Why is Flagstaff, AZ so small?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I drove through it a couple times over the summer and it seems like a pleasant city. I've been looking at some data on it, and I'm really surprised it's not larger than it is. Tons of clear skies, moderate summers, sorta cold and snowy winters but nothing terrible. It's beautiful country around there with boatloads of national parks and forests within a couple hour drive. Las Vegas and Phoenix are close enough for a weekend trip. Sure it gets forest fires north of town sometimes, but as long as you don't live in the boonies that isn't too much of an issue. What am I missing?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
The market doesn't seem very good, but I don't get why. It seems like a place people would really want to live, which would draw employers in.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's at 7000 feet and has about 200+ days a year where it gets below freezing at some point in the day. It's almost 2 hours from a city of any significant size as well as that far away from an airport.

Plus it's overwhelmed with tourists/weekenders coming from downstate AZ. Sedona is worse though.

It's not for a lot of people.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
The market doesn't seem very good, but I don't get why. It seems like a place people would really want to live, which would draw employers in.

Meh, in arizona, thier are really three things that draw people in. Mines, DoD contracts, and transportation hubs (formerly big railroad centers, etc.). I don't believe flag has any of those. And usually, the jobs come first, then the people.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The cost of living is surprisingly high compared to what jobs are available there. A friend who lived there a few years once told me his theory of why the cost of living there is so high, but I've forgotten it by now.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Check into Prescott/Prescott Valley. Gets a bit warmer during the summer(but it's dry), but the winters aren't as harsh and there isn't anywhere as much snow(I see that as a good thing).

Real estate is more reasonable and it's not as tourist'y. Similar job markets (aka small). But it's cheaper to live there.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
That does look nice, but the average age of the population is absurdly high. Flagstaff is 26.8 and Prescott is 47.8. It doesn't matter though, even if I do move it won't be for years and years. I just happened to have Flagstaff on my mind after thinking about visitng out there again.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you want a similar climate, but a larger city with more corporate presense, look at Albuquerque, NM.

Crime is exponentially higher than Flagstaff though.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: vi_edit
If you want a similar climate, but a larger city with more corporate presense, look at Albuquerque, NM.

Crime is exponentially higher than Flagstaff though.

I can vouch for that. I was arrested in Albuquerque. The charges eventually got thrown out.;)