Why is the Big Bang theory taught in Public Schools?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
As something that Science cannot possibly prove through demonstratable, observable experiments, why are the religious principals of the Big Bang theory, which virtually(or every) single biology book in High Schools and College use as their foundation for the science of cosmic evolution, still taught in Public schools?

It's crystal clear to anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty that one must believe the Big Bang happened. They cannot know. It is in no way science, it is as 100% religiously based (in terms of beliefs) to believe in the big bang theory as is to believe in Jesus or Allah or Santa Clause for the kids. I'm specifically talking about Time, Space and Matter appearing.

1) Without time, there is no when.
2) Without space, there is no where.
3) Without matter, there is no what.

Somehow, the Big Bang is one of the only 100% religious ideas taught in public schools that gives the theory on how the universe came to exist, yet there is no evidience of something appearing from nothing.

My question is, why is Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Mysticism viewed as religious and cannot be used to explain cosmic evolution, or origins of life, yet the most prominent theory of which there is absoluetely no evidence that doesn't also support Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Mysticism(i think).

I think it's great we can tell the universe is expanding, but why does this prove the Big Bang and somehow disprove a creator?

Why is the Big Bang theory taught in Public Schools and then used in evolution as if the big bang were real science?

Oct 25, 2006
Sigh.

There is plenty of evidence for the existence of the Big Bang, and until a better theory with observational evidence comes out, we're sticking with the Big Bang Theory

Also, it doesn't disprove the existence of a creator. Logic disproves a creator.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
LOL at the ignorance in the OP. You should probably actually learn about the Big Bang Theory and the various refines to it based on empirical data rather than just assuming it is a blind belief that a big explosion made everything :roll:

Sep 12, 2004
Observation and extrapolation tells us that at one time all matter in our known universe was compacted into a single lump. I guess we can argue whether or not a big bang occurred when that lump began expanding. It's possible it didn't. But that's the best explanation (along with Inflation theory) that we have at this point.

Personally I think it kicks the crap out of the theory of some magic man in the sky clapping his hands and making all this happen.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19
LOL at the ignorance in the OP. You should probably actually learn about the Big Bang Theory and the various refines to it based on empirical data rather than just assuming it is a blind belief that a big explosion made everything :roll:

It's sad how you completely mangled what I wrote into a strawman that's as easy to burn up with "you should probably learn what the big bang theory actually is.."

I've studied the Big Bang theory. I believe in a Big Bang myself. What i'm talking about is time, space and matter.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Observation and extrapolation tells us that at one time all matter in our known universe was compacted into a single lump. I guess we can argue whether or not a big bang occurred when that lump began expanding. It's possible it didn't. But that's the best explanation (along with Inflation theory) that we have at this point.

Personally I think it kicks the crap out of the theory of some magic man in the sky clapping his hands and making all this happen.

Are you intellectually honest enough to admit that believers of the big bang are a religion?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Duwelon

It's sad how you completely mangled what I wrote into a strawman that's as easy to burn up with "you should probably learn what the big bang theory actually is.."

I've studied the Big Bang theory. I believe in a Big Bang myself. What i'm talking about is time, space and matter.

No, you asked why it is taught in schools. There are reasons why, such as empirical evidence. There is no real evidence for the gods of those religions you mentioned. I answered your question well enough.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Eh at least hes not knocking on my door.

Hi i'm Duwelon, like my bright orange shirt? Want to join my cult? We're having Rite-aid tomorrow night in my coven's basement, wanna come? Har har har.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

No, you asked why it is taught in schools. There are reasons why, such as empirical evidence. There is no real evidence for the gods of those religions you mentioned. I answered your question well enough.

No, you didn't. You said there was emperical evidence, but didn't say what it was.

Sep 12, 2004

Are you intellectually honest enough to admit that believers of the big bang are a religion?
I personally don't tithe to the Church of the Big Bang, at least on a regular basis. ;)

Nor do I kneel or pray to any BB gods. So, no, I don't think it's intellectually dishonest to say that the Big Bang is not a religion. If it were, I'd be dedicated to it as a true believer. I'm not. In fact I'd be excited if some scientist could come along with an even better, plausible explanation.

Right now though it's the best explanation we have.

Dec 10, 2005

No, you didn't. You said there was emperical evidence, but didn't say what it was.

