Why is Apple the only company making large size LCDs?

LoCache

Oct 5, 2002
There has to be some demand for the wide aspect ratios screens for the PC market? Why doesn't anyone make them for us?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
and it's bleeding-edge tech, Apple has had to delay shipping by a few weeks. (ed: the 17" laptop)

Apple also has a market that's willing to buy "coolness at any price," like the ipod at twice the cost of competing (but bulkier) mp3 portables when it was released. Most Dell customers want their systems a little cheaper.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
and it's bleeding-edge tech, Apple has had to delay shipping by a few weeks. (ed: the 17" laptop)

Apple also has a market that's willing to buy "coolness at any price," like the ipod at twice the cost of competing (but bulkier) mp3 portables when it was released. Most Dell customers want their systems a little cheaper.

Yep... i think apple's customer base is more or less concerned about how it looks bling bling... :D well at least that's what all my friends with macs tell me. :p gotta admit though... it looks a lot better than a biege refrigerator looking thing. :)

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

Yep... i think apple's customer base is more or less concerned about how it looks bling bling... :D well at least that's what all my friends with macs tell me. :p gotta admit though... it looks a lot better than a biege refrigerator looking thing. :)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
It's been so many years since any major OEM made biege colored machines. IBM was black back in the late P2 days (5 years ago). Dell and Gateway have been black, silver, or black and silver for 3 years (some of them tried Black back with the original Pentium computer but it didn't catch on at that time). Has Alienware or other similar small companies ever used beige?

Back to the main topic. Here is a quick glance at LCDs listed at CNET (I'm sure there are more big LCDs that aren't listed):
The Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop has a wide LCD display.
Nearly all LCD manufacturers make at least a 20.1" LCD
LG makes a 22" LCD
Sony makes a 23" LCD
KDS and Viewsonic make a 23.1" LCD
Samsung has a 24" LCD.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
My old IBM Aptiva P166 came all black w/ an external floppy/CD module which sat underneath the raised monitor. Stylish comp that one was.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dullard
It's been so many years since any major OEM made biege colored machines. IBM was black back in the late P2 days (5 years ago). Dell and Gateway have been black, silver, or black and silver for 3 years (some of them tried Black back with the original Pentium computer but it didn't catch on at that time). Has Alienware or other similar small companies ever used beige?
Thats not entirely true, I am sitting by my server thats an Dell Dimernsion 4100 in a biege case, and its not really an old computer, its a PIII 933.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
How about this.

3840x2400 native, 22.2 in., 16:10 aspect ratio. Although it is a little pricey.

-Keith

LoCache

Oct 5, 2002
Personally, I really used to like the Macs, but I just can't get past the white and silver thing they have. Just my opinion

I agree. I wasn't aware that NEC or Samsung made LCD's that had that 16:9 aspect ratio. I have to say, most people with Macs sure take pride in making a statement. It's like those frickin luxury SUVs. Why pay that extra price, when their computers don't have any signigant advantage other than looks and a OS to justify high prices for their less than great hardware.

IMHO of course. And I used to own a G4, back when it first came out. And it really just sucked as a computer. There are a lot of similarties between Apple and Microsoft, even though they don't like each other. But they both act, as companys, like spoiled children.

Remember that whole lawsuit when some el cheapo came out with an imac look alike.

I just think apple is a ugly company. But some of Mac heads are cool though. But they are usually the hacker types.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Viewsonic's new 17" widescreen LCD - HERE

Not quite as big as some of those screens, but it's got a built in HDTV 1080i tuner and it can be had for around $750... definitely wouldn't mind one on my desk.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: boyRacer

That might be part of it, but Macs are very popular with video editing types. The bigger the better and widescreen is a bonus. These are the types that spend US$1500 on a single piece of software.