Discussion Why is BVO still allowed in soda and sports drinks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Heh, this goes back to a thread I made in ATOT called "What is your addiction?" with a poll of choices.

I honestly theorize that everyone has some type of addiction - be it sex, caffeine, soda/sugar/candy, legal drugs, illegal drugs, ciggs, alcohol, blah blah blah.
Mine is saving money.

But I used to drink about 5 liters a day of soda, mostly sugared soda, either DP or Coke. I gave it up on 8/13/2005, mid can. I never drank coffee or tea so I had nothing to replace the caffeine, but never had any effects from that. At first I'd drink sugar free Kool-aide and Gatorade once or twice a week, but gave that up too after a while. Also don't buy the shit for home, get used to drinking ice water at home and learn to drink water like you would pop (big drinks).

Nov 8, 2012
Mine is saving money.

But I used to drink about 5 liters a day of soda, mostly sugared soda, either DP or Coke. I gave it up on 8/13/2005, mid can. I never drank coffee or tea so I had nothing to replace the caffeine, but never had any effects from that. At first I'd drink sugar free Kool-aide and Gatorade once or twice a week, but gave that up too after a while. Also don't buy the shit for home, get used to drinking ice water at home and learn to drink water like you would pop (big drinks).

Mine (at this point at least) is definitely alcohol and caffeine.

Hoping to at least kill off that first one in the next month....

...But.... beer... so delicious....

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

I never got into beer or booze in general. Given that I tend to do everything in excess, probably a good thing.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I got a buddy thats drank almost nothing but mountain dew since he was a little kid. To the point he goes to bed with a can instead of a glass of water. He gets this thing where his thumbs go numb before he eats. Doctors think hes crazy but it sounds like it could be some kind of neurological thing from this bromide, he definately has memory issues too.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I got a buddy thats drank almost nothing but mountain dew since he was a little kid. To the point he goes to bed with a can instead of a glass of water. He gets this thing where his thumbs go numb before he eats. Doctors think hes crazy but it sounds like it could be some kind of neurological thing from this bromide, he definately has memory issues too.
He really should quit drinking that stuff. How old is he, he may have some permanent damage.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
My wife used to drink 4 cans a day when I met her and I thought that was crazy! I have an uncle who drank a 2L of Mountain Dew every day. Once they had a Type 1 diabetic child, he kicked the habit though, because they couldn't chance having it in the house.

I drink water and coffee. I drink a bit over half a gallon of water per day because I always have my bottle that I keep topped off at my desk or at home. I drink about 6 (8oz.) cups of coffee a day, so I guess a bit over a quart.

I feel like I pee every 15 minutes too.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Never seen the appeal of 'soda'. Though, ironically enough, I recently tried and failed yet again to give up coffee. I think I _am_ addicted to coffee. I gave up fruit juice (simply because it dawned on me just how calorific it is) and as a result seem to drink more coffee than ever.

I mean, what else is there? Water? (so boring!) alcohol? (frowned upon in working hours!). There's tea, I suppose, but that's just insipid coffee!

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
He really should quit drinking that stuff. How old is he, he may have some permanent damage.

He just turned 30, I've tried telling him and he knows its terrible for him but will likely never change even with a medical diagnosis. Hes a stubborn we all have to to die from something type. He can't stand water and really doesn't know anything else as his parents were giving him mountain dew in his baby bottles.

I haven't had a but a pop or two here and there in about 8 years. Drink only water and coffee after giving up beer last year. Don't know how anyone can drink pop at this point, last time I had one a few years ago it was too sweet, made me thirstier and made me feel sick to my stomach.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I'm not sure life would be worth living without at least a little alcohol now and then.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't know what that is, but I don't care because I haven't really had a soda or a "sports drink" in many many years. I find them disgusting (and the damn sports drinkers are mostly just sugar anyway. I don't understand how people tolerate those--I'm guessing the gatorade that traditionally or perhaps still is used for athletes as they compete is not the same shit that you purchase at 7-11)