Why is my computer beeping at me?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Saiato, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Saiato

Saiato Junior Member

Every time my computer connects to the internet, it makes a "beep" noise. Does anyone know why this is or if it means something is wrong? It doesn't seem to have any negative effect on my computer, but the sound worries me. It's very similar to the beeping that BIOS does when it is trying to tell you what's wrong, however I'm already booted into windows so I don't understand why it would be from BIOS.

2. Xantus

Xantus Junior Member

Check for spyware.

3. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Diamond Member

Like what kind of beep are we talking about? Like an annoying beep or like a windows beep telling you new hardware is ready or something like that

4. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

Sometimes a machine will use the system speaker for alert sounds. For example if you dont have a sound card installed windows alerts "bing" will be heard through the system speaker

5. Gustavus

Gustavus Golden Member

Since everything appears to be working, it is most likely you have an audio notification box clicked somewhere. An obvious suspect is the audio notification for the accessibility features. You can check if this is the culprit by going into Control Panel etc. I have my machine set to notify me when an e-mail is received by sounding a single beep. There are several other optional audio notification choices. It may well be that the beep you are hearing is simply an audio notification that you have linked to the net.

6. seemingly random

seemingly random Diamond Member

This is unusual and should be tracked down. A malware infestation may not have an outward manifestation - you might just notice unusual charges on your credit card.

So this beep is the same as the beep on boot - the source is coming from inside the pc as opposed to the external speakers? That's indicates something is wrong.

By connecting to the internet I assume you mean running the browser. I have never noticed a beep when doing this. Try changing the home page in the browser. What browser is it - Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.?

Do you hear this beep while Windows is booting - after bios initialization is complete?

Are all of the pc drivers up to date?

It would be useful to post the system specs including case.