Why is it that when going somewhere, it always seems faster coming back than going?

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Probably because when you are on your way there, you are either excited or dreading the trip. But on the way home, you can relax and enjoy the ride. ;)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's because as you are coming home, you are increasingly seeing more familiar surroundings, and subconsciously you don't think it's taking as long as it is. The areas you see all the time don't seem far away, so when you get back to vaguely familiar surroundings, you're "practically" home.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Processing data takes longer in your head than retrieving it...so you have seen the stuff already. ;) I dunno...just kinda made that up. :)

I've noticed this is only the case for good stuff...no going to Burger King or whatever. :p

Duckers

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2000
kranky, how about if you are going back to some place that you don't know well ? Then there would not be familiar surroundings!

Vich

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2000
"Probably because when you are on your way there, you are either excited or dreading the trip. But on the way home, you can relax and enjoy the ride. "

could be opposite yer happy to go on the way home yer dreading :)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't know, Duckers. In that case, does it still seem faster coming back?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
and 60 seconds is one minute.

and my life is a waste of time.

money, and effort.

KingHam

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I know what you mean NFS4. Same thing for TV commercials too. The second and third times I see them they seem much shorter.

KingHam

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
It seems longer going to me only when it's a new place, and I am more focused on the new surroundings. I guess if you're more conscious of your driving, and not lost in thought, the time seems to go more deliberately.
Coming home is usually an auto-pilot affair.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The opposite seems true for me.

It seems faster to go where I am going because I am usually speeding and anxious to get there. On the way back I am tired and usually driving slower to get home.