Why is Astrobiology a legit major when we haven't found aliens?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I would not be surprised if they are here but hidden. Look like a pandemic does, can you just imagine if the knowledge of their existence was a real thing to the world? Its a movie cliche but it does exist as people will panic and shun what they don't understand. After having seen various things, i won't knock off the idea we may not be alone. I do believe if anything was found it would be VERY controlled so not the stir the hornets nest.

I don't focus on this stuff to much but its in the back of the mind cause who knows, who can and cant say what has been found? I speculate but that is it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
While science may be hitting the wall on some things it's potentially useful to model things like alternative life. The problem is that models need data to have any validity and right now we have one point, Earth.

Also, this is how the Weyland-Yutani Corporation got started.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I would not be surprised if they are here but hidden. Look like a pandemic does, can you just imagine if the knowledge of their existence was a real thing to the world? Its a movie cliche but it does exist as people will panic and shun what they don't understand. After having seen various things, i won't knock off the idea we may not be alone. I do believe if anything was found it would be VERY controlled so not the stir the hornets nest.

I don't focus on this stuff to much but its in the back of the mind cause who knows, who can and cant say what has been found? I speculate but that is it.
I never understood the idea that the population would panic if someone found a shrub on Mars. The public would more likely go "Wow, cool!" then forget about it 5 minutes later. All the national space agencies would be shouting about it to get funding.

Now if there was a fleet of Star destroyers parked in orbit that would be a different issue but no one would be keeping that quiet either.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I never understood the idea that the population would panic if someone found a shrub on Mars. The public would more likely go "Wow, cool!" then forget about it 5 minutes later. All the national space agencies would be shouting about it to get funding.

I would hope your right and would love to be with you on this, but i saw something over 10 years ago that would put the brakes on most peoples thinking.What i thought and then saw changed everything forever after that . It may not have been alien whatever it was i saw, but it certainly wasn't the Goodyear blimp. It landed on my top 3 wow moments and it lands in the second spot for sure. May have been why i came up with that conclusion. It was intense for sure.

I feel sorta tempted to mention what i saw, but i do feel most people in the forums fall under a seeing is believing kind of mindset myself included and well what i saw certainly would fall under unbelievable. Maybe in a future thread based on the craziest thing ever seen? I would assume it would be filled with absent minded trolls of course.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
1. we may never find any life anywhere outside our solar system due to technology limitations and sheer distances involved.

2. it has been speculated that any alien life will probably microscopic rather than complex lifeforms like us.

3. But equally likely to be some sort of giant lizard.

1590506817207.jpeg1590506817207.jpeg

fe79d01e8fe8b25aeeeae769e38cb655.jpg

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Now if there was a fleet of Star destroyers parked in orbit that would be a different issue but no one would be keeping that quiet either.

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet.

Reactions: WelshBloke

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet.
what about a sentient human made planetary probe?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

You forgot to mention a Wraith Hive ship coming to harvest. I would have added in a Goa'uld fleet but the Wraith would just feed on them unless they took the Hoffan drug. That be something to see, unless the ancients just take over Atlantis and fly their city over from the Pegasus Galaxy and just say fuck you to everything with their throne chair. They would need 3 zpms for sure, full arsenal of drones too and good luck with that. Maybe the Asgard fleet can join in too, but i heard they still dealing with replicators.

Oh fuck, the moment you realize you may be the biggest god damn stargate geek in the known universe. :D

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
"lets see if someone will pay me to chase around to meteorite sites and look at spectral analysis for an entire career" Degree :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I think the thing about finding ANY kind of life on Mars or anywhere else will blow up civilization as we know it. Religions are (generally) based on the "GOD" creating life on this planet...nothing is said about other planets...that makes us "speshul." Finding life elsewhere would most likely create quite a hold in those beliefs.

There may be life on the moon now.
lol

Can't count that...they're "illegal immigrants."