Question Why isnt my keyboard getting power from my motherboard?

TheToxikOne

Oct 22, 2020
Hello. So i just completed building my pc and I'm trying to connect my keyboard so I can enter BIOS, install windows, etc, but when I plug my USB keyboard into the motherboard it does not turn on. Ive tried all the USB ports and its not working. I have a MSI Z390-A pro motherboard if that helps.
Note: I have tried holding the power button but all that does is turn on the pc, then back off.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Clear CMOS? (power down, unplug pc, move jumper or install jumper, wait a couple of seconds, move jumper back or remove jumper, plug in, turn on), mash DEL or F2 repeatedly.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Just checking the obvious..is the keyboard known to be good? Is there another keyboard you could try?

Reactions: damian101

TheToxikOne

Oct 22, 2020
Clear CMOS? (power down, unplug pc, move jumper or install jumper, wait a couple of seconds, move jumper back or remove jumper, plug in, turn on), mash DEL or F2 repeatedly.

i mashed DEL and now my keyboard is on! not letting me enter BIOS though. my manual says to press delete to get into bios but its not letting me :/

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does it try to POST (display BIOS screens) without the keyboard plugged in? Perhaps the problem is with the PC, and not the keyboard if it was working with another PC.

TheToxikOne

Oct 22, 2020
yes, my monitor is directly connected to my pc with a DP. my DP cable locks when it is inserted correctly, so I don't belive it to be a problem with the display port. i have tried unplugging, and plugging my display port back in but it still says no signal
btw thank you for your time

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Try HDMI, just for testing. Or get a VESA-compliant DP cable, like an ACCEL off of Amazon.

Your problem seems to be the DP cable that you're using.

(More info: Certain - cheaper - DP cables pass +5V where they shouldn't. USB is also tied to the mobo's +5V line. So sometimes there can be bad interactions.)

This doesn't necessarily apply if your build is bad and simply isn't POSTing.

Last edited:

TheToxikOne

Oct 22, 2020
(More info: Certain - cheaper - DP cables pass +5V where they shouldn't. USB is also tied to the mobo's +5V line. So sometimes there can be bad interactions.)
[/QUOTE]

wait, my motherboard doesn't have a HDMI hub. crap

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you using onboard video, or are you using a graphics card? I don't know what an "HDMI Hub" is. Did you mean to say "HDMI port"? I've never seen a video card with DP and no HDMI, save for the special "Eyefinity" AMD cards that had six mini-DP ports on it.

Edit: Oh, ok, your mobo has DP, DVI-D (instead of HDMI), and VGA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

TheToxikOne

Oct 22, 2020
Are you using onboard video, or are you using a graphics card? I don't know what an "HDMI Hub" is. Did you mean to say "HDMI port"? I've never seen a video card with DP and no HDMI, save for the special "Eyefinity" AMD cards that had six mini-DP ports on it.

yea in meant to say hdmi hub. I'm new to this stuff. I'm using a graphics card in my pc. i have now found the correct port. its now working. mustve been the cable. thank you so much for your helpppp