Why isn't parents who smoke a form of child abuse?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
When parents smoke they expose their children to secondhand smoke which has been proven to cause cancer, asthma, and respiratory infections. Quoting the American Lung Association,

"Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 1,900 to 2,700 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually."

So tell me how this is not a form of child abuse? If you are ignorant enough to smoke these days and even worse, expose children to your smoking, then I say that is a form of child abuse and appropriate action should be taken.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Oh, and I love how people think they have a right to smoke whenever and wherever they please. It's the addiction talking. They don't realize that some people find it very offensive, sickening, and often dangerous to be exposed to the stuff.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Oh, and I love how people think they have a right to smoke whenever and wherever they please. It's the addiction talking. They don't realize that some people find it very offensive, sickening, and often dangerous to be exposed to the stuff.

good call

Axoliien

Mar 6, 2002
Aye, it should be. My mom smoked 2 packs a day for the last 10 years before I moved out, and it was horrible. I couldn't get away from it, so I always stayed outside or at a friend's house until I absolutely had to go home. If she had been forcing me to drink alcohol or take other drugs it would be illegal, but this wasn't? I agree with you guys.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's no more child abuse than parents who stuff their kids with McDonalds greaseburgers five times per week.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't smoke, and i can't stand being around smokers..

but, we've already made WAY to many compromises of our freedom, in the name of safety and/or health.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Tom

but, we've already made WAY to many compromises of our freedom, in the name of safety and/or health.

A voice of reason speaks up only to soon be shouted down.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
It's like the state telling me I have to buy booster seats for all of my kids till age 8. The government is not here to meddle in everything we do and every part of our lives. How long till we have to be lisenced to even have children?

That said I think it's dispicable when a mom drops her kid off at school and smoke billows out of the car. The kids shouldn't be exposed to that.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Feldenak

Thats because ATOT, dispite what many claim, is a bunch of nannies. Heaven forbid personal freedom ever exist in the ATOT world.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

The freedom analysis fails here: my right to swing my arm in the air stops at your face. My freedom from carcinogenic airborne toxins trumps somebody's freedom to service their addiction wherever they please.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It's no more child abuse than parents who stuff their kids with McDonalds greaseburgers five times per week.

Its not illegal to consume a mcdonalds greaseburger under the age of 18.

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006

I am a 24 year old pack a day smoker, do I know the health risks? Yeah I do. Do I know that its an addiction? Yep, sure do. Do I agree with smoking around kids? Nope, because it is dangerous.

Now for you smacktards that wanna give smokers crap about smoking in their own homes, or in their cars, or walking down the side of the street, you need to wake up. You exercise the right to "not smoke". I exercise my right "to smoke". If I am in an area where others are forced to be near me that don't like smoking I refrain out of respect. Anywhere else if I want to I will, if you don't like it...walk away. I don't blow it in anyones face. But to agree with the OP smoking around kids is irresponsible and dangerous.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: FallenHero

Thats because ATOT, dispite what many claim, is a bunch of nannies. Heaven forbid personal freedom ever exist in the ATOT world.

your personal freedom stops when it affects someone else.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sao123

That is a valid argument for regulating smoking around children. If they deem it a big enough problem for children not to be able to consume it themselves why should it be legal to allow adults to give it to them second hand?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

And in other news that has no relation to the topic at hand, General Franco Francissimo is still dead.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

Aye.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000

And in other news that has no relation to the topic at hand, General Franco Francissimo is still dead.

Sure it does, read my post above.

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006

your personal freedom stops when it affects someone else.

If my neighbor plants trees all over his yard that I am allergic too, is that an affront to my personal freedom? Or should he rip them up? Or maybe if he covers his yard in harmful pesticides that become airborne and I breathe them....Again is it his personal right to landscape his yard even though It affects me negatively. It sure as hell is.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
good call. I should especially be illegal to smoke during pregnancy.
It should be illegal to breathe polluted air during pregnancy too, or drink anything but distilled water, or drive cars. And really, most homes are swarming with bacteria and chemicals, so the State should also require them to report to a sterile, secure Prenatal Facility for the duration of their pregnancy, where they will be immobilized in nice clean stalls and fed through IV's.

Of course, once the child is born it'd be senseless to send it home to risk exposure to nasty sloppy parents with their smoking and their drinking and their germs and their foul language - so children will immediately be sent to Federal Child Non-Endangerment Facilities where they will be immbilized in nice clean stalls and fed through IV's until age 18.

I know that might sound extreme to some, but we MUST THINK of the CHILDREN.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Crucial

Sure it does, read my post above.

So... do you think it should be illegal for children under the age of 18 to be anywhere they might end up being exposed to second-hand smoke?