why is my athlon xp 1800+ green?

guywithoutaclue

Nov 22, 2000
what's up with the differ color athlons? I noticed that mine has the AGOIA core... does the color mean anything? are all athlons AGOIA? How fast can I overclock this cpu? I also have a alpha pal-8045, should I face the 80mm fan toward the cpu or away? at the standard 1.53ghz what cfm should I set my variable rpm fan at (it goes from 20cfm to 48cfm with 36db at the max) I don't want a loud fan, I've learned my lesson from buying a black label delta...

Thanks for your time :)

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
I have a green 1800xp running at 2000xp speed @1.825v, Ican manage 1.733 but the vcore needs to be set very high.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Have a look at the AMD logo. See if you can find a "clue" as to why they went to green-coloured processors. ;)

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Please don't keep those of us who don't have one sitting in front of us in suspense. Why are they green.....:D?

manwithplan

Jan 21, 2001
i have a distinct feeling that it had somehting to do with AMD moving to a new organic packaging system for the newer XP chips. Unless im just getting completely confuddled here... ;)

guywithoutaclue

Nov 22, 2000
so is there any difference other than the color? what do you think of the fan speeds? how many cfms do I need to cool this cpu with my alpah pal 8045?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
The first XP CPU's that came with a organic based packaging used a brown colored packaging. AMD switched to a green colored organic packaging, similar to the style used on the FC-PGA P3 CPU's a short time later. IIRC, all current XP CPU's use the green packaging.

guywithoutaclue

Nov 22, 2000
wow insane3d your a posting maniac! hehheh thanks for the info... got any tips on how much cfms I should keep this y-s tech fan so that I don't have a loud computer? thanks for your help...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: guywithoutaclue
wow insane3d your a posting maniac! hehheh thanks for the info... got any tips on how much cfms I should keep this y-s tech fan so that I don't have a loud computer? thanks for your help...

I would run it somewhere in between 2000-2500 RPM for a balnce between noise and cooling. That speed should give you around ~30CFM. If your temps are fine, you could slow it down a little more, and if they are high..crank it a bit. :)

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: guywithoutaclue

I say 3K is a good medium; afterall you are running a charbroil Athlon. ;)