Background radiation.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Background radiation.

How is that evidence for space, time and matter coming into existence(without a creator)?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

This isn't science class, Torquemada. You want to know why something is taught in the science classroom, jman19 provided a reason. He is not under any obligation to explain the details of the theory to you, particularly since you posted an incredibly inflammatory thread despite clearly having no knowledge whatsoever of the topic. You call the Big Bang theory "100% religious" despite clearly detailed scientific evidence to support it. The fact that you might be too dumb, too biased or too lazy to go look for that evidence doesn't burden any of us with the responsibility of explaining it to you...simply pointing out that you might want to remove your head from your ass and try to learn something seems like a perfectly fair comment to me. Especially since you started this discussion in such an aggressively ridiculous way.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Background radiation.

How is that evidence for space, time and matter coming into existence(without a creator)?

The fact that there are still details to learn about the origin of the universe does not mean that the only explanation is the existence of a creator. This is what separates people like you, who have to be dragged kicking and screaming along the path of human progress, from the bright lights who shine the way. You are content with your ignorance, you even celebrate it, while better men dedicate their lives to solving the greatest mysteries of the origin of existence itself. If there is a God who created the universe, I can't imagine he looks upon your type more favorably than the people who want nothing more than the fully explore the wonders of the universe we live in.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
There is a massive amount of empirical evidence for the Big Bang. The Cosmic microwave background radiation just for one.

The OP's argument is basically that because everything in science fundamentally relies upon a priori, therefore science is religion and so his personal brand of whack fundie-ism should be taught in our public schools.

To which I say, screw you and your sense of entitlement.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005

Background radiation.

I'm pretty sure that's beyond the scope of Big Bang. It doesn't try to explain what started the process, but rather how that singularity grew into the universe as we know it today.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

This isn't science class, Torquemada. You want to know why something is taught in the science classroom, jman19 provided a reason. He is not under any obligation to explain the details of the theory to you, particularly since you posted an incredibly inflammatory thread despite clearly having no knowledge whatsoever of the topic. You call the Big Bang theory "100% religious" despite clearly detailed scientific evidence to support it. The fact that you might be too dumb, too biased or too lazy to go look for that evidence doesn't burden any of us with the responsibility of explaining it to you...simply pointing out that you might want to remove your head from your ass and try to learn something seems like a perfectly fair comment to me. Especially since you started this discussion in such an aggressively ridiculous way.

Rainsford,

So, you are claiming then that emperical evidence for the Big Bang does exist?

I'm saying it doesn't, I thought i made it perfectly clear. What you percieve to be inflammitory is your own bias clashing with my own statements, which you in your anger now won't be able to back up.

I don't need the big bang theory explained to me, so you can take your attempts to undermine my intelligence and shove em somewhere.

I am presenting a valid question about why there is such vicious hypocracy about the belief in origins. We teach our kids about one theory (at least they're honest enough to call it a theory, until they assume it is a fact 1000x in the teaching of biology).

If you don't have the integrity to debate on how the Big Bang theory, which would also need Time, Space and Matter to exist to come to the fruition that the text books teach, then don't come crying to me about it.

The Big Bang theory supposedly explains the birth of the universe, and there are some great scientific things we're observing, but none that explain the origins of what allows the birth to take place, space, time, matter, etc.

Sep 12, 2004

Background radiation.

It's not evidence for that. It's not evidence FOR a creator either. It's evidence that the Big Bang happened.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

Background radiation.

It's not evidence for that. It's not evidence FOR a creator either. It's evidence that the Big Bang happened.

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Background radiation.

It's not. Your confusion stems from an ignorance of science. Ironically, the same as I usually find in atheists. Science does NOT say that space, time, and matter came into existence without a creator. It just doesn't include a creator in its observations, because no creator has been observed. This is a profound difference.

The best description I've ever heard for your question is when it was asked of Stephen Hawking. To "what existed before the big bang?" he answered, "What's north of the North Pole?" Answer: nothing. Because 'north of' at that point ceased to exist. But note that doesn't mean that something doesn't exist above it, outside it, whatever. It's just that, in this case of 'before' the big bang, science doesn't seek to answer questions for which it has no evidence whatsoever. That's what differentiates science from your shamanism.