why isn't foot controllers ever used in modern gaming?

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
i was thinking about my music production experience and foot controllers are used. Wondering why gamers don't use their feet for some extra control. any answers?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Show me a game that supports third-party input as well as mouse and keyboard on top of a company that makes foot-controlled buttons.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
There are quite a few different foot controllers designed specifically for auto racing games, where it makes sense to have them emulate the gas/brake/clutch pedals. I can't think of any other game genre where foot pedals would make sense..

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Pedals are widely used in racing games along with steering wheels. If you already have such a foot control device and want to use it in other unsupported games, eg, as an extra 1-2 "buttons", is it not possible to use software like Girder / EventGhost, etc, or whatever came with the pedal to get the pedal to mimic a keystroke of 1-2 typically unused keys (say "J/K"), in the same way xpadder can act like a 'controller to keyb + mouse simulator', and then map the mimicked key in the game itself as a regular key bind?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I remember some guy a while ago that did use a couple of foot switches for boxing multiple copies of WoW

Punter

Jul 21, 2006
Some people use a foot switch for push-to-talk. I shift myself around a lot so it would never work for me.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
There are quite a few different foot controllers designed specifically for auto racing games, where it makes sense to have them emulate the gas/brake/clutch pedals. I can't think of any other game genre where foot pedals would make sense..
There are also flight simulator pedals as well, but I'm not aware of anything outside those two either.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
cost vs usefulness probably.

other than racing or flight sim type games, i can't think of anything where I thought "damn, i could really use a foot control!"

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
Back before they fixed the insanely large turning radius of Geralt in Witcher 3, I was thinking of hooking up my Logitech G27 and driving him around with the wheel, and using accelerate to go forward and brake to go backwards. They ended up fixing his movement somewhat so I never bothered, but I thought that would be pretty funny to be driving Tank-Geralt around. Oh, and maybe use the clutch to jump or dodge or something.