Why is the whole transgender bathroom getting so much news coverage?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My counter is your position is absurd. The vast bulk of the US (and rest of the world) doesn't want to do away with separate bathrooms and go to one big happy neutral one. How do I know? Common sense.

You keep stating that as fact with zero data backing it up. You're stating it's common sense with no polling done whatsoever. Prove that people give two flying shits (pun intended).

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
This is an issue that impacts like 0.00001% of the population, and restrooms located in private business can choose regardless of federal law to allow men into women's bathrooms. This did not seem a problem needing to be solved 2-3 years ago.

Why is it front page news and covered ad nauseam in the press? It did not seem like this huge issue 4 years ago.

Did the media run out of things to fill the news cycles? I would venture there are tons of things not being covered that impacts more Americans than something that impacts very tiny minority.

Because DNC needs new pets.

In doing so progressives adopted as a core tenet that is wholly anti-science.

Anti-science and post truth.

I have half a mind to think the ruskies have infiltrated the democratic party.

The F is wrong with y'all?

Meh. Live by the feels, die by the feels.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
This is an issue that impacts like 0.00001% of the population, and restrooms located in private business can choose regardless of federal law to allow men into women's bathrooms. This did not seem a problem needing to be solved 2-3 years ago.

Why is it front page news and covered ad nauseam in the press? It did not seem like this huge issue 4 years ago.

Did the media run out of things to fill the news cycles? I would venture there are tons of things not being covered that impacts more Americans than something that impacts very tiny minority.

Are you competing for the false facts award of 2017? Conservatives made gender a BIG issue(chicken little, crying wolf) for bathroom/locker use and the percentage you pulled out of your ass has way too many zeros.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
You keep stating that as fact with zero data backing it up. You're stating it's common sense with no polling done whatsoever. Prove that people give two flying shits (pun intended).

I don't need polling to tell me that most of the country wants to keep men and women's restrooms separate. Neither do you quite frankly, I don't believe for a second that you actually think merging the two is the majority viewpoint in the US or anywhere else in the world. You get to sound forward thinking and against the man on an Internet forum full of teenage nerds though, so you win that I suppose.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't need polling to tell me that most of the country wants to keep men and women's restrooms separate. Neither do you quite frankly, I don't believe for a second that you actually think merging the two is the majority viewpoint in the US or anywhere else in the world. You get to sound forward thinking and against the man on an Internet forum full of teenage nerds though, so you win that I suppose.

I brought it forward as a potential proposition, to sidestep the idiocy that is the federal government attempting to control at what 'stage' of 'sexhood' someone should be in slot a or b. You called it out as being untenable based on 'common sense' and 'because everyone knows this' without anything to back it up. So whatever, I guess every argument can be shot down with 'it's common sense, we don't even need to look into that'.

Going back to it again, would you have stated it was 'common sense' to leave bathrooms segregated, because nobody wanted whites and coloreds in the same restrooms?

Reactions: MongGrel

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Not much until they hit the showers, but better yet ask that individual what sanitary napkin they prefer along with what steps they will take to prevent from getting pregnant including using an abortion if those steps fail, along with all the other issues girls and women would have to face due to their biological makeup,

because growing your hair long shaving your legs and donning a dress will now allow you to gain that elusive insight into what a real girl/women has to go through their entire lives just as if you were one, just disregard the fact that they can still use a urinal like every other biological male without having to drop their pants.

If you think every man can use a urinal and every woman cannot, you are very ignorant of the diversity in human physiology.
(god!! Spelled "physiology" with out spell checker butting in, must be fifty years since I had to.)

Reactions: xthetenth

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Trump's position merely gives the power back to the states and local school districts to figure out how to best handle instead of a one size fits all do as I say from D.C.
Saw how good removing Federal control of State voting rights worked didn't we? Like letting a caged fox out to guard the chickens?

Reactions: xthetenth

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Not much until they hit the showers, but better yet ask that individual what sanitary napkin they prefer along with what steps they will take to prevent from getting pregnant including using an abortion if those steps fail, along with all the other issues girls and women would have to face due to their biological makeup,

because growing your hair long shaving your legs and donning a dress will now allow you to gain that elusive insight into what a real girl/women has to go through their entire lives just as if you were one, just disregard the fact that they can still use a urinal like every other biological male without having to drop their pants.

