Why is the whining about racism so high this season....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Why aren't we finding any Dems threating the life of McCain?

the DNC has been running this entire campaign on the assumption that John McCain isn't going to survive 5 minutes inside the white house before dying.
The worry should be more on Palin's safety, the thought of her being next in line for the Presidency even has Conservatives fearful.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

the DNC has been running this entire campaign on the assumption that John McCain isn't going to survive 5 minutes inside the white house before dying.

Find just one Dem who is willing to help that process along.

what, it's my fault democrats are pussies and willing to trade their guns for abortions? :p
Way to veer off the subject and over a cliff. Obviously Democrats are more civilized and would not settle disputes with McCain by shooting him.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Find just one Dem who is willing to help that process along.

what, it's my fault democrats are pussies and willing to trade their guns for abortions? :p
Way to veer off the subject and over a cliff. Obviously Democrats are more civilized and would not settle disputes with McCain by shooting him.

Yeah, they'd use Iocaine powder, much more civilized.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
Well, yes there are people who will knee jerk and say everything is racist. However, the McCain campaign has used everything short of the N word to make sure everyone knows Obama doesn't look like us.

neanderthal?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: techs
Well, yes there are people who will knee jerk and say everything is racist. However, the McCain campaign has used everything short of the N word to make sure everyone knows Obama doesn't look like us.

neanderthal?
Lets not bring Palin's husband into this debate.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mooseracing
Why are people that don't want to vote for Obama being labeled racist? It seems this country wants to be "p.c.", whatever that means anymore. yet the people that cry racism can be racist without penalty.

How fucking stupid are the people in this country that a hotel puts up a McCain/Palin sign and the NAACP is called multiple times on the Hotel.

I find the monkey depiction of Obama funny as well, the face with big ears, but I suppose I'm racist then? Yet I didn't cry and call the Cracker Association when there was all the monkey renditions of GWB. I just don't get why every reference has to be racist, ie the word black.

BTW - Watch this video - http://www.cnn.com/video/#/vid....obama.newsletter.kcal

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks
Obama said "they" meaning the GOP. And I can point to 5 instances on the front page of P&N where McCain campaign offices have tried to make race an issue, or attempt to "otherize" him. No, McCain cannot control every single supporter across the country, but those are the people and the tactics that Obama was talking about. Obama didn't think McCain was going to stand on a platform and say "Hey, you know you can't for for the negro right?"

McCain/Palin HAVE tried to paint Obama as different, strange, dangerous, link him to terrorists, etc. This is what Obama was talking about. And he was dead on.

Krauthammer's a dunce. "We asked Obama to tell us an instance where McCain brought up race". Did he even read his own previous paragraph? Maybe he should have asked the Obama campaign instances where McCain/Palin tried to "frighten" people into not voting for him.
So pointing out that Obama worked with a terrorist is now racist??

And I don't think they call him 'different.' What they are doing is pointing out that his views are different.

We are really screwed as a country if we get to the point that you can't point out legitimate political differences without being called a racist.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: aphex
Why are people that don't want to vote for Obama being labeled racist? It seems this country wants to be "p.c.", whatever that means anymore. yet the people that cry racism can be racist without penalty.

How fucking stupid are the people in this country that a hotel puts up a McCain/Palin sign and the NAACP is called multiple times on the Hotel.

I find the monkey depiction of Obama funny as well, the face with big ears, but I suppose I'm racist then? Yet I didn't cry and call the Cracker Association when there was all the monkey renditions of GWB. I just don't get why every reference has to be racist, ie the word black.

BTW - Watch this video - http://www.cnn.com/video/#/vid....obama.newsletter.kcal
We already talked about that...
A bunch idiots made that food stamp, but you can't paint the whole party as racists based on that on incident.

The guy who said it wasn't racist was an idiot too. Oh and the black woman who is a Republican?? She must be race traitor huh?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
LOL @ Perfesser "Racism only exists in the South" Johnnie.

Republican hate sucks

(and that is all you have to offer America)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Obama said "they" meaning the GOP.

We went through this here in P&N a while back when it happened.

Obama specifically named McCain, he did not just use the word "they".

Fern

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Obama said "they" meaning the GOP. And I can point to 5 instances on the front page of P&N where McCain campaign offices have tried to make race an issue, or attempt to "otherize" him. No, McCain cannot control every single supporter across the country, but those are the people and the tactics that Obama was talking about. Obama didn't think McCain was going to stand on a platform and say "Hey, you know you can't for for the negro right?"

McCain/Palin HAVE tried to paint Obama as different, strange, dangerous, link him to terrorists, etc. This is what Obama was talking about. And he was dead on.

Krauthammer's a dunce. "We asked Obama to tell us an instance where McCain brought up race". Did he even read his own previous paragraph? Maybe he should have asked the Obama campaign instances where McCain/Palin tried to "frighten" people into not voting for him.
So pointing out that Obama worked with a terrorist is now racist??

And I don't think they call him 'different.' What they are doing is pointing out that his views are different.

We are really screwed as a country if we get to the point that you can't point out legitimate political differences without being called a racist.

He's a professor, not a terrorist. Keep slinging the mud though, PJ. It just discredits you further.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
All Republicans aren't racists, but when the count is done we will publish the exact figures. ;)

-Robert

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor
He's a professor, not a terrorist. Keep slinging the mud though, PJ. It just discredits you further.

I don't know if planting a bomb to blow up a statue, bombing a police headquarters, the US Capitol building, and the Pentagon, and participating in a radical organization makes someone a terrorist, but it doesn't help.

jimmyj68

Mar 18, 2004
This, the first time in the history of the United States of America, that a Negro is very, very close to being elected the nation's President, it is also a time of great danger to the social fabric of our nation.

