Why is Left 4 Dead so popular?

samduhman

Jul 18, 2005

I've only played single player so I have to assume multiplayer is where the gravy is? Singleplayer doesn't have much going for it. Standard shooter with little content.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah youve nailed it already, single player sucks, multiplayer is where its at. Versus mode specifically... although some also find online campaigns fun.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Originally posted by: samduhman

I've only played single player so I have to assume multiplayer is where the gravy is? Singleplayer doesn't have much going for it. Standard shooter with little content.

This game honestly should not have even come with a single player option. It should be multilayer only.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Saga

This game honestly should not have even come with a single player option. It should be multilayer only.

Single player can be useful for at least learning the maps before you jump online.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
single player is not THAT bad...but MP is pretty damn fun.

Agreed. Shooting-up the zombies in the SP was pretty fun! :)

RPatrick

Mar 2, 2001
Single player is great for learning the maps, learning how to avoid causing friendly fire, learing to use the items, etc. I wish a lot more people would at least become competent playing alone before jumping into multiplayer.

I really enjoy the single player mode myself. I'd say the great atmosphere of this game separates it from your standard everyday shooter.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Gotta agree with this. It has little content. Wish they would get more characters, weapons and some more campaigns.

dclapps

Jul 24, 2005
I didn't even bother with finding where the single player button is located -- straight to MP. It's fun because it's unlike any other game I've played.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Is there a chainsaw? Please tell me there's a chainsaw! Zombie killing without a chainsaw is just not zombie killing at all!

The Chainsaw reminds me of Evil Dead: Regeneration! :)

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
I found the game and its premise to be extremely unique and fun compared to a lot of whats out right now.

But.. after a few weeks into it i felt the game seriously lacked some real content.. i got tired of having half a dozen guns and just 4 characters. The game was amazing at first but as soon as you memorize every part of each map by heart.. it needs something new.

The only fun i had on VS is when the game was auto set to the hardest difficulty.. and you usually didnt last more than 30seconds - 2minutes into each scene :) Much more challenging.

At the time i played at release i dont know if it was a bug or just due to most people having insane lag.. but if you were on the zombie team and it was your turn to respawn about 50% of the time you would never respawn. You would just have to wait around for the next few minutes until you actually spawned or the round was over.

That along with the lack of content made me put it on the shelf for now. I might get it back out when this update is released if it hasnt been already. I dont really follow it anymore.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
I'm still enjoying it after couple weeks. So far the only downside for me is lack of more guns and no melee weapons.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont know about everyone else, but for me its good, simple, violent fun. The kind of shooting action we got back in the Serious Sam, Doom and Blood days. The kind of fun we dont see much of anymore.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
I haven't even seen any screeshots of this game let alone what is possible single vs online. I must be living under a rock...

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
It's not just the theme that makes it popular but the fact that really it's a fantastic co-op game. Very few good co-op games on the market today.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I think the main fun is playing versus or expermode co-op. There so many PvP online shooters out there its refreshing to just be able to play a co op game now and then

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Yeah youve nailed it already, single player sucks, multiplayer is where its at. Versus mode specifically... although some also find online campaigns fun.

Exactly, where L4D is truly exemplary is its extremely social nature. This game requires intimate teamwork like no other game I have ever played because there are so many situations where you're helpless without teammates. Should 3 survivors go down there is no chance in hell one player can solo it an entire level on skill alone.

Campaign mode is nice but the default Normal difficulty is getting way too easy, we need more servers set to Advanced by default, or perhaps even have Valve change the difficulty of each setting or even introduce a 5th level of difficulty.

If a player wants to see where the game shines they need to play on Expert or Vs.

Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Originally posted by: Saga

Single player can be useful for at least learning the maps before you jump online.

exactly

single player offers an excellent training ground for newer players to at least learn the basics instead of jumping online right away and screwing over their team

it also gives players a way to work on achievements or explore levels and play with cheats