Why is the world set up with the hours it is?

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I work 9am-7pm generally (weekdays).

When I come out of work, everything has already closed by 6pm, with the exception of restaurants.

I needed to book an optometrist and dentist appointment and -- surprise surprise -- the only day I can do it is Saturday. It took me 3 hours of phone calls to find places that were open on Saturdays which weren't ghetto.

If I want to go shopping on the weekend, I have to do it on Saturday because on Sunday stores are only open 4 hours.

Bars close at midnight, and so does the subway.

Do you have issues with timing like this? Why can retail places not open from like 10am-8pm everyday?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's pretty simple - if the retailers and other places had enough business to merit longer hours, they would certainly have longer hours. Apparently where you live there is not enough demand.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I think it's pretty simple - if the retailers and other places had enough business to merit longer hours, they would certainly have longer hours. Apparently where you live there is not enough demand.

I live in a city of 12 million people, how is there not enough demand?

I think actually it's because British people are weird -- Sunday shopping is still frowned upon.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
It's called taking a day off to do the things you need to do. That's why a lot o jobs have sick leave and vacation leave setup for that very purpose. Or at least that's how I used mine back when I was working for huge company.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
You need to figure out a way to get your business done during business hours, I guess.

Take time off or plan your Saturdays accordingly.

MotionMan

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I read article somewhere that 9 - 5 , 40 hour work week in U. S. is a vestige of what factories demanded when U. S. had a lot of manufacturing.

Other businesses obviously have to balance sout their store hours so customers can get there when it is convenient, but it is still profitable for them.

I think Europe shifted away (or never had?) that previous 40 hour work week paradigm as basis for everyone's normal work hours.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I live in a city of 12 million people, how is there not enough demand?

I think actually it's because British people are weird -- Sunday shopping is still frowned upon.

Yeah sunday trading hours suck balls, It's one of the things I hate about England.

Also.

British people aren't weird.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Damn Europe must be quite a bit different about store hours.

Most population-dense regions in the U.S. have retail store hours through 9 or 10pm weekdays and Saturday (might closer slightly earlier on Saturday, might not).

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
I wish they would make everybody work 7 days a week so we can weed out all the losers and build a better gene pool.

this from the guy named 'baked'
hmmm....
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
amazon.com

I do have an Amazon Prime subscription -- it is a lifesaver getting stuffed with free next-day delivery to the office.

I guess another good thing is I can do grocery shopping online.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
I believe the wife is supposed to go out shopping while the husband is at work. At least, that's how it worked back in the 70's, I don't think anyone has thought to adjust the system since then.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Work normal hours. I work 7AM-4PM and the highways are crowded in the morning so I assume so do many others. I can do a bunch of shopping after work and still be home before 6PM.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
I believe the wife is supposed to go out shopping while the husband is at work. At least, that's how it worked back in the 70's, I don't think anyone has thought to adjust the system since then.

or you have servants to do it for you while you are at work
or you have a personal assistant/secretary at work to do it for you while you are at work
or you take a 2 hour lunch and do it yourself while you are at work

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
There is no such thing as normal hours anymore. Have you looked at some jobs these days?

A friend got a job in an automotive related field dealing with dealers. They had told him in the first interview that NO vacation days in the first year and NO scheduled days off other than emergencies. 3 sick days for the whole year. 25K a year salary 6 days a week.

Not the first time I have heard this kind of story.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
It seems like most M-F 9-5 type jobs tend to be pretty flexible in that you can take a few hours in the middle of the day to do personal business if you need to.

Jobs that lack the flexibility are often not scheduled M-F so you have a day or two off that is during the week.