Why is an "Assault Weapons" Ban even on the table?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Those who are asking why someone should be allowed to have a rifle like an AR-15 are missing the point entirely.

Regardless of whether or not one feels that an assault weapons ban would be a good idea, it is clearly unconstitutional after DC v. Heller, which states that the 2nd Amendment protects all arms "in common use".

The AR-15 is the best selling center-fire rifle in the United States at the moment. It is in common use, and therefore it is protected. The same follows for other rifles that are similar in nature, even if they are not quite as popular.

While magazine capacity restrictions were not addressed in Heller, the same "common use" argument could be applied. The magazine is necessary to the functionality of the firearm. If something like an AR-15 is protected under the 2nd Amendment, the magazines necessary to its functionality must be as well. Since 30 round magazines are the standard capacity magazine for a firearm in common use, the magazines of that capacity are also in common use, and it follows that they would also be protected under the 2nd Amendment.

Even if an assault weapons ban does pass, it will be struck down by the Supreme Court. So all those who want an assault weapons ban are doing is wasting their own time, and the taxpayer's time and money.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Common or not what is the point of an AR-15? Really. I dont hate on guns but what is the need of a military grade gun for non-military use? Other than the fact the "constitution" says we can?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Common or not what is the point of an AR-15? Really. I dont hate on guns but what is the need of a military grade gun for non-military use? Other than the fact the "constitution" says we can?

It doesn't matter what the point of having an AR-15 is.

But to answer your question, people use them for sporting purposes (they're fun to shoot, try it sometime), and for defense.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
I think people get scared when they hear "semi-automatic' and that is why the ban is on the table. Also, any gun can be used in an assault, regardless of 30 round clips and pistol grips.

"Assault weapon" as used in the name of this ban is complete rubbish and fear mongering.

Jun 26, 2007
It doesn't matter what the point of having an AR-15 is.

But to answer your question, people use them for sporting purposes (they're fun to shoot, try it sometime), and for defense.

It's an awful low quality gun that has no real purpose at all.

Using it for hunting would be retarded, using it to sometimes hit whatever large target you're trying to hit would be ok i guess.

A proper hunting rifle is much more fun if you're into target shooting or hunting but it's not going to make you feel like you're the hero of any video game which is what the kids these days want to feel like when shooting. Hell the looks of the rifle are more important than function to them.

Jun 26, 2007
I think people get scared when they hear "semi-automatic' and that is why the ban is on the table. Also, any gun can be used in an assault, regardless of 30 round clips and pistol grips.

"Assault weapon" as used in the name of this ban is complete rubbish and fear mongering.

As they should be since it's the only thing that makes mass shootings possible in any real world setting.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

I think you forgot to bold the automatic part ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm

Garand.jpg

The first military semi-automatic rifle. Does that look overly scary to anyone?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Why is an "Assault Weapons" Ban even on the table?

Because sheep get scared and are willing to give up their rights for a false sense of security. See: the TSA and HSA. Eeek! Toothpaste! Shampoo!

Jun 26, 2007

There is no use for it what so ever, it's not a military grade gun and it has no purpose what so ever.

Out of the weapons available it'd not be among the first 30 i'd use for anything what so ever and i'd consider anything beyond the first five completely useless.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Why is an "Assault Weapons" Ban even on the table?

Two main reasons:

1.) Perfect opportunity for the gun grabbers. Politicians who cater to them and/or are devout gun grabbers themselves will not waste this opportunity to gain public acceptance of doing something*2. And that something is whatever puke idea that's entered their heads and that they've jizzed onto paper.

2.) Politicians, regardless of where they fall personally on gun issues, need to be seen as sympathetic, and also, just as importantly, need to justify their existence. They need to be seen as doing something, anything, regardless if it makes a difference or not, or F's people or not.

Chuck

Jun 26, 2007
> Why is an "Assault Weapons" Ban even on the table?

Because sheep get scared and are willing to give up their rights for a false sense of security. See: the TSA and HSA. Eeek! Toothpaste! Shampoo!

Bullsheit, sure it's fun but it's not of any real use to any civilian. You can't use that for any serious target practice or hunting.

You're better off with any serious bolt action hunting rifle, it'd be A LOT better to use for both hunting and target practice.

Boys and their toys is one thing but grown men should know and use proper tools.

Two rifles i cherish are both American made and good weapons, one is a Remington 860 and the other is a S&W 30-06, these are great for hunting and target practice and neither of them would be considered an assault rifle.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Two rifles i cherish are both American made and good weapons, one is a Remington 860 and the other is a S&W 30-06, these are great for hunting and target practice and neither of them would be considered an assault rifle.