I think you're somehow managing to stake out a more extreme position than TERFs, which is frankly kind of impressive. First off you're implicitly denying the existence of reassignment surgery, which in the case of transwomen matters a whole hell of a lot more than their Y chromosome when trying to use a urinal. So great job establishing that you have any idea whatsoever what trans people's lives are like. Better yet, you attempt to use knowledge of life experiences as a criteria for bathroom use in the same post where you demonstrate you have no idea on the subject.

Meanwhile in reality, we have (trans)women who look like women in every way outside the stall who want to use the women's room because unlike how them having different chromosomes and genitals that are different in construction if not appearance affects the bathroom going experience of people who aren't looking in their stalls (a gross violation of privacy), being a woman who looks like a woman can and has gotten trans women harassed, assaulted, and raped. I think by your standards, you aren't fit to use the same bathroom as trans women far more than they aren't fit to use the same as you.

Also you lead off by implying that post-menopausal women and women who've had hysterectomies aren't women either. Good job! :confused:

If you want to say that trans women who can't pass should be discouraged from using the women's bathroom, that's one thing that you can make an argument for (I'd disagree but that's an actual discussion), but this is just a mess.

I brought it forward as a potential proposition, to sidestep the idiocy that is the federal government attempting to control at what 'stage' of 'sexhood' someone should be in slot a or b. You called it out as being untenable based on 'common sense' and 'because everyone knows this' without anything to back it up. So whatever, I guess every argument can be shot down with 'it's common sense, we don't even need to look into that'.

Going back to it again, would you have stated it was 'common sense' to leave bathrooms segregated, because nobody wanted whites and coloreds in the same restrooms?

The best solution would be a unisex handicapped bathroom so handicapped people, mixed gender child/parent pairs and trans people who don't feel comfortable trying to pass in one or both gendered room have an option. That requires infrastructure changes though.

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I vote for just full-on unisex bathrooms. It is time for us to take a step away from adam and eve and the forbidden fruit modesty that has been ingrained in us since the start of Abrahamic religions.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Were transgendered people being horribly mistreated before Obama's decree?

Not institutionally, but they always will be on a person to person basis unfortunately. I'm sorry but to think a boy can dress up as a girl and attend any regular school in America without getting bullied and such is completely unrealistic. Hell kids are treated horribly just for having acne and such, and this is worlds apart from that.

And no matter how much legislation is out there, how heavy handed the federal government gets, that's not going to change. What will change though is parents becoming increasingly upset at being told exactly how these very tiny % of students have to be handled. The pendulum is going to swing the other way and life is going to become even more difficult for them.

They are caught in the middle of two political parties fighting, neither one of which actually cares what happens to them. If Obama actually cared the clause about no exceptions made to accommodate them wouldn't have been added, it removed any rational decision making from the process and inevitably fanned the flame. Thus here we are. The government shouldn't be involved.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I vote for just full-on unisex bathrooms. It is time for us to take a step away from adam and eve and the forbidden fruit modesty that has been ingrained in us since the start of Abrahamic religions.

I bet you wear a fedora too.

It's like every new generation forgets what the past generation learned and has to change something just to make it their own. What is more likely is modern stresses, hormones in foods, is causing a tiny percentage of people to malfunction.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
"The Trump administration just restored the rights of 99.8 % of Americans. Go back to where you were pissing before your Liberal confusion.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Because people like this are being told they have to use the boys change room and bathroom in high school. What could go wrong?

332EDD7F00000578-3540157-Since_going_public_Maya_pictured_aged_19_has_shared_dozens_of_im-m-132_1460664753318.jpg

It's funny, because its exactly the opposite of what you are claiming. She would have almost no chance of being bothered in a bathroom because she passes.

The issue is one of Obama's abuse of an executive order which was slapped down regardless by the courts, and Trump simply let that stand, the issue simply goes back to the states.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You can honestly post about executive orders and abuse regarding Obama with a straight face.

Fore, lets go golfing.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
These guidelines allow trans people to actually function in public places just like you do. That's all.

Without any considerations of reality.
Sorry but blanket edicts are simply irresponsible. There was no requirement placed on "identification" in Obama's guidelines. No legal or psychological assessments at all.