We take pride in being a free country- and because we are there are enclaves of people who avidly believe that a Negro is less than human and should be put in special places of their own or run out of the country - or put to death - because they are Negro. This is a sad fact in our country.

There are others who are less open and militant about their feelings but just don't want "them" around their "neck of the woods". And finally, there are those who work with and interact with Negroes every day of their lives- but when they are home, in the privacy of their living rooms the story is just the opposite. Add to the list persona non gratis Hispanics, people from the middle and far east (Japan, Korea, the Phillipines - you name it), and there is a litany of humans that White Supremacists and closet bigots find time to hate.

That group--the closet bigots--despite all of the cute rhetoric of the talking heads in the media (unfortunately, the only source of thought for far too many people) can't quite fathom a Negro president. Because of the emphasis on political correctness, they have created a myriad of ways to say we don't want a great person in the White House without actually saying it. A guy on the Fox network seems to have made it his life's goal to keep Obama from being elected.

Now we add to this volatile mixture an irresponsible political opponent who openly declares that he won't talk about the terrible economic crisis the country faces because he must talk about a vague chorus of questions and complaints that the Negro candidate hasn't satisfactorily answered about people the candidate has crossed paths with over the years of his honing his political skills. I guarantee you, that this stuff would not have come up so early in the campaign had Obama been White (remember Kerry). But now it is grounds for characterizing Obama as a terrorist, a threat to the country (like what can he do when he has a congress and a house of representatives, and a supreme court to go through)?

All of this plays to the subliminal fears of the unwashed that have always been there as regards a Negro male. Now, the financial crisis is a tool for stoking those fears by constantly reminding your audiences how angry they are about the economic situation and-----that terrorists Black man running for President. It is perfect for making a volatile situation hypergolic. Add to that the icon of White male fears, the White female (Palin) and have her goading the base about that frightening and threatening Black man (I have heard a rumor that Palin referred to Obama as Sambo in an unguarded moment), and ladies and gentlemen - we are sitting on a tinder box.

If Obama wins - all hell may break loose. If Obama loses- all hell may break loose. Should some empty headed fool make an attempt on Obama's life, all hell will break loose because there are a lot of unwashed in Black America.

The Republican party has stacked the deck using Acorn (notice how the news folks seem to find only Black Americans to put in the news videos) and will holler Voter Fraud if Obama wins even though there is no proven connection between fraudulent registrations and fraudulent votes (fraudulent votes usually come from the people running the voting systems).

The Republican parties candidate has stacked the deck by fomenting hatred and a threat of violence. And by not having the sense of responsibility to speak for calm and sobriety. To speak against the mood and atmosphere permeating the rallys Palin leads.

If anything, McCain knows how to be politically correct - don't be fooled by his staged profession of respect and admiration for his opponent. McCain was formed and shaped in a staunch segragationist family background. Wave the flag about his father and grandfather's success in the Navy and remember that President truman had to make a presidential edict to get the military services to integrate. The Navy was the worse offender. The Admirals and other ranking officers had personal "slaves" to wait on them hand and foot. In the early days they were usually Phillipino. As more Negroes enlisted or were drafted into the Navy they began to fill those roles. Or, they were below deck doing the laundry, fixing and serving the meals, and keeping the ship clean. His immediate role models, father and grandfather, did not incline him to be free of prejudice or bigotry. At the time McCain attended Annapolis it was almost impossible for any other than White, Anglo-Saxon Protestants to walk the halls of Annapolis.

Understand what truly motivates this Presidential Campaign. It is not issues, they both in essence promise the same things - just different ways to go about it. The crux of this campaign is, as we here so often said by the Republican candidate ...Americans can see a clear choice of what is best for our country.

If you are Godly, pray for the safety of our nation, if you aren't, think real hard about the socio-political situation this country faces in the next few weeks.:(

merged

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red dawn

Feb 6, 2007
... You know "negro" went out of favor in the fifties, right? These days, negro is considered a borderline racial slur, and is not used by a single person, including racists, who is even remotely politically savvy (or intelligent at all, come to think of it). You dig me, my negro?

Second... Well, I'd just like to say on behalf of posters who still have a working brain, we were much happier when you were lurking. So, you know, maybe you should try that again and see how it works out...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Coul you bother to put the subject in the subject line? Something about race in the election.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

From what I have seen on this forum, it is the McCain\Republican supporters bringing up race.

Check out which forum members have brought Mr Obama's race.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
When it became clear Obama would be McCains opponent there was undoubtedly a meeting where his campaign team sat down to discuss how to handle the race issue in the campaign. This is what McCain should have said:

McCain:
"I'll tell you how we are going to handle the race issue in this campaign. We are not going to mention it. My opponent is Barack Obama, not a black man. If someone on our side brings up race, we are going to politely say race has nothing to do with it. If anyone on our side makes a racist attack or spews hate we are going to denounce them as fully and completely as we can. Every time.
We are not going to care what the polls say, we are not going use race to get even one vote. If we lose, and we are not going to lose, we are going out as patriots who acted for the principals this country was founded on.
It's not jus the right thing to do, it happens to be the best thing for the country and our Republican party."

Merged

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
Chants like 'Off with his head', 'Kill Him', and 'Terrorist' bring up the deep seeded anger towards Obama that some feel and many interpret that as Racism. Is it? I don't know. Some of the clips i've seen on the You Tube videos from rallys are disgusting.

I think its a small contingent that is indeed racist, but a contingent nevertheless.

The kinds of people who say things like that are such a small minority that they are irrelevant. Certainly there are some blacks who will vote for Obama just because he is black and some whites who won't vote for him because he isn't white. In those cases, no one can do anything about it, so it becomes irrelevant.

You can't always judge someone by their supporters, especially the lunatic fringe.