Why It Ain't Playing Audio in .webm video file?

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I have a software that enables me to download video files from youtube. 4K HD videos I have problem with. It downloads the file but shows file extension .webm instead of mp4. My Media Player Classic wouldn't play so I renamed the file to .mp4 and it plays the video but no audio. This issue only happens when I download 4K videos. But the Quad HD (1440p) downloads are fine they show up as mp4 and plays video audio no problem. Why am I getting webm file on these 4K videos from youtube? I tried installing WebmM DirectShow Filters package for my Media Player Classic and that made zero difference. I tried different versions (both old and the latest) player software. I tried playing off Firefox web browser it plays video but no audio (same symptom as I get with my Media Player Classic). I tried installing the extension add-on "HTML5 Video Everywhere" that made zero difference. No matter what I tried I get no audio from webm file, period. Anyone able to play these files with audio successfully? Maybe it's operating system related? I don't know. I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Help please

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
what software are you downloading with?

you need a converter to go from one file type to the other
(maybe handbrake?)

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I use Wondershare AllMyTube software for my PC. I contacted their support last night and they gave me a reply with a link to download their converter software that's designed for converting webm to mp4 but no audio when I play the file. They didn't seem to have answer why the file is created as webm when the download completes.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i used one called 4kdownload to grab some youtube vids
it lets you pic the rez, and saves as mpeg4's

dont have a link

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
hehe, because youtube does not stream audio with the video stream on 4k files. For compatibility reasons it offers mp4 streams from SD to 720p that include the audio data. however for up to date devices like chrome browsers and chromecast, the youtube player is playing the audio stream from a standalone stream, and then video from what ever stream it is choosing to play. That way one video only needs 1 audio stream and it can toggle between video stream qualities without the chance of the audio skipping a beat.

The side effect is you can only rip youtube videos with audio up to 720p, ripping 1080p and 4k requires you to manually combine the audio.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
JeffMD - I didn't need to do any of that. With my software it works fine up to 1440p with video and audio fully working. But 2160p it won't give me audio. Downloading youtube videos from 480p all the way to 1440p gives me mp4 file extension but when I download 2160p it's webm file. It looks as if the software fails to complete the file when the video is downloaded. It leaves with a webm file instead of mp4., is what I'm guessing. It worked fine a year or two ago I used to get audio from 2160p file but then it was a different youtube channel. It's strange that the tech support at Wondershare AllMyTube seem to have no idea why I get this.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Cheez.. you say you didnt need to do any of that.. but you DO. So you are using software that is automatically downloading the video and audio stream and merging it, but for some reason it is not doing this for the case of the 2160p stream. This is entirely up to what ever software package you are using. It could need an update. It could be a piece of crap.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
The software does have option for me to download mp3 file from the youtube video. So I downloaded the mp3 and 2160p .webm file and used my Media Player Classic to open those two files and play simultaneously. I can play the video with sound now.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Oh and JeffMD, thank for your help on this. your explanation about how youtube works with streaming mp3 and video file. You gave me idea on what to do to try to revolve this matter and it worked. Thanks.

cheez