why is mobil/exxon always more expensive then hess or BP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zee, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Zee

Zee Diamond Member

is the gas better or something?

2. Zim Hosein

Zim Hosein Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Nope :)

3. T2T III

T2T III Lifer

Because I'm a stockholder of the company and they want to keep me happy by making great profits. :)

4. T2T III

T2T III Lifer

Actually, the same gas runs through a major pipeline out of Lousiana and hits several areas here on the East coast. It's at these tank farms that the additives were added for particular brands of gasoline.

5. glugglug

glugglug Diamond Member

BP and Mobil have been the same company for quite a few years now.

I generally avoid them both, especially BP, the car feels less peppy when running on it.

Contrary to popular belief, the gas at all stations is not close to the same.

At many it is gasohol not gasoline, which is made from recycled garbage (literally!) and contains some alchohol content (hence the name). If you use this type regularly on a classic American car (pre-1985ish), it will gradually eat a hole through the tank, which uses a different type of metal than they do today. One fill-up won't kill it but if you use gasahol for say 50000 miles or so in an old car you'll have problems.

Some states are required to have some kind of notice on the pump if this is what they are using but not all. (usually pretty small print you wouldn't notice if not looking for it)

6. Guest

I got gas from Mobil today for $1.39 while every other gas station I saw on my drive home was $1.49, $1.48 or higher. Usually, I find that Shell stations are ALWAYS $0.05 - $0.10 higher than a station right acorss the street.

Anyway, it's all the same gas, no matter what they tell you. :)

7. Zee

Zee Diamond Member

mobil and exxon is the same company. BP is the new Amocco which i believe is a separate company.

8. T2T III

T2T III Lifer

The companies have *not* been the same company. Mobil and BP have been involved in joint ventures in Europe in the past, but they have never been under one parent company.