Why is statutory rape illegal?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I wonder why the US has arbitrarily decided 18 is the AoC.
-snip-

Nope, it's up the individual states. It's not a national thing.

Google it, most states have set the age at 16 years old too (not 18).

Fern

Yes, but AFAIK before 18 there are age gap limits? Like 3-5 years or something? Im not aware of ANY state where a 30 year old guy or woman can have sex with a 16 year old.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

And a teen isnt capable of knowingly seducing another person (any age) I guess. They were mostly"taken advantage of" *cough*

It doesn't matter for the same reason juveniles are not held to the same standard of punishment for crimes they commit.

Stop making excuses for inexcusable behavior by adults.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern
I wonder why the US has arbitrarily decided 18 is the AoC.
-snip-

Nope, it's up the individual states. It's not a national thing.

Google it, most states have set the age at 16 years old too (not 18).

Fern

Yes, but AFAIK before 18 there are age gap limits? Like 3-5 years or something? Im not aware of ANY state where a 30 year old guy or woman can have sex with a 16 year old.

That's not my understanding.

Once you've reached the age of consensual sex, the partner's age no longer matters.

Fern

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Muse

Originally posted by: bbdub333

So what if a 25 year old dude convinced your 14 year old daughter to say yes? Do you trust her answer?

Whether or not you trust her answer is it reason to put the 25 year old in jail?

You're damned right it is, and I'd do it in a nanosecond and have a party to celebrate when the asshole was arrested.

In the eyes of the law, a 25 year old guy is considered an adult who is fully responsible for his actions. A 14 year old girl is in the eight or ninth grade in middle school.

And a teen isnt capable of knowingly seducing another person (any age) I guess. They were mostly"taken advantage of" *cough*

Teens are perfectly capable of knowingly signing their names on a piece of paper as well. Do you propose a 14 year old child should be able to enter into a legal contract as well?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Thread summary: A bunch of 20+ guys that want to get some ~ 15yr old ass.

Cheer up guys, there is always Thailand.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

It doesn't matter for the same reason juveniles are not held to the same standard of punishment for crimes they commit.
Stop making excuses for inexcusable behavior by adults.

In this country. And of course were right!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: Muse

Originally posted by: bbdub333

So what if a 25 year old dude convinced your 14 year old daughter to say yes? Do you trust her answer?

Whether or not you trust her answer is it reason to put the 25 year old in jail?

You're damned right it is, and I'd do it in a nanosecond and have a party to celebrate when the asshole was arrested.

In the eyes of the law, a 25 year old guy is considered an adult who is fully responsible for his actions. A 14 year old girl is in the eight or ninth grade in middle school.

Teens are perfectly capable of knowingly signing their names on a piece of paper as well. Do you propose a 14 year old child should be able to enter into a legal contract as well?

No, but I support them legally shoving vacuums up theyre wise and beautiful woman and sucking out a fetus without parental notification. :D

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

ANYWHERE in SE Asia will get you anywhere from $20,000 extorted best case scenario to death worse case scenario under 18.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

ANYWHERE in SE Asia will get you anywhere from $20,000 extorted best case scenario to death worse case scenario under 18.

Europe is another story. 14-15 almost everywhere.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Because our law says at age 18: You're an adult and as a result you have the privilege to vote. Only an adult can have sex with an adult because adults can now make decisions.

If two 14 year olds consented to have sex, who goes to jail?

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
If you don't like it, simple: move to a country that has a different viewpoint more similar to yours.

I love when people say that. I mean... it's not like this country is a democracy or anything. It's not like laws can be changed.... Hell, it's a good thing you can't run to be an elected official... imagine what this country would be like then!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: Skoorb
So if a 30 year old convinces a 7 year old to let him have sex with her in exchange for a box of chocolate it's ok? Fvck me.

Disagreeing where the line should be drawn on age of consent isn't an endorsement of pedophilia.

Personally I think some consideration should be given to moving it to 14-15-16. US age varies by state from 16-18.
Now doubt some sliding scale should (is, in fact) applied based on ages and could be tweaked, but at its heart statuatory rape is a perfectly reasonable crime.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: dbk
Teenagers are prone to making rash decisions.

And the law prevents that how?

With the law making the adult party aware that there are bad consequences in taking advantage of innocence or maybe ignorance! Remember the general reason why adults like young and immature partners; sexually, is because they can take advantage of them! It's not like they really love and want to marry them! But rather just to use, abuse and abandon them!

Oct 30, 2004

Where this becomes problematic is when you have a 20 year old banging a 17 year old. Does anyone think that that really constitutes rape? I'd like it if our laws could require a certain amount of age difference before prosecuting people for what is, in actuality, consensual sex.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
Because our law says at age 18: You're an adult and as a result you have the privilege to vote. Only an adult can have sex with an adult because adults can now make decisions.

If two 14 year olds consented to have sex, who goes to jail?

Some states have laws to reduce the penalty on things such as those to the equivalent of a misdemeanor:

For example Texas law.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Where this becomes problematic is when you have a 20 year old banging a 17 year old. Does anyone think that that really constitutes rape? I'd like it if our laws could require a certain amount of age difference before prosecuting people for what is, in actuality, consensual sex.

The worse part is that may be perfectly fine in one state, but then you cross another and it's illegal.

Age of consent by state.