Why is the PIII so expensive ?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My guess? Lots of businesses still have P3 dually boards. They're expensive, but not quite as expensive as getting a new board, 2 P4 Xeon processors, and new memory.

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
These things can overclock a bunch, run on lower voltage than a P3. The rig I am selling has two 1.26GHz P3-S in it. They are super stable and run cooler than a P4.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I know a few companies still running quad ppro's, so I assume there are many more piii's in demand.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
hmm... 1.4 ghz that kills the P4@ 2ghz+, 512 K cache, New .13 micron press to make the cpu, 133 FSB.... and the fact that the P3 is the most coolest god damn CPU ever (and no athlon can take that away) Plus its a luxury chip that is the zenith of intel's CPU's. Plus mofo's overclock to 1.7 easily too) and that even a bigger b!tch slap to the P4 and AXP. :D

(P3 has become the underdog for some computer enthusiasts, who regret the P4 overshadowing its limelight :| ) That's why I LOVE my tualatin Celerons. 256k cache and plenty of overclock head room :D

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: KGB
hmm... 1.4 ghz that kills the P4@ 2ghz+, 512 K cache, New .13 micron press to make the cpu, 133 FSB.... and the fact that the P3 is the most coolest god damn CPU ever (and no athlon can take that away) Plus its a luxury chip that is the zenith of intel's CPU's. Plus mofo's overclock to 1.7 easily too) and that even a bigger b!tch slap to the P4 and AXP. :D

(P3 has become the underdog for some computer enthusiasts, who regret the P4 overshadowing its limelight :| ) That's why I LOVE my tualatin Celerons. 256k cache and plenty of overclock head room :D

You will die for that.:evil: ;) Give me a 8-way opteron and I'll take you :D:)( I just want the 8-way opteron)

Edit: I didn't know there where that many companys running P3's

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Because it is a damn sweet CPU.

If it weren't for the price I'd take that over my P4 any day.

Viper GTS

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That is the top of the line chip for all P3 users. For ~$200 they can get a computer far faster than what they currently use. That is without any of the hassle of migrating all the programs/data to the new computer. Compare that to the minimum $500 price for a new computer and all that extra effort. In some cases, the P3 is still the way to go. It isn't like many people will push the 1.4 GHz P3 to its limits.

Note: I'm thinking businesses here for this post.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: KGB

actually, the PII Xeon's were the BEST for multi processed servers. Even the P4 Xeons at 3 ghz can't touch these babies. Netfinity 7000 here at my clients with dual Xeon 1 mb cache processors. these babies ROCK.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
P3 is better than the P4 at similar clockspeeds. of course, intel doesnt want people buying the P3 instead of the flagship P4, so they jack P# prices up in prevention.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
P3 is better than the P4 at similar clockspeeds. of course, intel doesnt want people buying the P3 instead of the flagship P4, so they jack P# prices up in prevention.

But haven't all the PIII CPU's been produced and sold by Intel? That is, aren't they completely out of production by now, therefore not giving Intel any say on the prices? I figured it'd be left up to supply/demand...but maybe I don't know the whole story

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: geno

But haven't all the PIII CPU's been produced and sold by Intel? That is, aren't they completely out of production by now, therefore not giving Intel any say on the prices? I figured it'd be left up to supply/demand...but maybe I don't know the whole story

They're pushing the new platform. Think about it, why would people by P4s if P3s were cheaper (as they are faster).

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

i could be wrong, but i believe intel is still producing P3 chips (id have to check to be sure). still producing but no longer developing i think. whether retailers decide to continue reselling them is a different story.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket

They're pushing the new platform. Think about it, why would people by P4s if P3s were cheaper (as they are faster).

So Intel is *still* producing PIII's?

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket

So Intel is *still* producing PIII's?

i believe so. i read somewhere about that not long ago. it isn't for me to say though, as im not one who pays much attention to that. some others might be able to clarify if this is true. i just know there were numerous articles in the past comparing the P3 (superior at the time) to the new comer P4.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Na Na Na Na. I wouldn't believe intel to this day is still making P3's. If they ARE it must be for the portable solutions. Even that is conspicious since the Centrino is arguably the better in that segment. I've seen some Low voltage P3's @800 on mini sony laptops, but a centrino would be a better solution for that. Also considering cost and factory labor its not a "economical procedure" Making: Prescotts, Xeons, P4's, P4m, Celeron, Centrino(PentiumM), newly announce CeleronM. Any more products produced will hinder intel's function to have gross yields in their products.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
I miss my P3. I had a coppermine 750, and set the fsb to 133 and had a 1ghz. SWEET performance out of that thing. But i sold it when I bought my 1800+ :(