roberts are featured very prominently.
It is certainly not helping with independents like myself who want to support him but are taken aback by his current pandering to the right.

McCain will almost certainly abandon independents to Obama because he needs the RR and businessmen on his side. He has no choice.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
We should revist this in November and either laugh at how it was wrong it slash all our wrists if it was right.

Thank God the deck is stacked severel against McCain. He is a republican and they have contributed substantially to fvcking the US' future from an economic standpoint (love those record bugets, Bushie) and also killed its world image and committed it to a war that McCain, in a fortuous moment fit for a 30 second ad, said he's perfectly ok with being part of for 100 years. Backdrop that against his meaningful man-hug with Bush and hopefully there won't be toooo many people who are tricked by simple political spin.

Ha.. a great smear ad could be put together with this:
http://www.desertratdemocrat.c.../1-mccain_bush_hug.jpg

And the 100 years bit, along with bomb bomb Iran.

and maybe a little bit of
http://www.unconfirmedsources....70716-McCain-Fired.jpg

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Richardson won't help Obama much (might hurt with his boring style) whose race card would get trumped easily by Mel Martinez (state?) who is a hell of a lot more popular than Richardson with Latinos and is hugely popular in Florida, a major swing state.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Lets see:
1) Modern political time record % of people say they are democrat.

2) Clinton and Obama with slight lead vs. McCain in nationwide poll.

3) Approval for top Repubs at all time low. McCain will have a very difficult time separating himself from Bush, even if they did vary slightly on a few topics.

4) Democrats who typically stay home from the polls, now have record turnouts in many states.

5) Democrats have had stong media attention on their topics in almost all states due to this prolonged primary.

6) Statewide polls have Dems at 260 electoral college votes and McCain at 240 votes. There are only 270 votes needed to win, so the dems are almost there. McCain would need a clean sweep of the swing states.

McCain can certainly win. But it is an uphill battle for him.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
If the Democrats had nominated someone like Evan Bayh they would have crushed the Republicans in the fall.

Instead they nominated the most liberal Senator in Washington and someone with a string of extremist friends. If the Dems lose they will have no one to blame but themselves.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't think the election will be nearly as much of a crushing GOP defeat as a lot of democrats say it will... but I still think it's their election to lose, and it's almost a certainty that they're going to increase their margins in the house and senate.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe McCain is just a Traditional Values Liberal.

Liberal is not necessarily a bad word. It use to indicate a person who cared about other people based on their strong traditional American values.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
If the Democrats had nominated someone like Evan Bayh they would have crushed the Republicans in the fall.

Instead they nominated the most liberal Senator in Washington and someone with a string of extremist friends. If the Dems lose they will have no one to blame but themselves.

Pro-Jo, are you starting to believe your own propaganda? The whole rating system for what makes someone 'the most liberal senator' is so hilariously flawed that it's worthless. This same system put Ron Paul as only the 178th most conservative member of the House. You can't possibly think that's accurate can you?

I don't blame you for wanting to find some good news as to why your guy has a chance of winning, but this is pretty meager, and lets be honest... McCain doesn't have a very good chance.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Never underestimate the democrats ability to blow it. I repeat, never underestimate the democrats ability to blow it.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Hope springs eternal, eh, Zebo?

Let's say Obama picks Richardson as his running mate... a distinct possibility. What then?

Dari's almost right, except that the confusion lies between repub propaganda and practice- what modern middle class "conservatives" have been sold is just another magic snakeoil elixir... the people pushing it know exactly what's in it...

On that note... I think that Richardson would be the best vice president pairing for Obama both for vote getting in the election and for actually doing the job of VP.

Richardson was actually my personal favorite amongst the democratic candidates... he seemed to be an experienced, intelligent, and level-headed man.

But let's be honest... I don't necessarily think that Richardson would help win more crucial states that Obama wouldn't already carry anyhow ( I could be wrong, of course). Obama will carry CA and NY regardless of his appeal to Hispanics. Would a large Hispanic turn out help Obama in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Florida or other states with high Hispanic populations? I don't know.