Why isn't Multi level marketing illegal?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just finished watching this video about MLM by Rachel Oats warning people not to get involved in making money for MLM companies instead of themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gfBO9sqpc

I quickly figured out that MLM is a just legalized scam that is only legal due to various loopholes in my late teens after several attempts to hook and reel me in.

Trying to earning a living or make money by MLM only works for those at the top, while almost everyone else ends up making less then minimal wage and heavily in debt. And ruin close relationships on top of that.

Not only should governments close these legal loopholes but do an outright ban of Multi level Marketing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Because pyramid schemes are illegal. All you need to do is change your pyramid scheme to something called MLM, refuse to acknowledge that it is the same thing, especially after you describe your model as, exactly, a pyramid scheme. It's even in the fricking name.

But other than that, I have no idea.

Reactions: soulcougher73

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I just finished watching this video about MLM by Rachel Oats warning people not to get involved in making money for MLM companies instead of themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gfBO9sqpc

I quickly figured out that MLM is a just legalized scam that is only legal due to various loopholes in my late teens after several attempts to hook and reel me in.

Trying to earning a living or make money by MLM only works for those at the top, while almost everyone else ends up making less then minimal wage and heavily in debt. And ruin close relationships on top of that.

Not only should governments close these legal loopholes but do an outright ban of Multi level Marketing.
Because we have, especially now, buyer beware capitalism.

Reactions: MagnusTheBrewer

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Don't listen to idiots that say this is capitalism or any other ism.

MLM is legal because its right on the line legally. For MLM to be legal, you have to be able to make money beyond recruiting people. Technically, you could make money by selling a product, and many actually do in some systems. That is what makes it legal.

I'm assuming someone is trying to get you into one. Don't do it. Find something that has more structure. Avoid sales positions as its too erratic for your situation.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

MLM is legal because its right on the line legally. For MLM to be legal, you have to be able to make money beyond recruiting people. Technically, you could make money by selling a product, and many actually do in some systems. That is what makes it legal.

I'm assuming someone is trying to get you into one. Don't do it. Find something that has more structure. Avoid sales positions as its too erratic for your situation.

I've always thought that if MLM were explicitly made illegal, that then many religious institutions would suddenly be on shaky ground, lol. Scientology is certainly right out, then maybe it snowballs from there.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

No one as yet is trying do as such but I watch Rachel Oats YouTube channel from time to time.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've always thought that if MLM were explicitly made illegal, that then many religious institutions would suddenly be on shaky ground, lol. Scientology is certainly right out, then maybe it snowballs from there.

That might very well be true, and if it were to happen then that is pro.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Religious institutions should be held just as accountable for their actions just like everyone is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That might very well be true, and if it were to happen then that is pro.

Something tells me that has been the "hidden" argument behind a lot of pro-lawyering at the federal level, that has struggled to keep these scams semi-legal, if only because of the shit-storm that necessarily-detailed legal speak would unleash under such a statute.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Something tells me that has been the "hidden" argument behind a lot of pro-lawyering at the federal level, that has struggled to keep these scams semi-legal, if only because of the shit-storm that necessarily-detailed legal speak would unleash under such a statute.

I mean, it still goes back to money. Many "churches" like Scientology are about money and power anyway.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Mainly because of religion. The vast majority of MLMs are tied to religions. The minute they are under scrutiny, they scream religious intolerance! That, and MLMs are literally cults.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wonder if state or local governments started warning people about those legal scams the Feds will tell them to stop?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Mainly because of religion. The vast majority of MLMs are tied to religions. The minute they are under scrutiny, they scream religious intolerance! That, and MLMs are literally cults.
I have noticed MLM schemes are provident among fundies.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Separating fools and money is a social positive. It means that fools have fewer resources to allocate foolishly.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Separating fools and money is a social positive. It means that fools have fewer resources to allocate foolishly.
No it is not. It also means that said fools have less money to meet basic needs, and by being salespeople for MLMs, ruin social relationships as well.

baydude

Sep 13, 2011
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-MLM-companies-legal-Shouldn’t-they-be-illegal-since-they’re-an-incarnation-of-the-pyramid-scheme

In 1979 a landmark case, FTC vs Amway, concluded that multi-level marketing (MLM), now more commonly called network marketing or direct sales, was a legitimate business opportunity and not a pyramid scheme.

Other relevant info in that page-

This should probably be in a different thread or one by itself but Quora is the worst place to get unbiased answers as everyone responding either has a personal motive, self interest, or trying to sell something in the form of giving the most “informative and researched” advice. You should check out some of the questions related to crypto currency.