Quoted for posterity. Your opinion is invalid in matters regarding firearms.

Jun 26, 2007
I agree op.
We desperately need a law that bans murder instead.

This is so stupid, why would we ban civilians from owning nuclear weapons when we can just make genocides illegal?

THAT is your whole argument and it's an argument that not even a retarded hamster would make if given a second to think about it.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anti-gun zealots are just seizing on the political opportunity that has presented itself with the tragedy in Newtown. Sheeple around the country will be more than happy to go along with anything if someone says it will help prevent future tragedies, even if it obviously won't.

They are banking on one of the conservative justices on the court leaving and getting replaced by a more liberal one... then Heller can be overturned and the 2nd can be eviscerated. Don't forget, we came within 1 justice of the second amendment essentially getting thrown out.

Last edited:

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
I think you forgot to bold the automatic part ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm

Garand.jpg

The first military semi-automatic rifle. Does that look overly scary to anyone?

Sure, it was scary enough for the obama regime to block the return of Korean Garands to US taxpayers. The DOJ said they could fall into the "wrong hands".

Apparently gangbangers are going to jam a three and half foot long rifle down their pants.

Jun 26, 2007
Quoted for posterity. Your opinion is invalid in matters regarding firearms.

You don't like Remington shotguns and S&W rifles?

When it comes to carbines i kinda like the proper ones, not one of the proper ones were made by the US or Russia though, all of them are made in Israel, England and Germany.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Those who are asking why someone should be allowed to have a rifle like an AR-15 are missing the point entirely.

Regardless of whether or not one feels that an assault weapons ban would be a good idea, it is clearly unconstitutional after DC v. Heller, which states that the 2nd Amendment protects all arms "in common use".

The AR-15 is the best selling center-fire rifle in the United States at the moment. It is in common use, and therefore it is protected. The same follows for other rifles that are similar in nature, even if they are not quite as popular.

While magazine capacity restrictions were not addressed in Heller, the same "common use" argument could be applied. The magazine is necessary to the functionality of the firearm. If something like an AR-15 is protected under the 2nd Amendment, the magazines necessary to its functionality must be as well. Since 30 round magazines are the standard capacity magazine for a firearm in common use, the magazines of that capacity are also in common use, and it follows that they would also be protected under the 2nd Amendment.

Even if an assault weapons ban does pass, it will be struck down by the Supreme Court. So all those who want an assault weapons ban are doing is wasting their own time, and the taxpayer's time and money.

Heller allows for regulation on gun ownership, so an outright ban could be constitutional. But if not, then special conditions for the ownership of "assault weapons" would even more likely be constitutional.

And politicians aren't wasting time and money when they try to address a problem, even if you don't think its a problem, or that they will fail. They're elected to do what they think is right, that's not a "waste".

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
You don't like Remington shotguns and S&W rifles?

When it comes to carbines i kinda like the proper ones, not one of the proper ones were made by the US or Russia though, all of them are made in Israel, England and Germany.

Remington doesn't make an 860, and S&W made .30-06 rifles for about six months for discontinuing them.

I'd normally not point this out, but it is fairly obvious that you know nothing about guns. An AR-15 is as accurate as most bolt action rifles, and is perfectly suitable for target shooting.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Heller allows for regulation on gun ownership, so an outright ban could be constitutional.

The issue in Heller was the outright ban on handguns by Washington DC. It was ruled that this ban was unconstitutional, because handguns were in common use.

An outright ban of "assault weapons" would be clearly unconstitutional under this standard.

But if not, then special conditions for the ownership of "assault weapons" would even more likely be constitutional.

Possibly. But considering "assault weapons" are defined by cosmetic features, and are functionally identical to "sporting rifles", the government would have a hard time justifying this in court.

And politicians aren't wasting time and money when they try to address a problem, even if you don't think its a problem, or that they will fail. They're elected to do what they think is right, that's not a "waste".

Making unconstitutional laws is a waste.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

First, the issue is not about need.

But what is the point of an AR? Whatever the user wants it to be.

I use mine for fun target and plinkin, I hunt varmit, javelina, and whitetail with it, and it's handy for everyday defensive purposes and especially if something really bad happens and there's no government services or support for 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They carried some nice guns in Iraq. .50 cal snub nosed round shoots straight through a car door.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is so stupid, why would we ban civilians from owning nuclear weapons when we can just make genocides illegal?

THAT is your whole argument and it's an argument that not even a retarded hamster would make if given a second to think about it.

You give these dolts far more credit than they are due. A retarded hampster would be an intellectual giant among them.