Why it seems to be very little hope for the upcoming consoles PlayStation/Xbox

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
What are some examples of these specific types of "PC games" that came out in 2019?
this isn't just a reply to you but to most of the other replies on this 'here thread.

I don't know, or can't think of, any 2019 specific games (well, Paranoia, but that's not my point) games but i will give you similar example - that i have used before - which should work just as well.
Take Gears of War and God Of War - two very successful and popular console games. One is a XB game the other a PS game.
Neither of these games is in any way challenging, or particularly interesting from a gameplay point of view; lots of button mashing, repetitive action. You'll hardly ever lose a fight. Attack monster, massacre monster, repeat. Duck behind cover, shoot. They are, on paper, boring and repetitive.

But when you sit away from the screen, relaxed on a couch with a bowl of popcorn, and you take in the SPECTACLE, the explosions, firefights, magic effects, the creature and set design, colors, voice acting, the rumble of the music (which, as you would know from the other thread, most serious PC players keep off), it becomes another experience entirely.

The playing with- aspect, intended as "manipulating the software through the interface", as in "toying with" becomes secondary to the overall experience.

Instead, take, idk, a game like Quake Champions. A PROPER PC game. Music off, settings maximised for visual clarity, every aspect of the UI tuned to grab every last bit of efficiency. Buy better broadband, get a mechanical keyboard, find the perfect mousemat, i won't even go into Windows tweaks. Every millisecond counts. Fun, does not count. Winning counts.

There is a vast difference between how a PC player approaches a PC game and how a console player approaches a console game. There can be some overlap, and obviously both machines are capable of replacing the other - partially - in their role, because, well, they are both the same thing. A console *is* a PC. A console was a PC even back in the PS1 days. It was a crap PC, but it was still a computer-machine-thing, it takes data and player input and does colors on a screen. It's not a toaster, it's not a chair, it's not a lawnmower, it's a computer.

And for the same reason you can make your PC experience into a console experience; you can buy a steering wheel or even the whole cabinet contraption, blast music from the speakers, plug it into a TV six feet away, and at that point it doesn't really matter what the branding is on the hardware running the game.

Now, games, they can be more suited to console or to PC.

Make a game with a bold, bright, easily readable UI, and you are making a console game. Make a UI with a ton of tiny stats everywhere and you got a PC game. Write tons of tiny scrolling text = PC game. Make loud, brash voice acting = console game.
Big sparkly explosions = console. Clean, sharp visuals = PC.

Of course there is some overlap, and you totally can have a visual-diarrhea PC game if you want, but most PC games tend to be (and tend to do well when they are) as described, and vice versa. And, you know, they are the same thing, so if you want you can run a console game on PC and a PC game on console. You can even have a PC to run console games and a PC to run PC games.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The lines are becoming blurred. More and more PC gamers are trading up to large C9 OLEDs for the variable refresh rate and peerless picture quality.
When all the larger monitors that are actually decent quality coming out are $1500+ it's hard to justify not just going all in on the OLED tv. And with a 48" out this year it's only going to get worse.