Question Why is this, that Apple just gives 5 GB of iCloud storage?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Thanks, bro for your precious time.
Why doesn't everyone give you more of everything, for free?

Our society has decided that does not work, that you must earn money by contributing to society in a way valuable enough to others that they compensate you, then likewise you spend that compensation to attain something valuable to you.

There is also charity, where you are at the mercy of others to give you something you did not earn, and they, not you, decide how much they give. Because reasons. You are not entitled to reasons when you are denied receiving something for free, unless there is an injustice because you are being discriminated against, while everyone else is receiving more than you, for free.

Consider this real world example. Go to McDonalds, and ask for their free french fries. You will be denied. Next, buy a happy meal and they will throw in some french fries. Next, ask them why they did not give you more french fries. Next, tell them please don't talk because you don't like their answer. Next, post a video of that on youtube and give us a link. ;)

kingrobert

Jul 7, 2022
Why doesn't everyone give you more of everything, for free?

Our society has decided that does not work, that you must earn money by contributing to society in a way valuable enough to others that they compensate you, then likewise you spend that compensation to attain something valuable to you.

There is also charity, where you are at the mercy of others to give you something you did not earn, and they, not you, decide how much they give. Because reasons. You are not entitled to reasons when you are denied receiving something for free, unless there is an injustice because you are being discriminated against, while everyone else is receiving more than you, for free.

Consider this real world example. Go to McDonalds, and ask for their free french fries. You will be denied. Next, buy a happy meal and they will throw in some french fries. Next, ask them why they did not give you more french fries. Next, tell them please don't talk because you don't like their answer. Next, post a video of that on youtube and give us a link. ;)
You are very true, and by the way, you have given a good example.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
Office 365 is a fair bargain for the 1 TB personal storage (assuming you also need/could use Office or even maybe if not)

The OneDrive app for iOS can automatically backup photo, video including support for viewing live photos from the web browser of a PC which is nice.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Because they want you to buy additional storage so they offer only a small token amount for free to get you started, the same as every cloud storage service.

The difference is that Apple is particularly stingy. Google, Microsoft and others typically offer 15GB for free. It's a bit ridiculous to have offered 5GB for many years when even last year's iPhone 13 mini has 128GB of storage. I'm not expecting Apple to offer enough space to completely back up a phone, but it'd be nice to have enough to comfortably back up some must-have files and photos on top of core device profiles and settings.

You'd think Apple would be more comfortable with a storage increase given that iCloud storage isn't really a major source of service revenue for the company these days. Apple Music probably generates more revenue in a month than iCloud does all year.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
The difference is that Apple is particularly stingy. Google, Microsoft and others typically offer 15GB for free. It's a bit ridiculous to have offered 5GB for many years when even last year's iPhone 13 mini has 128GB of storage. I'm not expecting Apple to offer enough space to completely back up a phone, but it'd be nice to have enough to comfortably back up some must-have files and photos on top of core device profiles and settings.

You'd think Apple would be more comfortable with a storage increase given that iCloud storage isn't really a major source of service revenue for the company these days. Apple Music probably generates more revenue in a month than iCloud does all year.
My iPhone backup is 1.99gb, but that’s excluding photos and messages. But I don’t think many people would get far with 15gb either.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
My iPhone backup is 1.99gb, but that’s excluding photos and messages. But I don’t think many people would get far with 15gb either.

That 15GB could let more people back up their messages and have more basic functionality beyond backups. I know the 5GB isn't completely useless, but it's weirdly low and not very competitive.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
That 15GB could let more people back up their messages and have more basic functionality beyond backups. I know the 5GB isn't completely useless, but it's weirdly low and not very competitive.
More storage will always let people do more things. Why not 50gb, 100gb, 1tb free?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
More storage will always let people do more things. Why not 50gb, 100gb, 1tb free?

C'mon. You know there's a middle ground between that and what Apple is offering now. Apple could offer more breathing room while still giving people a strong incentive to pay for iCloud.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
C'mon. You know there's a middle ground between that and what Apple is offering now. Apple could offer more breathing room while still giving people a strong incentive to pay for iCloud.

Absolutely, but depending on whose opinion you seek you will get a lot of different answers. Apple has to pick some amount.

It would be interesting to see the conversion rate between free and paid plans across the board.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Absolutely, but depending on whose opinion you seek you will get a lot of different answers. Apple has to pick some amount.

It would be interesting to see the conversion rate between free and paid plans across the board.
Yeah but Apple still thinks it's 2010. 5gb is nothing today. All others give at least 15gb. Even samsung. I pay for 100gb from Google because I keep all my texts and those alone are over 5gb. And those 100gb cost pretty much nothing as I pay with online money from Google opinions.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Yeah but Apple still thinks it's 2010. 5gb is nothing today. All others give at least 15gb. Even samsung. I pay for 100gb from Google because I keep all my texts and those alone are over 5gb. And those 100gb cost pretty much nothing as I pay with online money from Google opinions.

15gb is nothing today. But that’s kinda the point, none of them give you anything like enough to be useful because they all want you to pay to upgrade. That’s why they are all pitiful amounts of free storage.

Luckily they are all as cheap as chips to upgrade.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I use office 365 family up to 6x1TB $99/year, atm it is just me and my wife who uses it, but it ensures all our documents/photos are regularly backed up into the cloud and we can use office. Also nice for sharing photos with family.

(I also do backups to an external HDD a couple of times every year)