It was an end run around the legislature using Title IX, and we've already seen the results of Obama's meddling with Title IX resulting campus rape hysteria, an endless line of false rape accusation cases and campus kangaroo courts.

Obama did everything the wrong way, democrats have no right to complain about the consequences.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Without any considerations of reality.
Sorry but blanket edicts are simply irresponsible. There was no requirement placed on "identification" in Obama's guidelines. No legal or psychological assessments at all.

It was an end run around the legislature using Title IX, and we've already seen the results of Obama's meddling with Title IX resulting campus rape hysteria and an endless line of false rape accusation cases and campus kangaroo courts.

Obama did everything the wrong way, democrats have no right to complain about the consequences.

reserved.

NM, not spending the time to respond.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Because people like this are being told they have to use the boys change room and bathroom in high school. What could go wrong?

332EDD7F00000578-3540157-Since_going_public_Maya_pictured_aged_19_has_shared_dozens_of_im-m-132_1460664753318.jpg

Not being funny, but if she was post OP I would ask for her number..... damn.

This whole transgender bathroom and prison thing needs to die in a fire. So many homophobic fools and people worried about a "man" being in the womens bathroom. Get over it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The transgender, gay and other various agendas are the "in" thing right now. It's part of the program to get people to accept a certain way of living. It's to make certain sexual behaviors, certain sexual practices, etc. more normal. Just another example of the fallen nature of mankind.

But in this society, if one doesn't welcome "everybody" and "everything" and "every lifestyle" with open arms, then they must be backward and discriminatory.

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That's the outlier not the norm desura, and I don't think anyone that looks at it with an open mind thinks instances like that would be commonplace.

What would become more and more common is lawsuits. We live in an era where not only does everyone want easy money, they also want to make a "difference" and be part of the narrative. You can't be a warrior on social justice without a battle, so they look for one. As a result you'll have school districts allocating scarce resources to a non-existent problem out of fear they'll be sued. This takes away from the other 99.99% of the students.

Not to mention the slippery slope, it's not just where you pee. Girls would potentially have to shower with a male present because they identify as female. This will result in them finding ways to avoid the showers and as a result sports because at that age many of them are very insecure about themselves and their bodies, and having a boy present (even one who thinks they are a girl) would certainly compound on that.

Then there's the issue of hormones and does that count as a PED in regards to sports, who should get to play on what team. Is a male allowed to play against females because that's who they identify with? Even though their body biologically gives them an unfair advantage and potentially puts the other females at a greater risk of injury? What about this example where the girl wrestler forfeits rather than wresting with a girl transitioning to a boy and taking hormones: http://www.startribune.com/transgender-boy-2-wins-away-from-girls-state-wrestling-title/414775124/

This is something best left up to the school districts to deal with on a case by case basis rather than at the federal level. Will everyone always agree with the outcome? No, of course not, but that's going to be the case no matter what. By letting the school districts solve it if and when there's a need to (which the bulk of the time is not the case, most schools don't have a transgender student) it has the least impact on the rights and education of the other students. The warriors need to pick another battle.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I think George Takei said this isn't about bathrooms any more than the civil rights movement was about drinking fountains.... which I thought was a good way to put it.

I agree with that, it's much broader in scope and consequences than just bathrooms.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
People are teaching kids now to choose what sex they want to be. Or in another words, implanting an idea in their heads that maybe they were born into a gender they were not supposed to be. I mean, we now have stories of very young children identifying as transexual or whatever other term they are using now. The very modern, very open minded and very educated parents don't seem to realize that maybe, just maybe these sorts of things may not be totally healthy for a developing mind.

But it's just another way of bringing these issues to the mainstream. Just like Milo was discussing his sexual fantasies, etc openly. Pushing a certain agenda.

None of this happens by accident.

By the way, before anyone says it: I am not anti-this or pro-that. I don't like group thinking and belonging to organizations. All I'm saying is that there is always an agenda behind every story the media reports. We need to realize that none of this happens by accident. I understand that certain people with certain lifestyles might need rights, etc. That is no problem at all. We should be fair to everyone. However, that goes both ways and fairness needs to extend to everyone.

Last edited: