why isn't factcheck.org cited more?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
in my opinion, that is the only place where i can get straight answers on policies. I think that fact check should have commercials on tv to their website so people can see how many half-truths/ blatant lies (eg. omg obama will raise everyones taxes!!!!11) there are during political commercials.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I cite factcheck.org constantly. Know what's funny though? Now the right wingers on here are saying that even factcheck.org is biased. hahaha

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I cite factcheck.org constantly. Know what's funny though? Now the right wingers on here are saying that even factcheck.org is biased. hahaha

Well, it certainly isn't as perfect as some of you would like to portray it as. There are many problems with factcheck and those have been pointed out by both the left and the right.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Well, it certainly isn't as perfect as some of you would like to portray it as. There are many problems with factcheck and those have been pointed out by both the left and the right.

Such as? No site is perfect, but they get it much much better than most. In addition when they are challenged on something they publically state it on the page and then post the results of their re-evaluation. That is the hallmark of a trustworthy source.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
factcheck gets it better than most of the left or right wing hackery sites, but it's by no means perfect, and I would not base my opinion on something/someone based on what factcheck has to say about it.

OP's own example ("obama will raise everyones taxes") is a good one. Obama's plan might not include huge tax increases for everyone, but the reality is that everyone knows that once in office it will be impossible for the congress and president to resist spending all sorts of money, which someone will have to pay for. The first 6 years of Bush is an example of this.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Well, factcheck just don't support the biased opinions thrown out around here.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

Such as? No site is perfect, but they get it much much better than most. In addition when they are challenged on something they publically state it on the page and then post the results of their re-evaluation. That is the hallmark of a trustworthy source.

i think the only way to keep our politics *more* honest (haha yeah right) is to have these neutral organizations advertise on TV during campaigns, to get idiots who buy into all the FUD commercials to see what the true policies are. that could open up a can of worms with many fake organizations claiming to be fair and balanced to also advertise though...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: evident
in my opinion, that is the only place where i can get straight answers on policies. I think that fact check should have commercials on tv to their website so people can see how many half-truths/ blatant lies (eg. omg obama will raise everyones taxes!!!!11) there are during political commercials.

Who owns this "Fact check" organization?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

The directors are/were "journalists".

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

FactCheck.org is a nonprofit website[1] that describes its own goal as "[reducing] the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics". In its efforts, FactCheck claims to be nonpartisan.[2] It is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, and is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.[2]

Most of its content consists of rebuttals to allegedly inaccurate, misleading, or false claims by politicians. FactCheck has also targeted the misleading claims from various partisan groups.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

FactCheck.org is a nonprofit website[1] that describes its own goal as "[reducing] the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics". In its efforts, FactCheck claims to be nonpartisan.[2] It is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, and is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.[2]

Most of its content consists of rebuttals to allegedly inaccurate, misleading, or false claims by politicians. FactCheck has also targeted the misleading claims from various partisan groups.

yep, it's a academic org who's directors are/were "journalists".

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

oh ok, so i should never go to that site again. maybe i should listen to all your opinions instead? where else can i find facts?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

oh ok, so i should never go to that site again. maybe i should listen to all your opinions instead? where else can i find facts?

uhh... where did i suggest people not go to the site and/or instead listen to my opinions?

please learn to read what people post...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This has come up here several times before. People want to accuse factcheck.org of being biased somehow, but when asked for an example of said bias they mysteriously disappear. Whatever helps people maintain their worldview I guess.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
factcheck.org biased???

I'd like to see an example of that. I won't hold my breath though.

Really people, don't blame others for your own morals/values/positions. If you don't like where your "team" stands on the issues, don't blame others for it. Or dont make excuses. Or dont apologize. or don't ignore it.

Obama fvcked up on the FISA bill. I don't apologize for him on it. I don't call factcheck.org "biased" because of it. I don't turn my back towards reality. He fvcked up, its right there in black and white, and I don't agree with Obama on it.

some of you people need to own up! for fvcks sake!! :)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Factcheck is by far the most independent, clear eyed political site on the web. The people running it and writing for it are human and therefore have opinions, but the articles on the site itself espouse no political agenda, take no stand on any issue, do not in any way advocate for either candidate, and criticise the outlandish claims of both. All articles are meticulously footnoted and cited, campaigns are directly contacted and given a chance to explain or clarify whatever claim or statistic they made that is at issue.

I find it seriously disconcerting that people call it into question, not based on errors which any human can and does make, but on amorphous unsubstantiated claims and innuendo about political affiliations which anyone can make, no better than conspiracy theories.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A fool convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. Facts mean nothing to the decided mind. First there is the bigot and his opinion and facts are what back that up.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
it's pretty sickening how many mccain ads are misleading and flat out wrong on obama. also, it seems like they are contradicting themselves continuously.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

BINGO. You can see the liberal/left leanings in their writing. Just look at who' on it. I've heard these douchebags speak - very hard core liberal.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07

BINGO. You can see the liberal/left leanings in their writing. Just look at whose on it. I've heard this douchebags speak - very hard core liberal.

So you will have no problem providing examples and proof of their bias then, right? I'll be waiting.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
it's pretty sickening how many mccain ads are misleading and flat out wrong on obama. also, it seems like they are contradicting themselves continuously.
And of course Obama is not doing anything misleading at all right??

I mean we all know that electing McCain is the same as election Bush because they agree on everything and always have. What I am hearing is that McCain will actually let Bush stay in the White House and run things for him. :roll:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

BINGO. You can see the liberal/left leanings in their writing. Just look at whose on it. I've heard this douchebags speak - very hard core liberal.

So you will have no problem providing examples and proof of their bias then, right? I'll be waiting.

Everytime you cite them I see it. All you have to do is not be a hard core liberal to see it. What's worse is actually hearing them talk, they'll make a jab a mccain and do the little liberal giggle.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
And of course Obama is not doing anything misleading at all right??

I mean we all know that electing McCain is the same as election Bush because they agree on everything and always have. What I am hearing is that McCain will actually let Bush stay in the White House and run things for him. :roll:

no, the site points out the misleading obama quotes too. but mccain is doing it way more in his commercials especially about the tax thing, which i see all the damn time and it pisses me off because they are flat out lies. look at obama's tax policy on his website

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

Everytime you cite them I see it. All you have to do is not be a hard core liberal to see it.

im not a hardcore liberal. i am a conservative leaning moderate and i see flat out lies coming out of the R camp right now

im trying to get the goddamn facts about the candidates straight and what their proposals are. his commercials are completely misleading and he is putting nothing on the table but FUD as far as i can see. obama does have problems too he may be loquacious but he's not running ads that are complete lies (but maybe half-truths) about mccain. does that make him better? i dont know, but don't tell me that this site doesn't call out obama too.