Why is Paul Ryan praised as some kind of fiscal budget expert?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
I'm curious as to who in their right mind ever expected Obama to fix the economy in 4 years with a Congress that refuses to do anything. Furthermore, there is a limit to what a President can actually do to impact the economy...much of what we are seeing now was set in motion long before BO took office.

Its a funny dance the GOP has to participate in.

The market solves all problems (to quote a forum member), except when it doesnt, then its the President's fault for not creating more jobs, even though during his Presidency private job growth has been ok while public sector jobs have seem massive cuts.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Its a funny dance the GOP has to participate in.

The market solves all problems (to quote a forum member), except when it doesnt, then its the President's fault for not creating more jobs, even though during his Presidency private job growth has been ok while public sector jobs have seem massive cuts.

Private job growth has been OK??? o_O

You dare to repeat Obama's discredited talking points? Forward yourself to the present, those Obama talking points that have been walked back and back so far that only sycophants that are hooked, lined and sinkered would take him seriously.

We are still net losing jobs, period after period. Any changes in the unemployment rates are from seasonal and temporary jobs that don't carry from period to period and from long term unemployed stopping to look for work and thus dropping off the count.

The ranks of long term unemployed are still out there and growing. Until the economic opportunity killing politicians, also known as Dems, are removed from office they will stay unemployed.

You know, the Dems have an even funnier dance when it is Harry Reid's Democrat controlled Senate that votes first to unanimously reject Obama's budgets and then year after year after year refuses to pass ANY budget.

Look how easy it is for the Democrats, not the Republicans, to ignore the rule of law, namely the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974, the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985, the Budget Enforcement Act of 1990, and the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

Until the Democrats accept that their out of control spending and regulatory tsunami really is out of control, we can expect a continuing death spiral of economic losses, deterioration of the creditworthiness of the the country and a dearth of new jobs.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
There is no way any conservative on this forum who ever voted for GWB can talk about budgets or fiscal responsibility with a straight face.

Two massive unpaid wars. A ridiculous tax cut we couldn't afford.

This is why our debt exploded.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
It wasn't "our guy" who put the deficits in place. It was Bush. Every time Obama tried to ratchet back Bush's fuckups the Reps threw a huge fit (tax cuts, wars...etc). In fact, Obama has had some of the smallest budget increases of any president in modern history.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/obama-romney-deficit-debt-chart.php

Then Ryan's budget doesn't do fuck-all to fix it. In fact, he MAKES IT WORSE. You can see that the single biggest part of the deficit was the Bush tax cuts, yet, somehow, cutting taxes will magically result in huge tax gains (when they didn't under Bush) and massive economic recovery (when they didn't under Bush or Reagan). Face it, Ryan is a fucking joke and the only reason why you guys are defending him is because you're either mathematically challenged or fucking deranged.

did someone hack LK's account?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
There is no way any conservative on this forum who ever voted for GWB can talk about budgets or fiscal responsibility with a straight face. Two massive unpaid wars. A ridiculous tax cut we couldn't afford. This is why our debt exploded.

This is why cognitive dissonance is so useful...

It actually lets some conservatives do that with a straight face.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
First, I don't think it's asking much of any adult to adjust spending to conform to revenue. If I got fired from my job and kept my existing spending levels and thus wracked up enormous debt, I don't think people would sympathize with me very much when I blamed all the debt on my ex-employer. Yes, my employer made it difficult, but I was irresponsible in not adjusting to that situation.

Secondly, you guys have switched the goalposts. Whereas before it was about Ryan wanting to throw granny off a cliff, now it's about not being revenue neutral. With regard to Medicare, Ryan's plan is sensible. If it's not revenue neutral, that's bad. But what else is new? Ryan's theme is that Medicare, at least, must be reformed lest it balloon even more out of control.

Please, every fucking time a R spends money, it's all good. Military under Reagan = good. Spending under Clinton = bad. Medicare D under Bush = good, Tax cuts = good, Wars = good. Obamacare = bad, smallest budget increases in modern history = bad.

What's even worse is that people like you want to reduce revenue while following a theory that's already been proven incorrect. Everything that Bush did was just peachy to you and you want to double down on it.

Tax cuts are not revenue neutral. The Reps had a revenue + plan that added in large cuts, but they didn't like that and Ryan even wanted to go against it. Why? Because Gover Cleveland said now. Bunch of fucking pussies beholden to a guy who is nothing more than another misguided zealot.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The great thing is that now we are making the issues front and center of the debate the entire country can see how absolutely batshit insane the GOP is.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
It's the Peter Principle. We keep promoting idiots until they completely screw up, at which point they stay in their job (seemingly) forever. Examples: Alan Greenspan (BS degree), George Bush, Paul Ryan (career politician), etc...