Why is Jessica Lynch considered a hero?

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
all hype.
yeah i mean it sucks she got injured, but the "rescue" was all hype. and in fact she shouldnt have been over there in the first place....none of them should.

"and will be flown by military helicopter to an undisclosed location in West Virginia"

she must be meeting moleman cheney.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I have been asking this same question ever since she was found. But I had to stop after several people over heard me and threatened to kick my ass. She was a truck driver and made a wrong turn. I mean I feel bad that she had to go through what she did, but she still isn't a hero. Lets just hope they don't give her a Medal of Honor.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Same reason the people who died on 9/11 are considered heroes. The media and the general public don't know the difference between a victim and a hero.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Zorba
I have been asking this same question ever since she was found. But I had to stop after several people over heard me and threatened to kick my ass. She was a truck driver and made a wrong turn. I mean I feel bad that she had to go through what she did, but she still isn't a hero. Lets just hope they don't give her a Medal of Honor.

She is the vehicle with which the Administration sought to incite the masses against the peace nicks and Saddam lovers and truth tellers and climb aboard the Bush train.... to Utopia and the next item on the AGENDA...
MOH...???? She deserves the Purple Heart... maybe... but not much else... or anything else... no more brave than the next GI sloshing through the sands of time in another peculiar place..

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
The definition of hero has been broadened significantly in the recent past that it's disgusting.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It seems that all you have to do nowadays to become a hero is die or receive serious injures. Which is crap. There are many heros that are not dead, and many dead people that aren't heros.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Poor Jessica, first she was riding in a Humvee that broke down, then the occupants of that vehicle
were moved into accompanying vehicles to continue notrhward, the convoy became disjoined,
and strung out over several miles, and was hours behind - other vehicles had broken down as well.

They had gone without rest for up to 60 hours, were overly fatigued, and poor decisions were made in haste.
Then when they tried to rejoin the convoy main body after a series of misguided directions and wrong turns
came under fire from an arrack with various insundry weapons deployed against their fragmented line of vehicles.

Ahead of them while they were trying to flee at speeds between 40 to 50 miles per hour, a large truck
was either hit by an RPG or some weapon of substance which either toppled the vehicle, or the driver of the
vehicle lost control and the vehicle overturned - maybe the driver had been shot.
Anyway the vehicle with Jessica sitting in the middle of the back seat ran into the overturned vehicle
killing most of the occupants, and severly injuring Pvt, Lynch. The Iraqis did get her and the Indian girl
out of the vehicle and take them to the hospital, but one died on the way, Jessica was treated enough to survive.
She was elevated to Heroine status because she survived at a time that we needed a 'Feel-Good' story.

Good for her.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
come on, people magazine love this story, I feel sorry for the pain in her body but the hype was a circus, How many soldiers died so far, what about those no citizens soldiers who died in the begining of the war? and the press did no mention , is just a good history becuase she is white and blonde, let see the movie next year.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Yeah it's silly. I guess the logical thing to do would be to lionize the guy who was the most effective at "neutralizing" the enemy? Guess that wouldn't make for a wholesome family hero.

Actually, now that I think about it, Lynch isn't a public hero at all. A hero is respected and admired. People only feel sorry for her. Lynch wasn't made into a hero by the media, she was made into a publically available victim. She's been made into a sort of conduit for the vicarious feelings of pity and commiseration that we feel for all the troops we send into harms way.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
All of our men and women serving over there are heroes.

She's just an injured one that escaped death.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Well technically she was rescued from death by Iraqis and then hopefully rescued from permanent disability by Americans. In between she was rescued from her lifesavers by the US military.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

although it was overhyped, i agree. especially being a POW. im just wondering why she got all this press while her other soldiers who were imprisoned (the ones that were disgustingly shown by the iraqis) have not.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
This "war" needed a hero, the casualties and inconsistencies were already starting to sour people's opinion of the effort, a hero was just the thing needed to get through the rest of the war. I mean what is better than (from the original story) a woman and her comrades are ambushed by hundreds of iraqis she manages to kill several while pinned down and sustained several gunshot wounds and knife wounds, who only gave up because she ran out of ammo? Who is going to say that is not a hero? I mean the actual story is quite a bit different, but that type of sensationalism is usually just the ticket to stir nationalism and emotion, which as we all know blinds reason. I do very much respect her and all of the soldiers in iraq for doing their duty well however.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: bolinger
Originally posted by: Nitemare

That's wishful thinking.

Moreso than those some posting in Politics and News ;)

kornermi

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by: drewshin

although it was overhyped, i agree. especially being a POW. im just wondering why she got all this press while her other soldiers who were imprisoned (the ones that were disgustingly shown by the iraqis) have not.

Maybe because she looks like a very loveable young lady? Style over substance in this case.

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
"Not everybody has brains, but all have heart": you can always affect people with emotions instead of simply manipulating them or telling them the truth which needs to be understood. Most people need heroes to look up to and martyrs to admire. Notice that even reality shows catch quite a bit attention and lots of us care for the happenings and dramas in Big Br. as much as they care for their family, even though the rest of us considers reality shows common entertainment products. That's why 'stars' are so important even though they are like everybody else.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
The real heroes are the families that have to move on knowing their child died in the war.